BattleStar Galactica Season Finale

This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#16 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:Zap,
The original was Cute, VERY CAMPY, and a HUGE insult on the brain matter.
You point out a few things, out of context as you haven't watched the entire series. You have to get caught up to speed to understand why the human looking Cylons, can DIE and BLEED, Yet fight like machines at the same time. As for the DumbAss comment, it was in context of the show and what was happening. Show is edgy, and with real dialoge between charactors, they are, smartAss's, Flip, Rude, Nice, and they even use SATIRE when talking with each other. I am just hoping Baltar's last 30 min's of the show was just a DREAM Sequence.
Yes, the original was very campy. So was everything else that was produced during that era.

My observations are not out of context. No, I haven't watched the whole series, and I'm thankful that I haven't.

The replicants in Bladerunner bled and died also. But they were consistent. If Roy Batty can move fast enough to catch Deckard just as he looses his grip and begins to fall from the top of a building when Roy is three feet away from him (if you think this is not fast have someone hold a dollar bill hanging down from one end, put the at the middle of the dollar ready to catch it. When the person holding the dollar lets go close your hand and catch the dollar. The point is that 32 feet per second per second is VERY fast.) he can also move fast enough that Deckard, who is in fairly good shape, is like an infant in comparison.

Consistancy is required for suspension of disbelief. The fact that #6 can take quite a beating and displays obviously superhuman physical abilities is not consistent with falling twenty feet and instantly dropping dead.

The dream sequence was also a good display of lack of consistancy. The first instance, when he is still in the burning ship, has him reacting physically. He stands up and appears to walk through a fire because the dream #6 leads him out. At the end, is he actually walking off into the distance without anyone around him noticing him leaving? Does no one care that a seriously injured crewman is wandering off? Seems a bit odd to me.

Yes, the original series was not exactly the highest form of entertainment, but at least they didn't abuse you intentionally.

Trillian

Post#17 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Enemy#1 wrote: You have to get caught up to speed to understand why the human looking Cylons, can DIE and BLEED, Yet fight like machines at the same time.
Apparently, the NEW Cylons also have reproductive systems mimicking and compatiable with that of humans.
Enemy#1 wrote: I am just hoping Baltar's last 30 min's of the show was just a DREAM Sequence.
Yes, it was just a dream sequence. I have 2 reasons for this. One, this is a typical device used in motion pictures. Bright lighting, white dress, no other life forms present on the location interacting with Baltar.

Secondly, #6 cannot be talking to Baltar and having his baby as he dreamed since she is DEAD. Remember? Starbuck survived the fall and #6 did not.

Okay, so this is tv, maybe they don't want to wipe their hot babe out of the script. She may very well turn out to be alive next season. I'm sure they will devise some extraordinary story for her survival. Maybe she's just pretending to be dead. :roll:

Did anyone here ever watch "Dallas" or "Knots Landing"? This seems to be the same sort of show just set in outer space. Soap Opera's for men. Replace all the male roles with hot babes. "Who Shot Adama(JR)??" LOL

Lastly, I'd like to add, that no real life female that LOOKS like Starbuck would actually be as tough as the writers make her out to be. In real life, a woman that tough would have a short hair cut, thick girth and don a flannel shirt. And THAT woman would have no use for a man whatsoever. Except maybe to put him down and criticize him for his sins against women, whatever she imagines those sins to be.
Trillian

darkdimensions

Post#18 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote: In all, I think this show is on about the same level as the charming movie First Knight.
now that is an obscure refference. its scifi, you have to let your imagination work , and try not to get caught up with the, "how is this possible, a has to equal b or c but who knows, y they cant just beam a nuke aboard, but they cant. They are a few thousand humans trying to make it in this crazy galaxy, cut them a frakkin break :roll:

Cherek

Post#19 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Zap, I might be wrong, but when #6 and Starbuck fell and Starbuck got up or rolled off of #6, there was a rebar sticking through #6 chest. Trilly, Boomer has been the only Cylon to reproduce, so far.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#20 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:37 pm

darkdimensions wrote:
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote: In all, I think this show is on about the same level as the charming movie First Knight.
now that is an obscure refference. its scifi, you have to let your imagination work , and try not to get caught up with the, "how is this possible, a has to equal b or c but who knows, y they cant just beam a nuke aboard, but they cant. They are a few thousand humans trying to make it in this crazy galaxy, cut them a frakkin break :roll:
First Knight is a bit obscure, unless you're female. Look for it the next time you're at the video store, you'll understand what I mean.

No, regardless of what type of fiction, historical, science, fantasy, a story has to agree with itself. If it doesn't agree with itself it is just a poor story, regardless of how fantastic the special effects are. You do yourself no favor by watching/reading poor stories.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#21 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:54 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Zap, I might be wrong, but when #6 and Starbuck fell and Starbuck got up or rolled off of #6, there was a rebar sticking through #6 chest. Trilly, Boomer has been the only Cylon to reproduce, so far.
I'd have to watch it again to see if that is so. I don't think I can bring myself to do that. Given how tough she is supposed to be I'm not sure a little thing like a metal bar through the chest would stop her. Starbuck, of course, wouldn't even be penetrated by the metal, given that a superhuman punch to her face isn't enough to even bloody her nose. The original Starbuck was pretty tough, but he was a pansy compared to the new, improved Starbuck.

Oh, but in the politially correct kingdom of Hollywood females are tough, resourceful, smart, strong and sexy. Men are weak, vaccilating, emotional, ineffective, and sensitive. Or they are evil. Of course, they are handsome, too, if they are young. (Trillian reminds me that the men are also never anything close to as smart as the women.)

OK, so Boomer has been the only Cylon to reproduce, as you say, so far. So what?

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#22 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:57 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote: Zap,

You just saw the season finale for season 1... And if I remember correctly, #6 broke the fall for Starbuck.

The new Galactica is also something that may be a little difficult to pick-up. You should see the pilot, and then the series in order.
So the pilot was actually well written? This one sure wasn't. All fiction requires the viewer/reader to indulge the writer with what is known as suspension of disbelief. I'm sad to see the writing for this show just puts too much strain on the suspension.

So #6 is actually a bit more well padded than she appears to be?

My point was not that Starbuck (whose name I find offensively politcally correct) survived the fall, but that #6 DIDN'T. After taking shots from #6 that would put down a bull obviously Starbuck would survive the fall. After the beating she took from #6 (who apparantly can outrun bullets) she can surely withstand a fall of twenty feet or so.

I really didn't think it was difficult to pick up at all. The part about Adama and the President obviously required knowlege of the backstory that I didn't have, but it still looked pretty pathetic.

The characters are quite shallow, for the most part. They seem poorly suited for their roles. A bit too weak and unskilled. I'm willing to let the bomb repair with no tools and no apparant need for any special skills go, but as a plot device it was pathetic. Obviously they had to have some reason for them to land in the base ship, but that was a damned poor reason. "Ooops, looks like our super high tech ship that is capable of leaping across half the galaxy can't manage to release one stupid bomb."

How about this: Instead of contriving such a pathetic malfunction, why not give them a larger bomb, or some type of weapon that requires them to land? Surely you don't think one bomb would be enough to destroy such a large ship? Battleships during WW-II took multiple torpedo hits and were able to return for repairs. Sure, sure, they were inside the ship. Inside its defenses. Still...

In all, I think this show is on about the same level as the charming movie First Knight.

The bomb was a nuke... I think a nuke is enough to destroy a ship from inside.

As for the shallow characters and everything, that's the beauty of the show. They try to portray the people the way people are in real life, shallow, corrupt, scared...etc... This isn't Star Trek where nothing ever changes. These people are scared and on the run.

As for the Cylons... They've cloned humans to perfectly... And they're just as bad if not worse than their creators.
Best Regards,

Joe

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#23 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:Zap,
The original was Cute, VERY CAMPY, and a HUGE insult on the brain matter.
You point out a few things, out of context as you haven't watched the entire series. You have to get caught up to speed to understand why the human looking Cylons, can DIE and BLEED, Yet fight like machines at the same time. As for the DumbAss comment, it was in context of the show and what was happening. Show is edgy, and with real dialoge between charactors, they are, smartAss's, Flip, Rude, Nice, and they even use SATIRE when talking with each other. I am just hoping Baltar's last 30 min's of the show was just a DREAM Sequence.
Yes, the original was very campy. So was everything else that was produced during that era.

My observations are not out of context. No, I haven't watched the whole series, and I'm thankful that I haven't.

The replicants in Bladerunner bled and died also. But they were consistent. If Roy Batty can move fast enough to catch Deckard just as he looses his grip and begins to fall from the top of a building when Roy is three feet away from him (if you think this is not fast have someone hold a dollar bill hanging down from one end, put the at the middle of the dollar ready to catch it. When the person holding the dollar lets go close your hand and catch the dollar. The point is that 32 feet per second per second is VERY fast.) he can also move fast enough that Deckard, who is in fairly good shape, is like an infant in comparison.

Consistancy is required for suspension of disbelief. The fact that #6 can take quite a beating and displays obviously superhuman physical abilities is not consistent with falling twenty feet and instantly dropping dead.

The dream sequence was also a good display of lack of consistancy. The first instance, when he is still in the burning ship, has him reacting physically. He stands up and appears to walk through a fire because the dream #6 leads him out. At the end, is he actually walking off into the distance without anyone around him noticing him leaving? Does no one care that a seriously injured crewman is wandering off? Seems a bit odd to me.

Yes, the original series was not exactly the highest form of entertainment, but at least they didn't abuse you intentionally.

It wasn't a dream sequence, it's the #6 that's implanted in his head. When he wandered off no one noticed because he was acting normal. (for him anyway)
Best Regards,

Joe

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#24 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:04 pm

Trillian wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote: You have to get caught up to speed to understand why the human looking Cylons, can DIE and BLEED, Yet fight like machines at the same time.
Apparently, the NEW Cylons also have reproductive systems mimicking and compatiable with that of humans.
Enemy#1 wrote: I am just hoping Baltar's last 30 min's of the show was just a DREAM Sequence.
Yes, it was just a dream sequence. I have 2 reasons for this. One, this is a typical device used in motion pictures. Bright lighting, white dress, no other life forms present on the location interacting with Baltar.

Secondly, #6 cannot be talking to Baltar and having his baby as he dreamed since she is DEAD. Remember? Starbuck survived the fall and #6 did not.

Okay, so this is tv, maybe they don't want to wipe their hot babe out of the script. She may very well turn out to be alive next season. I'm sure they will devise some extraordinary story for her survival. Maybe she's just pretending to be dead. :roll:

Did anyone here ever watch "Dallas" or "Knots Landing"? This seems to be the same sort of show just set in outer space. Soap Opera's for men. Replace all the male roles with hot babes. "Who Shot Adama(JR)??" LOL

Lastly, I'd like to add, that no real life female that LOOKS like Starbuck would actually be as tough as the writers make her out to be. In real life, a woman that tough would have a short hair cut, thick girth and don a flannel shirt. And THAT woman would have no use for a man whatsoever. Except maybe to put him down and criticize him for his sins against women, whatever she imagines those sins to be.

There are 12 models of humanoid cylons....

and many copies of each...

Watch from the beginning...
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#25 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:20 pm

Sysop wrote: The bomb was a nuke... I think a nuke is enough to destroy a ship from inside.

As for the shallow characters and everything, that's the beauty of the show. They try to portray the people the way people are in real life, shallow, corrupt, scared...etc... This isn't Star Trek where nothing ever changes. These people are scared and on the run.

As for the Cylons... They've cloned humans to perfectly... And they're just as bad if not worse than their creators.
OK, maybe the nuke would be enough to destroy the ship from inside. The malfunction is still a VERY lame plot device. Pathetic, in fact.

The point of the show, in fact, is not to portray people as they are. The point of the show is to portray women as men and men as women. Trillian pointed out that 'Boomer' was also a man in the original series. Isn't any of this telling you anything? This isn't entertainment, it's political correctness masquerading as entertainment.

As for the Cylons cloning humans too perfectly it doesn't matter if the characters are not consistent. A human doesn't win a fight with anything that moves as fast as #6 is apparantly capable of. A human doesn't stand a chance against such a thing. It is just poor, lazy, incompetent writing.

I don't expect to change anyones mind, really ( ](*,) ), but you ought to be aware of what you are watching.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#26 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:54 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Sysop wrote: The bomb was a nuke... I think a nuke is enough to destroy a ship from inside.

OK, maybe the nuke would be enough to destroy the ship from inside. The malfunction is still a VERY lame plot device. Pathetic, in fact.

The point of the show, in fact, is not to portray people as they are. The point of the show is to portray women as men and men as women. Trillian pointed out that 'Boomer' was also a man in the original series. Isn't any of this telling you anything? This isn't entertainment, it's political correctness masquerading as entertainment.

As for the Cylons cloning humans too perfectly it doesn't matter if the characters are not consistent. A human doesn't win a fight with anything that moves as fast as #6 is apparantly capable of. A human doesn't stand a chance against such a thing. It is just poor, lazy, incompetent writing.

I don't expect to change anyones mind, really ( ](*,) ), but you ought to be aware of what you are watching.
The point of the show is to show what happens when man acts as God. The children of man came home 40 years after a war to destory their maker... Kinda like a child rebeling against their parents for an unfair punishment.
Best Regards,

Joe

Nfredible

Post#27 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:57 pm

Sysop wrote:The point of the show is to show what happens when man acts as God. The children of man came home 40 years after a war to destory their maker... Kinda like a child rebeling against their parents for an unfair punishment.

Got to agree on this one. It is one of those shows that points out what would actually happen, not what would happen if everyone were a supermodel-slash-ex demolitonist slash navy seal slash chef slash nuclear physiscist to save the day or win every fight with nary a scratch. People get their feelings hurt in ways that happen today. People treat others like dirt just like today. The undeserving get the goods then trash the place, just like today. Just so happens that today we don't have cybernetic life forms returning from deep space, running around impersonating humans and nuking our little planets. That must be tomorrow.. but for now, it is a great show in my opinion.

Dream sequence... I think it was way to detailed and involved to be a dream sequence. I think Starbuck wanted her hair long. The chick that the Chief pummeled just wanted the Chief's baby. Chief liked it better when he was scoring.. with anybody I guess. Ty wanted to find out what it would be like to be the one his wife went home with (most nights anyway), and Baltar.. well, did you see his nubile office decorations? Must be nice to run a dingy little planet. Rosalyn wanted to go back to teaching, and the Adama family now get much better gas mileage in the Battlestars since all the deadweight is now Cylon fodder. I can't wait for October to get here.
Nfred
Argue not with the dragon for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#28 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:23 pm

Nfredible wrote:
Sysop wrote:The point of the show is to show what happens when man acts as God. The children of man came home 40 years after a war to destory their maker... Kinda like a child rebeling against their parents for an unfair punishment.

Got to agree on this one. It is one of those shows that points out what would actually happen, not what would happen if everyone were a supermodel-slash-ex demolitonist slash navy seal slash chef slash nuclear physiscist to save the day or win every fight with nary a scratch. People get their feelings hurt in ways that happen today. People treat others like dirt just like today. The undeserving get the goods then trash the place, just like today. Just so happens that today we don't have cybernetic life forms returning from deep space, running around impersonating humans and nuking our little planets. That must be tomorrow.. but for now, it is a great show in my opinion.
Bah. You're missing (evading?) my point. Let me state it perfectly clearly so there can be no ambiguity: IT IS POORLY WRITTEN AND LACKS CONSISTENCY.

I have given my arguements for why I say it is poorly written. Address them or yield the point.

As to the idea that the characters are intended to model real people rather than exceptional individuals, who do you think becomes a fighter pilot and who the bagger at the grocery store? Do you think there is no reason other than simple luck of the draw? If you want to display a character who is a fighter pilot you don't give the character the traits of the bagger at your local grocery store. Perhaps, given your thoughts on the failings of the characters, I should add that it suffers from poor characterization?

There are, quite frankly, real reasons not to expose yourself to this sort of junk entertainment aside from my view that it is politically corrected nonsense (which I also stated arguements for and have not read any contradiction to). It is the difference between reading Mark Twain and reading romance novels. Ideas are contagious.

Like I said, I do not particularly expect to change anyone's mind about this. Entertainment is generally a pretty huge blind spot for most people. I've known otherwise highly intelligent people who followed professional wrestling almost religiously.

Nfredible

Post#29 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:36 pm

ummmmmmm...... I am rubber and you're glue.. whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you except good stuff.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Argue not with the dragon for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#30 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:43 am

Nfredible wrote:ummmmmmm...... I am rubber and you're glue.. whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you except good stuff.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
SEE?? SEE?? Look what it's done to him!!11!!!one!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”