Welcome to Fall Festival of Death 2016

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Re: Welcome to Fall Festival of Death 2016

Post#91 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:58 am

I'm living in Cairns (Australia) at the moment, so several thousand miles from anything remotely shakey :D

It was more in response to:
Cutter wrote: Amassing strength and protecting borders will be a nightmare. Good luck everyone..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
And
Gilgamesh wrote:In another 30 or so turns, depending on how we colonize, our tidy little empires will get stretched out and we will all be next door neighbours!

Gavan

Post#92 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:26 am

Hawkeye wrote:I'm living in Cairns (Australia) at the moment, so several thousand miles from anything remotely shakey :D
How are the crazy people in FNQ these days? :lol:
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#93 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:29 pm

One of our original players used to live in Christchurh and that area always seems to get the brunt of the earthquakes. At least when I hear about them. Glad you were somewhere safe and way from it.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#94 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Gavan wrote: How are the crazy people in FNQ these days? :lol:
I was always told it was the Tasmanians that had two heads and everyone was related... :lol:

Hawkeye

Post#95 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Havok wrote:One of our original players used to live in Christchurh and that area always seems to get the brunt of the earthquakes. At least when I hear about them. Glad you were somewhere safe and way from it.

Yup that was me (I presume). The latest earthquake affected well north of there - Christchurch was shaken but that was about it :)

Hawkeye

Post#96 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 am

Interesting tactics from the Privateer player with the loss of three freighters... :-k

Gilgamesh

Post#97 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:08 am

If he's recycling for engines and sending out grav warships to steal/capture other races freighters it might make a lot of sense.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cutter

Post#98 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:16 pm

He could be just using the minerals to build starbases. You never know. :lol:

Hawkeye

Post#99 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:51 am

Hey can anyone tell me how to get Echoview to remember the map/chart from a particular turn? (if that is
even possible?) My one just uses the current chart as at the latest turn :?

Gilgamesh

Post#100 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:26 am

I don't think it can be done but it might be worth playing with the "read map from xyplan" setting for a few turns to see if that does anything. I've been marking certain planet positions and comparing them to the previous turn. Not exactly optimal.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#101 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 am

I've had the XYPlan switch turned off so far - I'll try turning it on, see if it makes a difference.

Too bad the EV help doesn't work anymore...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cutter

Post#102 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:31 pm

I have been plotting a bunch of planets using a universe I created in autocad. If it were back in the old days, I would have written a piece of software to do it, but I don't think I could manage "hello world" today. :lol: I keep all the maps, so if I really need to I can plot the path of any planet pretty quick. The thing that I picked up is that the planets maintain movement along a specific radius, the centre point being somewhat random, but I can determine where any planet is going to be within a couple of light years on any turn, "except", for those planets that track off the edge of the map, because I haven't seen it happen yet. However, I think that they will just ride the edge of the map until they meet their track again. Have to wait and see.

Gilgamesh

Post#103 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm glad there are smarter people than me confused by this.

The centre point is somewhat random? So that explains why my plotting in Echoview isn't working out as I expected... #-o
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cutter

Post#104 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:32 pm

From what I have witnessed so far, the centre point can be as much as 300 ly away from 2000,2000. And, there is no consistency in the offset, so, random.... However, the circular orbit of each planet is pretty accurate, and the rotation angle doesn't seem to have any specific reference, but it reduces as you move out from the centre, dropping off drastically in the last few light-years. But that means that the planets 500 ly from the center move the furthest distance each turn, and then the rest of them move less distance as you get closer to the centre, or closer to the outside. Best anyone can do is just have a rough idea how the universe moves. Crazy addon.

Hawkeye

Post#105 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:34 am

Gilgamesh wrote:... it might be worth playing with the "read map from xyplan" ...
I tried that - it didn't seem to make any difference :(

Return to “Fall Festival of Death 2016”