Blitzkrieg! Birdmen Perspective

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Andor

Blitzkrieg! Birdmen Perspective

Post#1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 am

In the earlier stages of this game I wanted to focus my attack on the toughest race. I used AScore on Circus Maximus, coupled with the layout of the galaxy to discern that the race to beat was the Borg.

Turn ~18 the Borg had twice as many planets than any other race and was gaining 3 to 8 planets a turn. That is when I started to use various in-game messages to try to rally the rest of the Echo Cluster against them.

Turn 25 I was able to launch a small scale sneak attack (3 Dark Wings, 1 Resolute, and 6 Brights) on the Borg core worlds. Some costly mistakes and an Ion storm had me retreating by turn 37.

Turn 29 I have made contact with the Crystals and we agree to an alliance and thus set FF status.

Turn ~46 The Crystals and I sign an NAP with the Colonies of Man. No clear border was set, but at the time of the signing the Colonials say they are focused to the east (Privateers contested areas) and have no plans to expand north (Borg and Birdmen contested areas).

Turn 52 The ion storm has dissipated and the Borg have just regained Nervondonia. They have regained ownership of all their Core World planets. 183 LYs now separate Nervondonia and my nearest planet Canes Delta. They only sent a small fleet to Nervondonia containing 1 Biocide, 1 Annihilation, 1 Quietus, and a LDSF. Only the Biocide moves onto the planet, the rest remain in the warp well. Over Nervondonia I have 3 Dark Wings and 1 Resolute cloaked along with 10 Brights sitting fuelless.

Turn 53 I'm thinking I can use all 10 Brights to EGG the Biocide and it should be gone. Wrong! Configs clearly say 7 I just didn't realize what that meant until afterwards. So the Biocide escapes with 77% damage and moves into the warp well with the other ships. That left the planet undefended when I dropped clans a recaptured. Now they have to move back to the planet if they want it back, but they know what's there now!

Turn 58 The Colonials start to move a Cobol north and sweep a web field. 3 turns later they lay a small minefield of their own.

Turn 62 I manage to hold the Borg off before he ever started to progress south to my core worlds. I've since destroyed that Anni I spoke of before and the Biocide, Quietus, and LDSF are retreating. The Crystals and I are pressing the Borg hard on multiple fronts expanding ~850 LYs. The Crystals have been goading and taunting the Borg for some time now and I have received complaints from the Borg about the Crystals methods. I respond with cordial words of advice, lets just play. Okay I used more words, but that was the just of it.

Turn 64 The Colonials are still moving north and lay a considerably larger minefield (72 LY Radius). The NAP was definitely null and void at this point as they have cut-off my direct access to attack Borg planets. Not to mention I have planets inside their new minefield.

Turn 67 The Crystals re-lay web mines where the Colonials had swept them on Turn 58. Only this time it was much larger (95 LY Radius).

Turn 70 The Cobol mentioned before destroys a Crystal owned Resolute. I never did ask who initiated the battle. It didn't matter to me, like I said the NAP was already null and void at this point. At least in my opinion it was.

Turn ~71 The Borg appear to start submitting blank turns, at least no ship movement anyway. It was quite a shame they quit at this point. Almost every base we took up to this point and even afterwards was heavly defended and required the lose of at least one Dark Wing or Two Emeralds. Its my opinion that we are still playing this game today if they hadn't thrown in the towel.

Turn 78 The Colonial planets are far easier to take than the Borgs. I'm able to capture one of their starbases with 281 clans. According to Super Spy missions they have little to no defense posts created. Yet, the supplies and MC are available to build them.

Turn 81 The Borg HW Estes falls. No real accomplishment here as there was no resistance.

Between turn 81 and 95 the Colonies mention they will not be able to continue playing due to an upcoming vaction and limited internet access. By the time he made the announcement the Crystals had captured 3+ Virgos.

Turn 101 The Colonies HW Gumball falls. Since they quit I feel little accomplishment from this as well.

Turn 109 The End

Over the course of the game I made a bad assumptions (apparent now) about the Borg being allied with the Feds. I had seen the Borg flying around in Fed hull types. I was unaware at the time that the Crystals were invading the Fed core worlds. It is more likely the Borg poached some of the Fed ships caught in Crystal webs.

Another assumption I had ... I attributed the map layout to the Borgs advantage. Afterwards I relize something else played to their favor beyond the scope of game setup. With the Feds forced to defend early on this left several planets to their south open for the Borg to colonize. Those would remain uncontested for ~30+ turns. Also, one of the other Hyperdrive races (Empire) was forced to defend in the early stages as well.

Worth mentioning: The Borg cut off my eastern entry into the center. This was well played by them. By the time I got there (turn 20) every planet I subsequently came across, with the exception of two planets, was lifeless (Borg clans) or infested with Amorphous worms. The two exceptions were in the process of being assimilated.

Also worth mentioning: There is a conflict between RacePlus sabotage (EGG) and Host starbase repair mission. If the Birdmen EGG a ship that is the target of a starbase repair mission, that ship cannot be destroyed even if sabotage damage is greater than 100%.

I like the way the score ended with the Crystals on top. All I provided was a strong economy for making torps and cloaking ships. He did the rest. Some of you may not agree with the Crystals use of in-game message, but realize his goal was to get you to attack. After all, how can he capture your ships if they stay over planets with fuel? There were counter measures that could have been taken, quitting is not one of them.

Overall the only thing I feel accomplished about was keeping my starter ships the entire game and capturing the Borg and Colonial starting SDSFs. I enjoyed the pace of the game as much as I'm enjoying all this free time I have now ;) Thanks to the players that stuck it out and kudos to the Privateers for trying to unite the remaining races.

casebolt

Re: Blitzkrieg! Birdmen Perspective

Post#2 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:14 pm

I Assume you won the Game because the Game index is not working for me, grats if you did and enjoyed your run down. Birds are my favorite race and butting heads with the Borg and their insane defenses (Clan overlod) is a pain to say the least. The logistics of getting 10 Egg layers (Race Plus) over one Planet would had been a feat in its self so grats on that.

Question: when you said 10 were laid and only 7 went off is that a config setting? Also if you blow a ship up with Egg/Eggs do you get PBPs?

With that said it seems like the Borg had to overcome a great deal more having the Birds, Crystals and Com? Will Look at the Game Index when its up and check out the graph.

Blitz game sounds like fun and reminds me of the 90s when most games were daily and this does keep your mind memory sharper than a non daily game IMO.

Tx for your perspective hope to hear more about this.
I would take the Egg mission over Super Spy any day.
Super Spy mission it is broken to me, the intent is to steal minerals/supplies/MCs but the more ships you have over a Planet with Super Spy increases the chance of All the ship being uncloaked! #-o Casebolt.........

Andor

Post#3 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:39 pm

casebolt wrote:I Assume you won the Game because the Game index is not working for me, grats if you did and enjoyed your run down.
I'm 2nd on the player list. 1st player (Crystals) was the only ally I had.
casebolt wrote:Birds are my favorite race and butting heads with the Borg and their insane defenses (Clan overlod) is a pain to say the least.
The Borg is my favorite, but the Birds are a close second.
casebolt wrote:The logistics of getting 10 Egg layers (Race Plus) over one Planet would had been a feat in its self so grats on that.
This got easier and easier as the game progressed. I had packs of Brights similar to a Privateer wolf pack waiting for unsuspecting ship to sabotage. My fleet consisted primarily of:

MDSF (Starbase+)
Brights (Race+ Sabotage)
Resolutes (Carried supplies for restocking the Brights)
Dark Wings (Destroying squishy ships and finishing capital ships that had been sabotaged)
casebolt wrote:Question: when you said 10 were laid and only 7 went off is that a config setting?
Yes, "Number Of Ships Sabotaging" was set to 7. It makes perfect sense now. In one turn only 7 ships can preform the Sabotage mission. Even if the 8th ship is targeting a different ship in another location it will not fire. However, you do not lose the 40 supplies if you make that mistake. You do lose the 1 KT of fuel.
casebolt wrote:Also if you blow a ship up with Egg/Eggs do you get PBPs?
Nope, and this led to some mistakes trying to damage larger ships enough for a Dark Wing to destroy it for the PBPs. Also, no <<Long Range Sensors>> Distress call and explosion message is received either. It was a discreet way of blowing up a ship. I found in some cases Echoview would report the ship destroyed a turn or two later. No small gray circle though.
casebolt wrote:With that said it seems like the Borg had to overcome a great deal more having the Birds, Crystals and Com?
CoM were focused on the Privateers and were supposed to let the Crystals and I remove the Borg threat from his northern eastern border. The CoM's breakage of the NAP would have worked in the Borgs favor. By the time it happened the Borg had stopped submitting turns. The CoM mentioned running into and destroying only one Borg base when fighting with the Privateers. CoM was an independent acting solely on their own accord.
casebolt wrote:Blitz game sounds like fun and reminds me of the 90s when most games were daily and this does keep your mind memory sharper than a non daily game IMO.
Indeed, I have more trouble nowadays remembering what I was doing from turn to turn with games that run 3x or even 2x times a week. Blitz games definitely help the memory impaired :lol:
casebolt wrote:I would take the Egg mission over Super Spy any day.
Super Spy mission it is broken to me, the intent is to steal minerals/supplies/MCs but the more ships you have over a Planet with Super Spy increases the chance of All the ship being uncloaked!
Most of the time my ships were set to use the normal SuperSpy mission (FC x##) and not the Deluxe. I used it to find existing FC for free passage through that planets minefields. I did change quite a few planetary FC to EGG. When sabotaging a ship over a base it is safest to set the mission to SuperSpy or else my ships would be susceptible to force a surrender. I had the intention of using the mf# FC against someone, but I never did get the perfect planet (<30 defense post and low planet ID). I would agree, sabotage is the superior advantage ... almost over powered. However, without SuperSpy immunity to force a surrender, you'd be limited to where you could safely use it.
Last edited by Andor on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andor

Post#4 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Andor wrote:Some of you may not agree with the Crystals use of in-game message, but realize his goal was to get you to attack. After all, how can he capture your ships if they stay over planets with fuel? There were counter measures that could have been taken, quitting is not one of them.
I've been thinking about that last part "quitting is not one of them." I failed to mention that I drew a direct correlation between the complaints I had received in-game and the quitting of a player. Correlation does not imply causation, thus there may have been other factors beyond my knowledge that contributed to that races "throwing in the towel"

Lord Firefall

Post#5 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 pm

I don't think the Borg quit due to the messages from the Crystal, even though I personally think they crossed the line and were more mean spirited than strategic. In my opinion, the Borg quit due to the appearance of a Bird/Crys/Col alliance, and the futility of fighting that. As you admit now, you had a NAP with the Col and the movements that were made at a certain point looked more like an alliance than a NAP. By the time the Colonies broke that NAP, the Borg had stopped submitting turns.

The Bird/Crystal are a powerful combination and you played it well. I think it could have turned out a lot more interesting had the Col. or the Robots been a little more far-sighted and teamed up against you. Alas, I guess that wasn't meant to be. There was no way I could prevail while fighting Bird/Crystal at the same time I was battling Robots and Col.

Overall all though - it was a good game considering I haven't played since 2001.

Andor

Post#6 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Lord Firefall wrote:I personally think they crossed the line and were more mean spirited than strategic.
I agree as well, but talking with the Crystals he didn't think it was too much at all. I think maybe Sociology could explain why he had a difference of opinion. I do think he scaled it back as the game went on.
Lord Firefall wrote:As you admit now, you had a NAP with the Col and the movements that were made at a certain point looked more like an alliance than a NAP. By the time the Colonies broke that NAP, the Borg had stopped submitting turns.
~10 turns before the Borg quit there was data available to them that indicated there was no alliance (ff or FF) with the Colonials. For instance pay close attention to p238 - Arigo and s069 - Cobol from TRNs 57 to 64:

- TRN 58 - Colonials take p238 - Arigo, owned by Privateers. They missed hitting a small web field centered at that planet.
- TRN 59 to 60 - I would have assumed alliance too, but the following two turns the web field shrank faster than the decay rate. I'm not sure how much info you and the Borg shared, but they had at least one ship set to mine sweep at or near p235 - Challenger 5.
- TRN 61 - The Colonials lay a minefield overlapping the web. The data that would have been interesting was the fact that that turn the web shrank according to normal decay due to mission set to Lay Mines.
- TRN 62 - Mine Sweeping >> Long Range Sensor message about explosions in my territory, near Colonial territory. This was similar to messages you seen in Privateer territory that were the result of Colonial fighters sweeping mines.
- TRN 62 to 63 - The colonials change their mission back to Mine Sweep as the web is now shrinking faster than normal decay rate. On TRN 63 the Colonial ship leaves the planet and misses hitting a web yet again.
- TRN 64 - The Colonial ship re-enters the web but his luck finally runs out as their Cobol hits a web and its warp speed is set to 0.
- TRN 65 - The web is swept completely
- TRN 70 - The Borg started to submit blank turns either this turn or one of the next few turns to come. This is also when the Cobol destroys a Crystal Resolute and I feel the NAP was broken. I'm sure some would say he broke it much sooner, but I'm more lenient.

Maybe it looked like we were allied because The Borg had bases that far south that got in the Colonials way on his pursuit after the Privateers. It's my opinion that because we had turns everyday that minor details like the examples above were missed that lead to false assumptions. I will admit I made some bad one myself this game.
Lord Firefall wrote: I think it could have turned out a lot more interesting had the Col. or the Robots been a little more far-sighted and teamed up against you. Alas, I guess that wasn't meant to be.
I agree 100% with that scenario as well. I would have preferred to see the Borg stick it out and maybe teach the Crystals a bit of manners ;=P

Return to “Blitzkrieg!”