A cloaked being towed

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Aleortu

A cloaked being towed

Post#1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24 am

An intresting conversation started by something that happened in this game.
Here is the link:
http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 316&t=5520

Resume: I am playing the Birds and fighting the Privateers. Suddenly 2 or 3 of my cloaked ships were towed around by meteors. I wondered how could my enemy lock the towbeam if my ships were cloacked.
I searched for information in helpages and documentation but finally it seems the most obvious answer: my ships must have suffered a cloack failure because Marcel the Privateer was watching them when I was sure they were cloaked.
Last edited by Aleortu on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo mistake
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Hawkeye

Re: A cloaked being towed

Post#2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:04 am

It is possible to tow a cloaked ship, enemy or ally, and continue to tow that cloaked ship for many turns afterwards, as long as it is initially uncloaked. I did this in one game where an enemy ship was uncloaked over one of my planets. My Darkwing that also happened to be there hooked up the tractor beam, and towed it off the planet, however the other player set mission = cloak the same turn. As it was a single engine ship, it couldn't break the tow lock the Darkwing had on it, and as long as I didn't change the mission on the Darkwing, it would continue to tow the enemy ship, even though it remained cloaked. A few turns later it had insufficient fuel to remain cloaked, and become Darkwing fodder. :D

Would also recommend having a read of this guide:

http://www.circus-maximus.com/birdman7.htm

In terms of your game above, keep in mind that only the Resolute and Darkwing in the Bird fleet can cloak without burning fuel. The other cloakers will not cloak if they don't have enough fuel on board at the start of the turn (ie say one KT worth for instance).

Aleortu

Post#3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 am

Thank you very much.

Good job doing this guide, it is my favorite guide of my favorite race, I know it from start to end. =D>
I though it was made by some Old Eagle back in the 90's, who should be beyond heaven or hell in these days, and I found you here playing with us
:allhail:
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Hawkeye

Post#4 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:50 am

Ha, yeah I've been taking a short break in order to get through my ATPL and Instrument Rating exams. Five down, three to go. I've actually got a version 1.1 of the guide in the works with a few updates, however I need to do some research / experiments before completing it.

Hawk.

Return to “No Frills 140”