Tanascius

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#31 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Re: Tanascius,

#1: Open your RST with Winplan/Dosplan/VPA/whatever client first?

#2: Evolution
In the planet development textbox if I put the following:
f110 m200 d60
Then Tanascius would automatically build as possible my planets
with 110 factories, 200 mines and 60 defposts?

I assume it will follow the order as well.
ie: First it'll build the factories, then when 110 built, it'll start on
building the 200 mines, then upon 200 mines, works on 60 defposts?

If I open my RST first before running Tanascius, it seems like I would
want to unload/load my ships prior to running Tanascius so that the
intended available resources (clans/supplies/cash) are there for it
to develop the planet.

I'm not clear yet on the xsug xmax settings.
If I don't use them, I assume that Tanascius will do only what I
tell it and no more? Or will Tanascius do nothing at all, meaning
they're necessary?

If I do use them, will Tanascius then adjust my above numbers
(ie: f110, m200, d60, fsug, msug, dmax) with internal "optimal" configurations?

I also assume that if I shuffle the order, that priority changes?
ie: d60, m200, f110 would build dps, mines and facts in that order.

enough for now...
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#32 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:59 pm

B A N E wrote:Re: Tanascius,

#1: Open your RST with Winplan/Dosplan/VPA/whatever client first?

#2: Evolution
In the planet development textbox if I put the following:
f110 m200 d60
Then Tanascius would automatically build as possible my planets
with 110 factories, 200 mines and 60 defposts?

I assume it will follow the order as well.
ie: First it'll build the factories, then when 110 built, it'll start on
building the 200 mines, then upon 200 mines, works on 60 defposts?
You're correct.
B A N E wrote:If I open my RST first before running Tanascius, it seems like I would want to unload/load my ships prior to running Tanascius so that the intended available resources (clans/supplies/cash) are there for it to develop the planet.
After you unpack your RST, you should run the "Restore" under the Evolution tab to restore your waypoints and mines/factory/defense and tax rates back to your last turn. Then you do your ship movements and SB maintenence. Once you do that, then you rerun Tanascius to do your mine/factory/defense builds and set your tax rates for your clan and natives.
B A N E wrote:I'm not clear yet on the xsug xmax settings.
If I don't use them, I assume that Tanascius will do only what I
tell it and no more? Or will Tanascius do nothing at all, meaning
they're necessary?

If I do use them, will Tanascius then adjust my above numbers
(ie: f110, m200, d60, fsug, msug, dmax) with internal "optimal" configurations?
You don't use ?xxx, and ?sug or ?max together. Tanascius will build up to the ?xxx you tell it to, in the order you specify. Using the ?sug, it will build based of the planet population in the order you specify. Using the ?max, it build continue to build as long and you have MC, supplies and haven't reached the max build for that structure.
B A N E wrote:I also assume that if I shuffle the order, that priority changes?
ie: d60, m200, f110 would build dps, mines and facts in that order.

enough for now...
You're correct again.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#33 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm

B A N E wrote:I'm not clear yet on the xsug xmax settings.
If I don't use them, I assume that Tanascius will do only what I
tell it and no more? Or will Tanascius do nothing at all, meaning
they're necessary?

If I do use them, will Tanascius then adjust my above numbers
(ie: f110, m200, d60, fsug, msug, dmax) with internal "optimal" configurations?
You don't use ?xxx, and ?sug or ?max together. Tanascius will build up to the ?xxx you tell it to, in the order you specify. Using the ?sug, it will build based of the planet population in the order you specify. Using the ?max, it build continue to build as long and you have MC, supplies and haven't reached the max build for that structure.

*edit*
To clarify, you use fxxx or fsug or fmax, not fxxx and fmax. You can use them as in d200, fmax, msug.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#34 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:46 pm

checkout the helpfile:
http://www.tanascius.com/help.html

Halfway down and to the right is the small Building Order window.
In the window, it shows:
f100 d15 fsug msug dmax
In the text, it says:
An example: "f55 d15 fsug mmax dsug" means that the program will build 55 factories first, then 15 DP, "suggested" factories, maximal mines and "suggested" DP
So, unless I am misinterpreting, both can be used.
If that is the case, then I can see the econ help being quite
useful. Instead of my manually figuring out exactly how much of
each industry I want, I leave it to Tanascius.

I will have to do some solo testing but I wonder if something like
this would work:
d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax
ie:
Basically, the defposts pacing the industry to keep the planet
invisible to sensor scans.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#35 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:58 pm

B A N E wrote:checkout the helpfile:
http://www.tanascius.com/help.html

Halfway down and to the right is the small Building Order window.
In the window, it shows:
f100 d15 fsug msug dmax
In the text, it says:
An example: "f55 d15 fsug mmax dsug" means that the program will build 55 factories first, then 15 DP, "suggested" factories, maximal mines and "suggested" DP
So, unless I am misinterpreting, both can be used.
If that is the case, then I can see the econ help being quite
useful. Instead of my manually figuring out exactly how much of
each industry I want, I leave it to Tanascius.

I will have to do some solo testing but I wonder if something like
this would work:
d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax
ie:
Basically, the defposts pacing the industry to keep the planet
invisible to sensor scans.
Hmmm, you're right. I haven't tried that way, but I have a game that recently started so I'll give it a try.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#36 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:01 pm

B A N E wrote:I will have to do some solo testing but I wonder if something like this would work:
d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax
ie:
Basically, the defposts pacing the industry to keep the planet
invisible to sensor scans.
You might want to change dmax to dsug or d200. Any defense post over 200 is a waste of MC and supplies. I'm not sure if it will continue to build defense post after 200 if it is set to dmax.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#37 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
B A N E wrote:I will have to do some solo testing but I wonder if something like this would work:
d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax
ie:
Basically, the defposts pacing the industry to keep the planet
invisible to sensor scans.
You might want to change dmax to dsug or d200. Any defense post over 200 is a waste of MC and supplies. I'm not sure if it will continue to build defense post after 200 if it is set to dmax.
Regarding defposts, interesting that you say that.
Why do you say that?

I used to have somewhere a list of what colony level dps kill
what ships all the way up to 366 (max 10M pop) and then on
through the various SB dp levels.

I wonder if I still do.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#38 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Let me ask you this, what benefit do you get with over 200 defense post? It seems that I read somewhere that there was no benefits building more than 200 defense post. Like you, I need to go and some digging through some notebooks to find the answer.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#39 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:01 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Let me ask you this, what benefit do you get with over 200 defense post? It seems that I read somewhere that there was no benefits building more than 200 defense post. Like you, I need to go and some digging through some notebooks to find the answer.
From what I recall, there is benefit.
Planets by default have 100kt mass.

Increase planet's mass, beam count, ftrs & fbays in vcr via dps.

@ 200 dp, 300 mass, 8 h.pha, 14 ftrs, 14fbays
@ 366 dp, 466 mass, 10 h.pha, 19 ftrs, 19fbays
As an example:
200 mass, a Thor can kill a planet.
366 mass, a Thor cannot.

Add in the base:
Range becomes 0-666 mass
@ 200 sb dps, 366 dps + 100 = 666 mass
24 fbays to launch from 19-79 fighters.
This is why a max base can beat carriers especially Virgos.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#40 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:07 pm

That makes sense. I checked on Dovovan's and I couldn't find anything about the "200 defense posts" but I did find several references about what you said.

Time to readjust my thinking in that area, thanks BANE.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#41 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Cherek,
You're welcome, I am glad to help and am always interested
in finding out new tricks as well...that's why I asked.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#42 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm

Here is what I found out in a game using a recently colonized planet. I used the settings you suggested, d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax instead of the fmax msug dsug.
The planet started with m=0, f=28 and d=0. It has natives and a colony populaion of 20200. After I ran Tanascius the results were m=21, f=28 and d=20. With the other settings, it would have continued to build factories and then mines before building defenses. I going to play with those numbers and see what other kind of results I get.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#43 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:01 pm

In my duel with E1, I'm going to run the following batch file.

VPA in batchmode,
Tanascius to do the economy.
VPA in playmode.

That'll let me load the data from the RST into VPA first.
then Tanascius will do its' thing.
Then I'll alter in VPA to where I want until I get the settings in
Tanascius to do what I want without oversight.

I will also probably start relearning randmax/randgen since that
pair allows configuration for each planet. It's a pita, but in the
end even if I have to add each planet as I get it, it is only one
time that I'd be managing that planet.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4940
Contact:

Post#44 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Here is what I found out in a game using a recently colonized planet. I used the settings you suggested, d10 f5 m5 d20 f10 m10 fsug msug dmax instead of the fmax msug dsug.
The planet started with m=0, f=28 and d=0. It has natives and a colony populaion of 20200. After I ran Tanascius the results were m=21, f=28 and d=20. With the other settings, it would have continued to build factories and then mines before building defenses. I going to play with those numbers and see what other kind of results I get.
Cool because that's one thing I dislike about Tanascuis. I'll be interested to see how this goes for you.

The other thing with Tanascuis. If two planets are close together (really really close) and you use the gravity well feature, it can send your ship to the wrong planet. I pillaged the wrong planet that way once......
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#45 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Cool because that's one thing I dislike about Tanascuis. I'll be interested to see how this goes for you.
Give me a couple more turns to verify what happen on a planet, but it looked good.
Gilgamesh wrote:The other thing with Tanascuis. If two planets are close together (really really close) and you use the gravity well feature, it can send your ship to the wrong planet. I pillaged the wrong planet that way once......
Next time, look before you pillage. :twisted:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Ask Cherek”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron