Tanascius

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#16 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:27 pm

Real quick test findings.

1. Manager Configuration – There are two buttons, “tax natives to” and “tax colos to” if you change either value for one planet, it’s changed on all planets. I haven’t yet checked to see if the changed value is in that game or every game.

2. Manager Configuration – There are two bottons “create tax ini” and “create build ini”. I clicked on both of them and closed Mangaer. I did a search of a for any new .INI file created in the last 24 hours, I only found VPMIDI.INI and EchoView.INI files. I wonder where they were created?

3. For the WinPlan “Quick Start” is says to add “d:\winplan\manager.exe 2 –d:\winplan\vpwork4” to two files “unproc2.bat” and “preturn.bat” and says “WinPlan will automatically check for these batchfiles (right after unpacking your RST and right before making your turn), the batchfiles will run Manager. My test didn’t do either, so I guess I’ll have to create a batchfile with the command line options for each game.

4. Can’t get the batchfile to work either. This is the message I get:

E:\test\Planets>Manager 3 E:\test\Planets\vpwork1 b1 n c f it is

----------------------
Manager
----------------------
by Donovan & Tanascius
Version 1.0 190601
----------------------

execute: tax natives
execute: build structures, and sell supplies always
execute: tax natives
execute: tax colonists
execute: change fcodes
execute: create new tax inis
execute: create new build orders
is winplan still running?
please close it *now* - then press a key or >Esc< to abort
PData3.Dat missing

No WinPLan wasn't running and the PDATA.DAT is there.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#17 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:09 pm

Even though I haven't gotten Manager to work yet, from what I can see of it, it is like a stripped down version of Tanascuis. I guess I'll have download Randmax and give it a going over.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#18 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 pm

Question for anyone using Randmax.

I use WinPlan. Do you put a copy Randmax.exe and Randmax.ini in each of your game directories or can it reside in a separate folder?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#19 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:47 pm

Another question

How does Randmax handle HISSing? The docs aren't that clear about HISSing.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Post#20 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:39 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Another question

How does Randmax handle HISSing? The docs aren't that clear about HISSing.
It takes into account the HISSers above a planet. Just keep in mind that you want to run Randmax one last time right before making your TRN in case you changed who's HISSing & who's not.

warpedboard

Post#21 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Question for anyone using Randmax.

I use WinPlan. Do you put a copy Randmax.exe and Randmax.ini in each of your game directories or can it reside in a separate folder?
I'm not sure if you HAVE to, but I always slap a new copy (I have a base template in my main VGAP dir) into the game folder. For one thing, that lets Randgen (should you use it), or yourself, give specific commands for individual planets in that game.

Cherek

Post#22 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:58 pm

warpedboard wrote:I'm not sure if you HAVE to, but I always slap a new copy (I have a base template in my main VGAP dir) into the game folder. For one thing, that lets Randgen (should you use it), or yourself, give specific commands for individual planets in that game.
In Randmax, from what I have read of the docs (I haven't ran it yet but I'm going to try it this weekend), the ability to exclude a planet from a universal build priority (all the planets are set to build factories before mines but a few individual planets are set to build mines before factories) is good to have.

I am a lazy person and having copy and paste files into each of my game directories and then having to edit the Randmax.ini for each game or to make an exception from the universal setting and create a batchfile to run Randmax seems to be a lot of effort.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#23 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Has anyone gotten Manager to run?
Not me - fast DOS window flashes by and that's it. I may have set it up before because I already have the economy stuff in Tanascuis. I'm starting to use it - not sure I like everything it does but I'll see how it goes over time, especially with the taxation.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#24 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I had the same problem when I tried (I was using a machine running XP not Vista). I used the command prompt so that I could the message. I used the Manager confuration program, which did start up and changed some settings but they where not saved.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#25 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:54 pm

I've been using Tanascius on all my games since we started this discussion, mostly because of RL time constraints. A couple of things bother me so far.

1 - the factory - mine - defence order means that you are not as balanced in terms of getting minerals (especially fuel) out of the ground as opposed to the way I do it.

2 - the same system means that you can get a lot of factories and mines before you have 15 defence posts - making your planets detectable.

3. - it has no respect for the fact that I was moving a Merlin to a Bovi planet and ate up a lot of the supplies for builds.

4. - In Leaf I have some Borg planets that were well into assimilating the natives so the colonists are my main or at least a significant source of money. Tanascius insists on setting the colonist tax rate to 0.

On the good side - it saves me a lot of time. I still think the best features are the check function and the battle sim, along with the calculators but I make use of just about everything in there. If it needs anything I'd say it needs some recognition for what you want on the planets by way of friendly codes - DBM for "Don't Build Mines", etc. Just a thought. Overall it's a great tool.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#26 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:01 am

What I do in cases like you stated in 1 and 2 for new planets is, I build them manually, then I let Tanascuis take over.

You do know that you can change the planetary order (D, M, F or M, D, F) also.

For item 4, you could uncheck the "Tax Colonist".

From reading the docs (I didn't get a chance to play with it on Sunday), I did like the ability to customize each planet build and taxing rate in Randmax. The only three thing I didn't like it was,
1. It ran from DOS (from past experience, things running in DOS has issues with Vista or vice versa).
2. You had to copy and paste two files into each of game directory and create way to run it for each game.
3. Anytime you wanted to customize or change a planet build or tax rate, you had to edit and file to do it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#27 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:31 am

Gilgamesh wrote:On the good side - it saves me a lot of time. I still think the best features are the check function and the battle sim, along with the calculators but I make use of just about everything in there. If it needs anything I'd say it needs some recognition for what you want on the planets by way of friendly codes - DBM for "Don't Build Mines", etc. Just a thought. Overall it's a great tool.
For your item 1 and 2, Manager will allow you to chose your planetary build, tax rate and FC randomize per planet (just from what I have seen in the MGConfig since I still haven't gotten it to run in XP much less in Vista). From what I've seen in the MSConfig, the planet management is better than Tanascuis.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#28 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:41 am

OK, I have figured out to make Manager to work.

1. Install Manager in your game direstory (c:\plan\vpworkX).

2. Run MGConfig from your game directory and select "Create new ini file" then select "Start Viewer".

3. Configure your planets or use the defaults, select the "Create tax ini" and "Create build ini" buttons and close MGConfig.

4. Create a batch file and then run the batch file.

I still like the ability to set up each planet individually, I wish Tanascuis could do it. Native and colonist tax rate is a still applied to all planets. I haven't tried it running with Vista yet. Again, with me being as lazy as I am and as many games I'm in, it's just too much work for me.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#29 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am

Bumping to review for later today...
:2kcylon:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek