Game Summary

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FireAge

Game Summary

Post#1 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:05 am

Ok, here is my game summary. JonnyDoh was nice enough to share his last RST with me, so the last image map shows the Fed and Rebel occupied zone as well. Was hoping for more RST, but oh well. Image links are clickable and link to Flickr because that is in their terms of use, not because there is anything of interest there :P. I decided to move away from my previous method of making game summaries, as they were a bit on the boring side!

All right, this is it, the fight for the title of King of the Hill on Circus-Maximus. It’s been a long time since this was discussed, and now suddenly it is here. Let’s get ready to rumble…

Code: Select all

Team economic analysis
Team       TorpRace FighterRace Minerals Credits Fuel Hyperspace Extra 
Lizonies   Lizard   Colonies    ++       ++      ++   -  
Febel      Fed      Rebel       -        ++      =    ++         Refit 
Fabot      Fascist  Robot       =        +       =    -  
Bipire     Bird     Empire      =        =       =    +  

Team combat analysis
Team      TorpShip Carrier PBP FightBases Cloaking Harassment Mines Extra
Lizonies  -        -       =   =          +        ++         +     150%
Febel     +        +       =   +          -        -          =     +3 bays
Fabot     =        +       +   +          +        +          ++
Bipire    ++       ++      ++   ++         ++       +          -     Spy
  
Lizonies:
775 Marcel Arimont (Marcel)                Void Commander       126 99.37%
776 Arend Hiddema  (FireAge)               Sector Menace        194 99.63%
Fabot:
794 Steve Stephan  (Admiral Duggan)        Void Commander       104 99.45%
866 Mick Staton    (Rear Admiral Nagood)   Planetary Buccaneer   22 83.38%
Febel:
680 John Pokornik  (Harcourt Fenton Mudd)  Stellar Scourge       66  87.87%
583 Jonathan Sue   (JonnyDoH)              Void Commander       159  99.57%
Bipire:
596 Stefan Hunger  (Caligula)              Sector Menace        213  96.85%
595 Armin Urban    (Funny Fexer)           Star Admiral         327  98.85%

Turn 1. Not very happy about where we started. We have the right upper corner, but it’s very spread out which will slow colonization. In addition, we have started out with low colonist and cash, which means a different strategy from the normal LDSF and LCC. But then again, those conditions are not so bad for lizard, so let’s not complain!
My plan is to build a few MDSF and a reptile. The MDSF will check out the nearest clusters and the Reptile will fly to my ally to provide hissing support, colonizing along the way.

Of course, after the first turn, it turned out that in fact, this was a mistake, and we needed to have more cash and colonist… oh well, it’s just one MDSF instead of a LDSF, at least I build it with W9 instead of W8…
New strategy is to build a lot of LDSF, on Reptile to my ally, and LCC for scouting west. The east I ignore for now, it can always be colonized later. Better to expand into my enemy’s terrain first.
In turn 7, I spot Robotic LDSF to my west heading out to two nearest clusters. I mark their path in VPA, and their scanning range. I must make sure to only send cloakers into his scanning range, so I quickly send LDSF into the nearby cluster before he gets close enough.

Meanwhile the competition is also expanding fast, at least the Bird / Empire combo. By turn 10 they have managed to keep up with my Lizard expansion, which is impressive and our outgrowing my colonial ally. The other two teams are starting to fall behind already, which is not strange even if I would have expected the fascist to keep up a bit.

At this point, I decide to focus on building LCC only. I will build LCC and bases, and those bases will be given to the Colonies to build Virgo, which are way stronger than my T-Rex. I also decided to go for the kill on the Robot, or at least to grab a few freighters before he throws down to many minefields for me to handle without colonial support.
By Turn 20, I have captured only 1 Robot freighter and maybe 5 Robot planets by clan drop. Not at all what I hoped for, unfortunately. Robot responded by sending Instrumentality towards my cloakers to protect his freighters, but that’s not very usefull… In addition, his LDSF are still moving east, straight towards my planets and cloakers. Great, I love free freighters!

We have also discovered the Bird and Empire south of my ally and they are rocking the house. By turn 20, they have managed to colonize an amazing amount of planets and build a massive amount of freighters. It’s clear that no one is harassing them, which could really come to bite us in the behind when the game progresses.

At this point, I should have stopped attacking the Robot, turned around and fully concentrate on the Bird/Empire. However, I was close to completely breaking up the Robot, and didn’t want to give him time to build Golem which would ruin my day, so I focused on breaking him down.

By turn 30, several minefields had popped up, so we decided to import a single W1 Virgo + Cobol towing crew with a lot of fighters. This Virgo was also used to destroy all Instrumentality defending Robot space, by towing them to it. Meanwhile, the Fascist happily continued to colonize more planets…

By now it was clear the Robot was going to die. Not only did he not lay massive minefields to lock down my cloakers in time, he also did not get a single POP ship from his Klingon ally to defend his region. And he did not use teleport to defend his bases against clan drop. He even had a jumpgate next to his homeworld, but no Fascist ships decided to come through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

On the other side of the universe… the Bird/Empire have thrown down a jumpgate… and have shown 8 Gorbie and 8 Dark Wing.
Ouch. We have a whopping 11 Virgo to counter that at this time… And they are in Colonial hands, making them worthless against Gorbie, even more so, since they don’t have a whole lot of fighters in them yet…. (But maybe they are bluffing with empty Gorbie, who knows!)
As my ally said: “Wouldn’t it have been lovely to have some Mk8 T-Rex now in addition to those Virgo…”
Sir, yes sir… ooops. Well at least I build 39 Lizard Class Cruisers, actively converting Robot territory into Lizard breeding grounds… Guess I should have build 20 less for 10 more T-Rex.

This was the start of the longest game of cat and mouse played in a long long time. On the one side, we were the empire Gorbies with a single SSD flying back and forth trying to tempt us into fighting. On the other side were Virgo, slowly getting filled up and turned into Lizard balls of death.
But… neither side can attack the other side. Because of the fricken left side advantage for fighter carriers. A Gorbie vs a colonial Virgo with the Gorbie on the left is 95% victory, swapping sides, the Virgo goes to 15% chance instead of 5%. Turning it into a Lizard Virgo changes that to 15% and 35% a huge difference, especially if multiple ships fight after one another. And those Gorbie were low on fuel, so they could not move too much, making the turns pass by painfully slow.
In addition with Lizard funded minefields, his Dark Wing had no chance to get anywhere. They could not fly to planets to tow ships to their doom without risking hitting a mine and decloaking. They could not counter-mine as we had some Gemini filled with fighters set to sweep. So all they could do is slowly build up their forces with ever increasing beam strength. They did manage to kill a base or two/three, but that was about it.
By turn 40, it was clear to us (ok must admit Marcel already said we lost 10 turns ago, but I am an ignorantly positive man :mrgreen: ) that we were not going to beat their force. It was growing at the same size or faster than ours. However, they were still very low on fuel, and not progressing into our territory at all, so our goal was to just ignore them and colonize the rest of the world.

Colonizing Fascist worlds is hard work for a Lizard, even if they are only protected by LDSF… Capturing bases, Teleporting in more clans, and capturing more bases was working ok but slow. Of course it does help if no POP ships are blocking my progress and having 36 LCC does help there…
We were hoping for a Federation owned fleet of Rushes attacking the Empire/Bird from the east. But when the Fed send around an email announcing that he was surprised to find that his Loki were not decloaking the Bird, we kinda lost hope there :P
Meanwhile, we were still playing cat and mouse with the Gorbie fleet. Moving back and forth between 5 planets, with no one going anywhere, but still losing time and sleep trying to optimize our results. An SSD towed to death here, a Gorbie there. But slowly also losing Virgo, and not replacing them quickly at all.

Here we had 16 Virgo and 1 T-Rex, vs 16 Gorbie and 16 Dark Wing. But… where is the second fleet of this mighty Lizard/Colonial army? Our opponents can see in the score that the Robot has been annihilated and they didn’t do it. So there must be second big fleet somewhere?
Meanwhile on the other side of the universe, the LCC were playing a nice game of cards…
Turn 50….

Only the Robot homeworld still exists, but we are towing a captured Merlin there to soften it enough for the one Virgo to kill it!
But wait a minute, what about that jumpgate that Robot built which has been hanging below his homeworld since turn 10 or so. Shouldn’t we have done something about that?

Yes, yes we should have ;-(
At turn 50 suddenly a small force of Gorbie (x5) jumps into this jumpgate with and SSD and some freighters. So we jump after it with most of our Virgo fleet the turn after, and manage to destroy the gate before more Gorbie fly through! Yes!

Oh wait, didn’t he bring some freighters along? ….

Turn 54, after a valiant chase of those Gorbie and freighters, we ended up 5 ly short of the newly build jumpgate location, with not enough Virgo in range to destroy it’s defending forces. Next turn, any number of Gorbie can fly through and our freshly conquered terrain will start to evaporate. Game over man, game over 

Final Map and Score:

Game conclusions:
1: Never ever never only build LCC, you need T-Rex Virgo combo to compete
2: Don’t wait for the Empire/Bird to come to you
3: Don’t allow jumpgate into this game without reading up on what it does. It’s a huge advantage to the Bird/Empire combo
4: Make sure there are 4 strong competing teams. Can’t comment on Fexer/Caligula turns, but Marcel and myself exchanged multiple emails per turn in order to sync all info per turn. Very time consuming. You need to have an ally who is similar to you in playing style and willing to put in the same amount of time! The other two teams clearly did not support each other enough to be able to compete.

Game assumptions:
Team Bird/Empire must have had some pretty good planets to start with, in order to grow as fast as they did :wink:

Fexer

Re: Game Summary

Post#2 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi FireAge,

thanks a lot for your expressive game report.
It was real fun reading it! :thumbup:

Let me comment on this:

>Game conclusions:
>1: Never ever never only build LCC, you need T-Rex Virgo combo to compete
Well, I think it can work. But in general it's always a good thing to keep your fleet a little bit more balanced.

>2: Don’t wait for the Empire/Bird to come to you
We have a common saying "Attacking is the best way to defend yourself".

>3: Don’t allow jumpgate into this game without reading up on what it does. It’s a huge advantage to the Bird/Empire >combo

Jump gates, if properly used can be an advantage to every Combo not only Bird/Empire. But they also have its drawback. They can be really dangerous, especially left undefended in your backyard.
I would like to remind you here, we only took the last combo available.... :D So, you voted for Lizard/Colonial, that's
not our fault! ;-)

>4: Make sure there are 4 strong competing teams. Can’t comment on Fexer/Caligula turns, but Marcel and myself >exchanged multiple emails per turn in order to sync all info per turn. Very time consuming. You need to have an ally >who is similar to you in playing style and willing to put in the same amount of time! The other two teams clearly did not >support each other enough to be able to compete.

I absolutely agree with you here. We had about the same thoughts while the Lizards were eating up Robot territory without any hint of defending Robot forces. The Robot/Fascist combo is and must be a nightmare for the Lizard. (once played properly). This was the reason why we wanted to have seasoned players (teams) to compete here. But at the end we should be glad the Scenario came to a start at all. :-)

>Game assumptions:
>Team Bird/Empire must have had some pretty good planets to start with, in order to grow as fast as they did :wink:

Well, I personally would have swapped my "homeworld territory" unseen with yours or Marcel's...

FireAge

Post#3 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:40 am

I must admit my region was not so bad to start in apart from the X-Y position. A huge load of minerals at my disposal, but sadly not so great natives. Colonials spot was not so good. One good native planet and almost no minerals to speak of except duranium.

I'd be interested to hear more people about their experience in the game!

Caligula

Post#4 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:05 am

My homeworld area was quite ok, natives above average, minerals good except duranium. An early Merlin was very helpful. On the other hand, Darkwings are pretty expensive. Additionally I had to give a part of my income to Fexer. (his starting region was indeed very awful). So it was necessary to build loads of small freighters with cheap engines in order to develop my economy very fast, hoping that the enemy won't arrive too early. Our strategy was then to place gates as quickly as we can into enemy territories to defend the own area as high as possible. In the meantime we squeezed everything out from our planets to build some Gorbies and Darkwings and pushed them through the gates, nearly all to the colonial region, because the Lizard was already there supporting his teammate, building LCCs and sending his killer clans into my direction. Minefields were popping up from nothing. Even with the robust capital ships it wouldn't have been easy to go straight through multiple overlapping fields AND go into battle with defending Virgos. We expected the worst to come, so we set an unexpected course towards the colonial homworld to minimize the mine hit damage, build an additional gate and get reinforcements (especially fuel). In this cat an mouse game (who was the cat, who was the mouse?) we were able to invade 3 bases and the colonial homeworld. This was sufficent, doing more would have been to exhausting. We were able keep up the threat. The whole time we've been wondering where the T-Rex-ships are. After a while we realized that they simply had none :) . The first (and possibly only) one was freshly built after the ship limit was reached. So the supporting Darkwings could also be counted as dangerous capital ships keeping the balance of power. This gave us room to do more at the federation frontline but also at the freshly found robot gate ;-).

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Great write-up FireAge!
Regards,
][avok

Return to “King of the Hill”