USB Flash Drives

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

USB Flash Drives

Post#1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 am

OK - I'm not one for expensive technology for its own sake, but these things are around $10 for 4 gig here in Canada and I could play turns here at work, so I'm intrigued. How do you set it up? Can you pull Echoview and Tanascuis onto it as well? How do you keep it in sync with your home PC or do you just play off the flash drive all the time (and hope you don't forget it at work)?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Re: USB Flash Drives

Post#2 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:37 am

Gilgamesh wrote:OK - I'm not one for expensive technology for its own sake, but these things are around $10 for 4 gig here in Canada and I could play turns here at work, so I'm intrigued. How do you set it up? Can you pull Echoview and Tanascuis onto it as well? How do you keep it in sync with your home PC or do you just play off the flash drive all the time (and hope you don't forget it at work)?
I have literally copied my disk to a folder on my thumb drive and just go into the folder and use the setup program to install VGAP into a new folder on the thumb drive when I want to play a game remotely.

Of course, I play with a DOS copy, VPA and other command line related tools via a batch file I've used for years.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:46 am

Sorry - I don't understand what you said there.

So - day 1 - I come home with the flash drive, plug it into a USB port and copy my Winplan and Echoview folders to the flash drive? What do you mean by running the setup program?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Sorry - I don't understand what you said there.

So - day 1 - I come home with the flash drive, plug it into a USB port and copy my Winplan and Echoview folders to the flash drive? What do you mean by running the setup program?
You're talking about copying folders with Winplan. (which will probably work as well)

I'm using the DOS disk copied into a folder. So I enter the folder and use it's install.exe program. Then I install a new game to a folder on the thumb drive (that it creates in the process) and register it.

From there I unpack all of my favorite utilities into that new game folder. VPA, Ground Pound, PCC, resource.pln.........etc..........

Then I unpack (via VPA) an RST and play away. When I'm finished (I use PCC's built in Maketurn command instead of Tims), and then send my turn in.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:57 am

OK thanks. It sounds like I can just copy everything including the exe to the drive and as long as I unpack there, I can play from the drive(?)

Seems like once you start there it's best to keep playing from there though. Echoview would get way out of sync if you played one turn from the flash drive, next turn from the hard drive.

I think I'll have to give this a try. It would make vacations a lot easier (just have to take one of the daughter's laptops along - that will only work for another year or so before they get fed up with family vacations...)
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:06 pm

I find I alternate.

For example, I'm in Oblivion 2 and play that on my box at home. But I've got a copy of the game on my thumb drive as well, and if I need to play a turn while away from home, I have my setup, and some data (turn history) on the thumb drive in VPA.

So I can play my turn from anywhere that way, and then log into my web mail and send the turn in afterwords.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#7 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm

OK - I have to try this out....

Thanks!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#8 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:45 pm

Havok wrote:I find I alternate.

For example, I'm in Oblivion 2 and play that on my box at home. But I've got a copy of the game on my thumb drive as well, and if I need to play a turn while away from home, I have my setup, and some data (turn history) on the thumb drive in VPA.

So I can play my turn from anywhere that way, and then log into my web mail and send the turn in afterwords.
I wonder who's missing in Oblivion2?!!?!??!?!
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Actually my turn is finished. I just want to pass through it one more time after work before I send it up.
Regards,
][avok

the.Ant

Re: USB Flash Drives

Post#10 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Havok wrote: I have literally copied my disk to a folder on my thumb drive and just go into the folder and use the setup program to install VGAP into a new folder on the thumb drive when I want to play a game remotely.
Actually, I have a similar project in mind for quite a while already. I know that most of you are not into Linux, however, I think it might still be useful.

It's relatively doable to create a custom Linux with just a minimal installation which runs from a USB stick. Thus you would have a USB-stick with wich you could boot any machine you come across with not much more than say a webbrowser and planets on it. This would make it easy to carry your games around make your turns from any machine you come across without the need to install anything. If it's set up correctly, no knowledge of linux would be needed to use it, just copy the image to any USB-stick, copy your personal planets version on it as well and off you go... If only I had the time... But winter is coming and nights are getting longer, so maybe that will do the trick ;)

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#11 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:23 am

Gil, If you want to use Winplan on an USB Drive, you will have to install Winplan on the PC you want to play/use. Wat you can do is take the shareware version and just install it someplace other that over you Planets folder. (You can even install it on your USB Drive someplace as the installation copies files to the Windows folder which is actually all you want).

If on the other side you where using JVC, then there was no istall needed.

The other option is also to export your Echoview data. This can then just be imported on the PC you play with clean Winplan&echoview install and you will have your latest (Not the history also) Echoview data. <-- great for emergency. My Echoview guide has a segment on the Import/export of data.

Gavan

Post#12 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:48 am

Gil,

I move my turn between about 3 computers at the moment.

1. I have installed shareware winplan on all 3 computers and deleted the c:\plan1 directory it installs

2. Then I move my c:\planets directory to the computer I wish to play my turn on.

3. When I am finished I move the c:\planets directory back to a safe location.

I do this over the net but the same idea would work on a usb key.

The only thing I have to do is add each game inside echoview on each computer but echoview does remember all of my history without a problem as the echoview files are in my winplan directory.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Six_Of_One

Post#13 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:24 am

Shewt, you guys make it sound so complicated......

All i would do is copy my plan1 folder onto the thumb drive.
There are 7? other files you need from windows system
threed/guage/csspin/vcvbx/tips1/spin/mci

Sometime ago i copied planets onto a laptop, made a desktop shortcut and then clicked on it. It goes through the list of files missing one by one, and i then copied them into windows system folder, but also into a "next time" folder.

So now i could simply copy plan1 and my saved files onto a thumb drive. any computer i plug it into, i simply copy the saved files into windows system folder and bobs ya uncle.

Non of this installing shareware bs first :roll:

Try it gilgamesh, :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:08 am

nice list Six. just maybe extend the list with the file names and suffix (eg. dll) and the windows folder the guys should get/put it too, then that would be a very useful list.

Six_Of_One

Post#15 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:21 am

most from memory are .vbx.

But im a tad tired to do complete research :cry:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Return to “Ask Cherek”