VGAP Lite

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

VGAP Lite

Post#1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am

With so many of us trying to get our Planets fix and still lead busy lives, would there be much call for a "Lite" version of the game? I'm talking about a limited race/ship/planet/turn type of set-up. You know, maybe only 6 races, total 200 ships, 250 planets and capped at say 60 or 70 turns. The Starbase runs what they call "Half Pint" games that I figure fit this idea. I posted recently that I am at my 1 game limit already but one day AQ will wrap up and then I'd probably be looking to get into something that will suck less of my life away ;)

So I ask again, would anyone else be interested in this kind of thing?
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

hennef

Post#2 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 am

in general yes, but not right now, as i have enough games atm.
have fun!

hennef

Cardno

Re: VGAP Lite

Post#3 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:03 am

FLETCH wrote:With so many of us trying to get our Planets fix and still lead busy lives, would there be much call for a "Lite" version of the game? I'm talking about a limited race/ship/planet/turn type of set-up. You know, maybe only 6 races, total 200 ships, 250 planets and capped at say 60 or 70 turns. The Starbase runs what they call "Half Pint" games that I figure fit this idea. I posted recently that I am at my 1 game limit already but one day AQ will wrap up and then I'd probably be looking to get into something that will suck less of my life away ;)

So I ask again, would anyone else be interested in this kind of thing?
How about a 1 on 1 with turns being played only when you have the time / desire. I have a crap record at losing both those I have been in so i would be easy prey :lol:

Cardno

Post#4 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 am

But seriously.... not a bad idea.

The Gross Tonnage game - capped at 80 turns, probably achieves something similar. Your've got to fight to win but you don't play forever.

How do they choose which 6 races are used at Starbase Fletch?

B A N E

Post#5 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:35 am

Re: Halfpints:
Different races for different games, last couple have IIRC been
via votes/suggestions.

Game length of half pints would likely be related to the races picked
and of course players in game.

A Carrier game: (5 races)
Borg, Empire, Robots, Rebels and Empire would be a relatively
simple straight forward slugfest.

A Torper game (6 races)
Fed, Lizard, Bird, Fascist, Pirate & Crystal could be quite long due
to the higher game complexity relative to a CV game.

The easiest solution to simplify games is to set a victory condition
AND a turn limit.

I generally do not like open ended games.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 am

B A N E wrote: I generally do not like open ended games.
Me too :!:

100 turns in the normal 3xweekly til turn 25, then 2x week = 46weeks. that is without pause/interruptions which is almost a year. To much RL happens in a year that makes few players standing till the end (Excluding those killed)

Klauser

Post#7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:11 am

I've been toying with "scenario"-based games for quite some time - the Klingon Civil War and "Arena" (with Bane) being the most recent examples. In fact, they both use victory conditions and turn limits like Bane methioned above.

I've been playing with the idea of doing something smaller along the lines of what Fletch suggested, but have ran into several problems.

- In THost, as far as I know there is no way to impose a lesser-than-500 ship limit.

- Smaller scale games tend to exaggerate differences between races/shiplists. Unless played really well, the "weaker" races tend to get hammered.

These can be somewhat balanced by building a scenario with pre-placed starting empires and fleets, but many players want to build their own empires, and it does involve alot of time upfront for the developer and/or Host.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

B A N E

Post#8 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:40 am

Klauser wrote:- In THost, as far as I know there is no way to impose a lesser-than-500 ship limit.
FYI, warpedboard created an addon for CM duels that solves this.
It builds the first X# of ships and places them way off the map somewhere.
ftp://ftp.circus-maximus.com/pub/VGAPla ... pShips.zip

Then the only slots available are the ones on map.
Same solution as maps with less than 500 planets.

8)
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

warpedboard

Post#9 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:49 am

B A N E wrote:
Klauser wrote:- In THost, as far as I know there is no way to impose a lesser-than-500 ship limit.
FYI, warpedboard created an addon for CM duels that solves this.
It builds the first X# of ships and places them way off the map somewhere.
ftp://ftp.circus-maximus.com/pub/VGAPla ... pShips.zip

Then the only slots available are the ones on map.
Same solution as maps with less than 500 planets.

8)
And no, you can't fly off the map and steal and/or glory-pop them, before you get any bright ideas :wink:

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 am

Klauser wrote:I've been toying with "scenario"-based games for quite some time - the Klingon Civil War
Hold it right there. Was I around when this was happening? I would be all over this scenario!

As for the other points in this thread:

I never join open ended games and I like the 80 turn limit more than 100 in any regular game.

I like the lite ideas but like Hennef, I'm at my limit. This would be a great summer game though!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am

I think you were. This was only a year or so ago.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#12 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:44 am

That was when things were hitting a rough patch for me - I probably wasn't paying attention. If this scenario ever comes up again and I've got the time for another game, you can bet I'll be in. I'm going to go search the forum archives for it right now.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am

Found the thread, seems like that was in 2005. I think I was still playing mostly at RC world then.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Found the thread, seems like that was in 2005. I think I was still playing mostly at RC world then.
It's not 2005 anymore?
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#15 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:10 am

It came as a surprise to me too....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Game Suggestions”