1t & 2t per week games?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

NicM

1t & 2t per week games?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:18 am

Hi Havok et al,

How about the occasional 1t & 2t per week game?

I know 3t/week is often more popular, but I don't have time to do that, especially as the game moves on. Floating schedules like 1t/72h are also nice, or perhaps things like "3t/week until turn 25 then 2t/week". I know a couple of other people who often can't really consider 3t/week games as well.

Also, this is a bit of a nitpick but would it be possible to always put the game richness in the description? Knowing HW richness is nice and all but the one that really makes a difference is the general planet richness... rare, normal, or rich? You do mention it often but sometimes not, perhaps some sort of standard template for game details would be useful?

I like normal universe richness, very high HW richness/money/cols, no addons at all and no ion storms, personally. I don't like to join rich games except as a replacement in any case, so the odd normal game would be appreciated, if there are enough other people who would want them as well.

It would be nice if you would also mention if voting to end is permitted (unless it always is, are there site rules somewhere I'm missing?).

I'm not going to join another game for a few weeks so this stuff isn't that important, I just thought I'd mention it. I do check back occasionally to agonise about whether I have the time and all these 3t/week games do make it easier to decide :-).

-- Nic.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:29 pm

Perhaps, instead of a set turn number for reducing the fequency of turns, the players should just be allowed to vote on it at some point. Also, I have found that at certain points in the game, I've got my freighter routes set up and a lot of things become automated (Thanks again PCC!) so my turns end up taking a lot less time. Maybe a vote to increase the turn frequency would be in order at that time?

I would also like to see the general richness listed. In fact, would it be possible to just post all the settings for the game? This is also important in add-on games where a lot of things are configurable.

I'd like to point out, since you mentioned that you prefer normal richness games, that higher richness favors the build-fighters-in-space carrier races. I play CoM as my first choice. I honestly think that in a high richness game things would be almost too easy for CoM.

NicM

Post#3 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:22 pm

I like your first idea, although going overboard with voting tends to make the game a bit of an inconvenience.

Ditto having all settings would be nice.

Higher richness is traditionally said to favour the carrier races, because more minerals means more carriers and the heavy carriers are stronger than the heavy torp ships (before you say "more torp ships too", remember they still have to squeeze into the same 500 slots).

This is, on the whole, true but I wouldn't say it was _too_ easy for any one race. For Cols, it can mean more carriers, but if you screw up or are unlucky that can just be more carriers for the Priv to steal. Bot or Xtal might think it means more torps for more mines and webs, but it also means more HPs for their opponents. Normal richness does tend to be more even, and favours better players (those who know how to run their economy). Rare is the extreme form of this - you really need to be good at economy - but I find it a bit slow and irritating. Normal is a good compromise between not having to do any work and having to do too much :-).

The problems with ascore overscoring fighter building get worse in a rich game too. But that's making it easier to look big, not easier to actually be it :-).

Sysop
Site Admin

Re: 1t & 2t per week games?

Post#4 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:41 am

NicM wrote:Hi Havok et al,

How about the occasional 1t & 2t per week game?

Nic, I hear ya, and plan to do that with some future games. This isn't the 1st time it's been brought up.

Also, this is a bit of a nitpick but would it be possible to always put the game richness in the description? Knowing HW richness is nice and all but the one that really makes a difference is the general planet richness... rare, normal, or rich? You do mention it often but sometimes not, perhaps some sort of standard template for game details would be useful?

That's something to address as well. I've got a limit of 255 characters in those descriptions and I try to jam as much in there as possible. AT doesn't accept line breaks or anything like that. That's why the desciptions look so sloppy :) Maybe I should try and come up with a template.

It would be nice if you would also mention if voting to end is permitted (unless it always is, are there site rules somewhere I'm missing?).

Most games actually say when they end and something along the lines of "unless otherwise decided". Input is always accepted from all players. That's another reason why I put up a forum for each game, so all the players can communicate outside of the game with each other and me.
Best Regards,

Joe

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:44 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Perhaps, instead of a set turn number for reducing the fequency of turns, the players should just be allowed to vote on it at some point. Also, I have found that at certain points in the game, I've got my freighter routes set up and a lot of things become automated (Thanks again PCC!) so my turns end up taking a lot less time. Maybe a vote to increase the turn frequency would be in order at that time?

Zap, see my response to Nic... An idea would be to post a poll on "said" game's forum to end the game... That would require all players (or remaining players) to actually be signed up for the forums. That I don't see happening for a while. 8) As of today I've got 97 users on the site, and a mere 25 are signed up for the forums.
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#6 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:03 am

Sysop wrote:... As of today I've got 97 users on the site, and a mere 25 are signed up for the forums.

<OT>I like the way you put the most recent posts on the front page of the site. Has it helped get people on the forums?</OT>

What about putting the configuration settings in the forum page for the game? Kill two Meteors with one Patriot, eh? :wink:

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:11 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote:... As of today I've got 97 users on the site, and a mere 25 are signed up for the forums.

<OT>I like the way you put the most recent posts on the front page of the site. Has it helped get people on the forums?</OT>

What about putting the configuration settings in the forum page for the game? Kill two Meteors with one Patriot, eh? :wink:

No, so far it hasn't

As for the config file int the forums, if you could show me a program that will extract it into a text format and I'll be happy to do it. 8)
Best Regards,

Joe

NicM

Post#8 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:07 am

> Nic, I hear ya, and plan to do that with some future games. This isn't the 1st time it's been
> brought up.

Okay, cool :-)

> That's something to address as well. I've got a limit of 255 characters in those descriptions and
> I try to jam as much in there as possible. AT doesn't accept line breaks or anything like that.
> That's why the desciptions look so sloppy Smile Maybe I should try and come up with
> a template.

Oh, another unimpressive AT feature. How do other AT sites deal with this? 255 chars isn't a lot :-/

> As for the config file int the forums, if you could show me a program that will extract it into
> a text format and I'll be happy to do it.

If you mean the HCONFIG, I believe VPA produces a HCONFIG.TXT file. I'm not sure whether it needs to see the turn with the messages or can pull it from the HCONFIG.HST file. In either case you can just run it in batch mode (/B) at the the start of the game and pull out the HCONFIG.TXT. Most addons have text config files already.

If you mean master config, it doesn't save a config file but you could consider using amaster and writing a simple script to extract the details from its config file. Or just publishing the whole file.

Return to “Game Suggestions”