Here are some of the things I'm aiming for:
- Record everything needed turn-by-turn (hull info, planet location, etc), so addons that modify any such info are automatically supported
- Ability to scale the output image/movie to desired size
- Ability to output a given portion of the map only (min/max map X/Y configurable, in other words)
- Ability to output an image of a single turn (JPG/BMP/etc)
- Ability to create animated GIF of turn X - turn Y.
- Configurable race colors (planet, minefield, webmine, ships all configurable independently); host-side for images, player-side for movie files
- Change ship display image/size depending on both mass & type (freighter/beams-only/torper/carrier), similar to Echoview
- Create movie file of turn X - turn Y for use in viewer app
- Optional legend/key for race colors/turn #/etc
- Ability to show alliance data turn-by-turn
- Windows-based app
- Zoom in & out of image; panning of large images
- Click on a location & get a list of everything there (all ships,mines,etc -- like Echoview)
- Configurable colors (see above)
- Turn on/off display of items at will (race N ships, mines, etc)
- Configurable play speed / pause feature / "goto turn N" / other timeline nav controls
As an example, I've got basic image & GIF output working. I ran a game 90 turns w/ all Q-players & output that data. Here's a portion of turn 75 @ a 1:1 ratio:
And here's an animated gif of turns 1-90 @ 1:4 quarter scale:
So, any thoughts/changes/additions/suggestions/comments/whatever? I figure best to get them now while they'd be easier to implement!
Oh, and the bit in this forum's description about DailyPlanet also being a VPNews replacement -- yes, that's on the burner too, but not until the movie side is squared away. So let's stick to movie talk for now.
Thanks, look forward to hearing what everyone thinks!