Dream Client for VGAP

This forum is for discussion of the open source Java VGA Planets Client (JVC) software by Lars Dam.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BitMask
Site Admin

Dream Client for VGAP

Post#1 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm

This is a follow through from a previous thread viewtopic.php?t=2809&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=, but since that heading does not fit, I created a new one 8)

For a recap. The dream VGAP Client should have the following:
B A N E wrote:The graphic beauty of oh... Birth of the Federation.
(old enough technology that it'll be blazing fast)

The functionality of VPA and EV combined.
(Tab...Tab...Tab...)

Simple (read: easy to implement) scripting of drudgery.
(click: run script X)

Single ship and multiship combat supported.
(oooh....ahhh)
Cherek wrote:add some planet management like Tanascius.
I'm looking at fixing/enhancing JVC. It's inspired by VPA, Runs on Java and except for the blazing fastness it fits the rest of the requirements well AND it's not DOS based.

Some current issues noted on JVC:
* Torp Tech Level slot incorrect - Seems fixed
* Intermittent Base Fighter building bug
* Minefield tool does not start/work
* Does not run on Java V1.6 - fixed
* Saving scoreboard colors
* Keyboard focus lost on Load Build minerals (fighters/torps) - fixed
* Cannot Hyperjump across Wrap Starmap

Some requested features:
* Ability to select which message types are filtered
* Fix autobuild to have Tanascius suggested option, but not try and build for very low Densities
Last edited by BitMask on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Some more updates...

Tanascious Tool: I have spoken with Christoph Dorfler. He will send me some of his VB6 code for his Tanascious tool so that I can incorporate it into JVC as soon as he has time. Looks like I could get everything except the Battle Sim, as that has some of Tim Wisseman's stuff in it under License. I have tried to contact Tim with regards to using that code as a base Battle Sim add-on, but had no reply for the past week :(

Echoview: I spoke with Stefan Glasauer about the Echoview code. He has decided to open source the Virtual Pascal code under the GPL. He'll post it on his website after he has done it.

This is all great news as I will be able to use all this to enhance JVC. 8)

Now all I need is time to do it all.

Cherek

Post#3 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

If you can get the battle sim and combat viewer like in PlayVCR that would be great too. If not, I can still use PlayVCR as a seperate program.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Good idea. Although PlayVCR is great as it is. It would be hard to martch. Maybe at the very lease incorporate it to run from inside JVC (if possible).

Cherek

Post#5 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Or maybe make it to where the user can select the VCR viewer to run.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

the.Ant

Re: Dream Client for VGAP

Post#6 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm looking at fixing/enhancing JVC. It's inspired by VPA, Runs on Java and except for the blazing fastness it fits the rest of the requirements well AND it's not DOS based.
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thank you SO much!

The Java aspect is really important to keep it portable to non-win systems.
One feature request which I would really, really appreciate is a possibility to check ships/planets one has already dealt with this turn. I usually do my turns ship by ship until none are left. I know you can check them as "turned" (or however you'd describe that), but that's only temporary and disappears as soon as you close the game (or switch race).

If these markers would stay, it would be much easier to distribute turns of large games, whenever you'd have 15 minutes you could move some ships, instead of having to plan half an evening for a turn.

When I think about it many more "would be nice" feature come into mind, like saving old messages and fights, easy reading of allies messages etc. but I guess better focus on more important things.

BTW, with larges game-databases (say 40+ turns) I frequently get out of memory errors, which occasionally even prevent the game from closing. I guess it's a java thing and can be fixed by manually assigning sufficient memory on start. But some way restrict memory consumption or to "flush out" the database would be nice.

Cherek

Post#7 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:04 pm

There is a new version of PlayVCR out.

http://phost.de/~stefan/cc2/unstable/Pl ... 080518.exe
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

the.Ant

Post#8 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:08 pm

BitMask wrote:Looks like I could get everything except the Battle Sim,
I just realized, the only part I use of Tanascius is the battlesim.
What's wrong with JVC autobuild?

Code: Select all

Echoview: I spoke with Stefan Glasauer about the Echoview code. He has decided to open source the Virtual Pascal code under the GPL. 
Speaking of Echoview, there is the 3rd party echoview plugin for JVC to show the amount of clans, etc Quite nice, however, the circles don't scale with the zoom-factor, so that would need fixing as well.
Now all I need is time to do it all.
I am willing to provide moral support in form of beer if that is to your liking :)

BTW, there is another open source planets-client calles Gnome warpad. Originally written in C, althought the author planned to port is to python. I don't know whether he ever succeeded though.

http://gwp.lunix.com.ar/

hennef

Post#9 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:20 pm

i will totally support the support the.Ant is giving to you. need some wine as well?

I bet we could easily support you one weekend long with freshly made food and drinks. You code, we cook. ;)

I just have one more "would be nice": the connection tool is working well, but it is not using the rounded distances correctly. as 81.4 ly can still be traveled in one turn, while 81.5 can not. same with flight time estimation and warp wells.
have fun!

hennef

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:41 pm

the.Ant wrote: Speaking of Echoview, there is the 3rd party echoview plugin for JVC to show the amount of clans, etc Quite nice, however, the circles don't scale with the zoom-factor, so that would need fixing as well.
Where can I find it? Name, etc.

Warpad looks to me to be less functional than JVC, and because I have been using JVC for some time, I know a little more of what goes on.

Thanks for all the features. List them here and I will see what we can do.

By the way. You guys do know you will have to fly 11 000Km to come do the cooking :) [/quote]

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#11 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Or maybe make it to where the user can select the VCR viewer to run.
I was thinking on the same line about selecting battle sims.

hennef

Post#12 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:51 pm

BitMask wrote:
the.Ant wrote: Speaking of Echoview, there is the 3rd party echoview plugin for JVC to show the amount of clans, etc Quite nice, however, the circles don't scale with the zoom-factor, so that would need fixing as well.
Where can I find it? Name, etc.

Warpad looks to me to be less functional than JVC, and because I have been using JVC for some time, I know a little more of what goes on.

Thanks for all the features. List them here and I will see what we can do.

By the way. You guys do know you will have to fly 11 000Km to come do the cooking :)
where do you live actually?
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#13 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Here are the various combat engines for Host & PHost:

FLAK
PVCR
TKF
TVCR2
VCR
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:25 pm

I have a compiled version that I have been playing with for a few turns.
You can download it here if you would like to try it.
http://vgap.innernet.co.za/files/JVC092b60.zip

You will most likely have to delete your old game.db and jvc.db files, but try it before deleting them and see what happens. I had to delete mine before it would work, but it could just be all my testing that broke it :shock:

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#15 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:34 pm

B A N E wrote:Here are the various combat engines for Host & PHost:

FLAK
PVCR
TKF
TVCR2
VCR
Thanks BANE

VCR is already builtin (But not the same as PlayVCR) and TVCR2 as a addin that you can use. So I guess we are almost halfway there with regards to VCR/sims.

Return to “Project 5: Open Source Java VGA Planets Client”