BG - Third Seaon Finale

This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Klauser

BG - Third Seaon Finale

Post#1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:53 pm

Re: Crossroads Pt 2.

* * * * * SPOILER ALERT * * * * *

Well, well ....

I will give BG this - it threw a good curve ball.

- We finally got to see the reason behind Lee Adama's willingness to ditch almost everything valuable he had left - including his career and marriage - to help defend a sleeze like Baltar. I still think that his rationale was shallow and contradictory, but his impassioned speech on the witness stand at least attempted to explain his view - and faith - in justice vs. mob rule. The verdict in the trial, while not satisfying, was somewhat justified by the evidence.

- The have been telegraphing the return of the Cylon Fleet for a couple of episodes now. So that it happened at the climax of the season finale didn't surprise me. That all power was lost after the jump on ALL the ships in the fleet didn't make a damn bit of sense - much more the sudden restoration of power. Just to make a dramatic point?
:roll:
- The return of Starbuck seemed awful damn contrived - but at least she didn't wake up spitting goo in a regeneration tub. I think I would have pitched the remote at the TV if that would have happened.
:aargh:
- The "shared dream" plotline with Roslyn, Athena and Six doesn't make much sense on the surface. We'll have to wait until 2008 to get answers there.

- The whole "I hear the music" plot line has me more aggravated than interested.

- I do have a question on "BG Physics". I thought when a ship made a jump, it maintained it's momentum from just prior to the jump. Since all the ships used the same jump coordinates, when they dropped power just after the jump, shouldn't the ships have kept their original positions with respect to one another instead of "floating off" in random directions? I could accept some minor pitch, roll, or yaw drifts due to loss of atttitude thrusters - but what could have cause the ships to drift towards/away from each other like that??
:-k
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:03 pm

I was very happy with the court case. It was the classic Galactica treatment I've become used to and expect from this show...

The 4 crew members figuring out they're cylon's I'm not impressed with. It felt rushed, and didn't gel. I'm not happy with that at all. I expect though that the 4 of them are a different type of human cylon from the other 7. Obvioulsly if Tigh is a cylon he's one that ages. After all, Saul has worked with Adama for 40 years, and Adama would have noticed if Tigh hadn't aged. Maybe something happened to all 4 of them on New Caprica that hasn't been explained yet. Cylon nano's or something...

The Starbuck thing I kinda expected. I still think they're going to tip their hat to the original series again (like they did with Pegasus) and do something with the Ship of Lights storyline. I completely expect the opening our next Jan's first episode to see the Cylon fleet get it's butt kicked in about 2 seconds at the beginning of the show. We'll have to wait 9 months to find out though. I dispise the Sci-Fi channel's screwy way of doing television show seasons.
Last edited by Havok on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Re: BG - Third Seaon Finale

Post#3 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Klauser wrote:Re: Crossroads Pt 2.

- I do have a question on "BG Physics". I thought when a ship made a jump, it maintained it's momentum from just prior to the jump. Since all the ships used the same jump coordinates, when they dropped power just after the jump, shouldn't the ships have kept their original positions with respect to one another instead of "floating off" in random directions? I could accept some minor pitch, roll, or yaw drifts due to loss of atttitude thrusters - but what could have cause the ships to drift towards/away from each other like that??
:-k
I thought the VERY SAME THING!!!

They should have lost gravity too... The episode was sloppy.
Regards,
][avok

Shardin5

Post#4 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:04 pm

BSG is having issues, not sure what has happened to the writing, but it is going down hill. Its almost like they brought in Rick Berman, to ruin the show.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Klauser

Post#5 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:09 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:BSG is having issues, not sure what has happened to the writing, but it is going down hill. Its almost like they brought in Rick Berman, to ruin the show.
Nah - for all it's flaws, it wasn't THAT bad :wink:
Klauser

Klauser

Re: BG - Third Seaon Finale

Post#6 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Havok wrote:They should have lost gravity too... The episode was sloppy.
Ouch ... excellent point. I shoulda caught that as well.
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Klauser wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:BSG is having issues, not sure what has happened to the writing, but it is going down hill. Its almost like they brought in Rick Berman, to ruin the show.
Nah - for all it's flaws, it wasn't THAT bad :wink:
I agree. Nothing is that bad... Even Seven of Nine left his sorry butt.
Regards,
][avok

robert

Post#8 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:26 am

They tried to show what it would be like for real people to be on a Space Ship, and how there day to day lives would be affected

It worked well at first, but got a bit too intense, especially the episode where Starbucks dies.

Typical over writing and over acting (why do Amerian shows always have to do this (especially the over acting))

Not watched the season finale, yet, so cant cxomment

Carlos Weyland

I have a different take.

Post#9 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:25 pm

First I would like to say that I am not as disappointed with the season as most of you are. I do agree it has been a year of development and “reassociation,” however I have been interested in the show because there still is crap on Tv besides this show and maybe a few others like, Mythbusters, the Shield, the stargates, no name but a very few. I know I am missing others but these are the ones I enjoy.

I think most of the criticism has been valid like the ships in motion after jump and the like, but I would like to think those items are inserted to create tension and not just stupid mistakes. It maybe sloppy but that doesn’t make the show bad.

I would like to point out five items in the last episode that intrigue me:
1. We do not know how the Cylons got to that point in space. True enough the four new Cylons could have, and that is a remote chance at best, given the information away. How, I haven’t got a clue but I acknowledge the possibility. I realize the writers have made themselves horney just making us focus on Balter as the “other” Cylon, which still maybe possible, that I didn’t even consider the other possibilities.

2. If this is a Cylon trick, why these four as Cylons. Unless the Cylons do see in the future, I do not understand why these four. I could make an argument for two maybe three, but these four?? Unless the Cylons knew they would loose the planet and all of these people would be in power, it doesn’t appear to be a trick. And if it is I will probably not continue to watch it. The chief, The XO were underground leaders on New Caprica and so they I can believe. The president’s assistant is even a longer shot if we concede that the Cylons think long term and considered the possibility of Roselyn could regain the presidency. But if they look so long term why not just kill all who “might” appose them, and as far as Anders is concerned, was he even in New Caprican detention. So unless there is some other reason why would they use him it doesn’t appear to be a Cylon trick. I would have thought that the writers would abandon their liberal bias and use another song besides a 1960-70 Vietnam War protest song. It was funny and I like the new arrangement, but how would the Cylons know about an EARTH song. I guess someone could argue that it was in some sacred text or something.

3. Who is the fifth Cylon? It could be the Chief’s wife, since it appears Human Type Cylons appear to be attracted to one another, President Roselyn, Starbuck, Baltar, or even this new Lawyer, even though I like the name Badger better. It seems funny that in the Opera House dream only Roselyn, the only human, is dreaming with two Cylons, HHHHMMMMMMMM. The chief’s wife, afore mention sleeping with chief and some other scenes that were not show [highly unlikely, but nonetheless…]. How did starbuck survive and then go to earth and come back, duh. I felt Baltar was a Cylon from the beginning. And the new lawyer, it seems they have been having fun bringing in new Cylons as characters. So unless none of these are Cylons and earth has been ruled by a Cylon forever I pick one of these so far.

4. Have you noticed the questions they have been asking and the three possibilities, one being unknown third party. Well what if there really is an unknown third party orchestrating the whole thing. We know they have been using the original series as a guide to their planning and we know there was a more powerful race that existed and helped to a degree the humans in that series, So why couldn’t their be another race that is moving the story. Maybe the gods do exist in this universe or something like it. At first I thought it was just and answer like “none of the above” or “all of the above”, but now I am not so sure.

Finally, I have been wondering what time period of earth would they find us in, Prehistoric, BC/AD, Middle ages, Dark ages, Modern period or future period. At first I thought that a future period would be likely because by then we would be more advanced. I think that this time period could also be likely for several reasons. First, we have the same type of weapons such as nukes, shells and missiles. Also Earth could build the same type of ships with the exception of the more advanced antigravity, drives and shields. It would be possible for Earth to provide around 300,000 trained pilots. Here me out, Russia, USA, Israel, China, Japan, and Europe could provide all of these pilots out of their frontline and secondary reserves right away. All of the civilians not needed in the fleet to function, could be dropped on earth and given a home while all the other ships could be refitted with earth weapons and pods of Vipers which could be built on earth given the plans and the tech. I could see earth producing 5,000 Vipers inside of a year. Of course would we have a year, hhhmmm.

Well I have enjoyed reading your post and just thought I would add some more flames.
One man in the right place, at the right time, can change anything...even a war.

akshamu

Re: I have a different take.

Post#10 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Carlos Weyland wrote:Finally, I have been wondering what time period of earth would they find us in, Prehistoric, BC/AD, Middle ages, Dark ages, Modern period or future period. At first I thought that a future period would be likely because by then we would be more advanced. I think that this time period could also be likely for several reasons. First, we have the same type of weapons such as nukes, shells and missiles. Also Earth could build the same type of ships with the exception of the more advanced antigravity, drives and shields. It would be possible for Earth to provide around 300,000 trained pilots. Here me out, Russia, USA, Israel, China, Japan, and Europe could provide all of these pilots out of their frontline and secondary reserves right away. All of the civilians not needed in the fleet to function, could be dropped on earth and given a home while all the other ships could be refitted with earth weapons and pods of Vipers which could be built on earth given the plans and the tech. I could see earth producing 5,000 Vipers inside of a year. Of course would we have a year, hhhmmm.
In the original BG, Earth when it was found was the current "live" period of the shows broadcast period, so it would not be producing any Vipers since the scientific capabilities would not be there

Shardin5

Post#11 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:36 pm

No real Flames, this season was just unfocused, I guess. To much over the top, to much was just being PROCESSED. It was like a season of Star Trek TNG, good, but not great, they could have spread this over 2 seasons and done it right.

Tell you one thing though, if Starbuck turns out to be the Last Cylon, I will stop watching the show. Bad enough and I had grown used to Starbuck and Boomer both being Girls, for both of them to be Cylons would be to much. The ones they have picked out for Cylons, is a little over the top as it is.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Carlos Weyland

ok

Post#12 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:21 am

In the original BG, Earth when it was found was the current "live" period of the shows broadcast period, so it would not be producing any Vipers since the scientific capabilities would not be there
Ok I C that, but what I really am saying is that if given the thrust tech of a viper, and a comparable metal, it might, and I do say might, be possible to use existing building tech and metallurgy to built a viper close to the original or maybe a generation earlier in which to help defend earth while a reconfigured fleet is sent out to attack the Cylons.

It could be possible for existing plants to use Colonial plans to build vipers if, and I say if, there is compatibility, which we do not really know. I mean the fuel looks like sand and the battle steal is just composite of some types of metals. Also, the colonial fleet could help mine ore from the asteroid belt.
One man in the right place, at the right time, can change anything...even a war.

robert

Post#13 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:49 am

Enemy#1 wrote:No real Flames, this season was just unfocused, I guess. To much over the top, to much was just being PROCESSED. It was like a season of Star Trek TNG, good, but not great, they could have spread this over 2 seasons and done it right.

Tell you one thing though, if Starbuck turns out to be the Last Cylon, I will stop watching the show. Bad enough and I had grown used to Starbuck and Boomer both being Girls, for both of them to be Cylons would be to much. The ones they have picked out for Cylons, is a little over the top as it is.
I agree with most of what you say, but is'nt it really silly that Starbuck has reappeared. If shew appears as a dream then fair enough, but come on her ship blew up

robert

Post#14 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:50 am

Enemy#1 wrote:No real Flames, this season was just unfocused, I guess. To much over the top, to much was just being PROCESSED. It was like a season of Star Trek TNG, good, but not great, they could have spread this over 2 seasons and done it right.

I agree with most of what you say, but is'nt it really silly that Starbuck has reappeared. If she appears as a dream then fair enough, but come on her ship blew up

PaladinCyborg

She's back

Post#15 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:28 am

Starbuck is back! And I am so happy, I don't care if it's contrived :D

In the old show, there was a period when the elder race returned. I wonder if the writers plan to bring back the "gods" next season. I suspect all the wierd events of the season finale are linked to this. :cheers:
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”