USB Flash Drives

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#16 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:35 am

:stars:

OK - thanks for all the advice but now I'm really confused.

So -

Can I copy the folder to the thumb drive and start the planets exe from there or not? I'm sorry I'm not getting this faster.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Re: USB Flash Drives

Post#17 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 am

the.Ant wrote:
Havok wrote: I have literally copied my disk to a folder on my thumb drive and just go into the folder and use the setup program to install VGAP into a new folder on the thumb drive when I want to play a game remotely.
Actually, I have a similar project in mind for quite a while already. I know that most of you are not into Linux, however, I think it might still be useful.

It's relatively doable to create a custom Linux with just a minimal installation which runs from a USB stick. Thus you would have a USB-stick with wich you could boot any machine you come across with not much more than say a webbrowser and planets on it. This would make it easy to carry your games around make your turns from any machine you come across without the need to install anything. If it's set up correctly, no knowledge of linux would be needed to use it, just copy the image to any USB-stick, copy your personal planets version on it as well and off you go... If only I had the time... But winter is coming and nights are getting longer, so maybe that will do the trick ;)
Have you tried either of the Linux clients?
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Re: USB Flash Drives

Post#18 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:22 am

Havok wrote:
the.Ant wrote:
Havok wrote: I have literally copied my disk to a folder on my thumb drive and just go into the folder and use the setup program to install VGAP into a new folder on the thumb drive when I want to play a game remotely.
Actually, I have a similar project in mind for quite a while already. I know that most of you are not into Linux, however, I think it might still be useful.

It's relatively doable to create a custom Linux with just a minimal installation which runs from a USB stick. Thus you would have a USB-stick with wich you could boot any machine you come across with not much more than say a webbrowser and planets on it. This would make it easy to carry your games around make your turns from any machine you come across without the need to install anything. If it's set up correctly, no knowledge of linux would be needed to use it, just copy the image to any USB-stick, copy your personal planets version on it as well and off you go... If only I had the time... But winter is coming and nights are getting longer, so maybe that will do the trick ;)
Have you tried either of the Linux clients?
He plays on JVC only. Just like hennef and myself. We might be the only 3 fultime JVC players that I know off.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#19 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:26 am

Gilgamesh wrote::stars:

So -

Can I copy the folder to the thumb drive and start the planets exe from there or not? I'm sorry I'm not getting this faster.
For DOS planets (planets.exe) the short answer is yes.
If Winplan (winplan.exe) the short answer is, first copy the 7 .vbx files Six listed from your Windows folder to the USB (Make a seperate folder for them) and then on the new windows PC you can copy them to the Windows folder also. Then only the answer is Yes.

Gilgamesh

Post#20 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:34 am

OK maybe this won't work. Our machines at work are locked down pretty tight. If I could do everything from the flashdrive I might be able to play a turn or two at work if I was holding things up (like Hennef is right now :P ) but if I have to make changes to my machine here it's probably a non-starter.

Thanks everyone for the advice, though.

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#21 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:42 am

If they have Java installed you could use JVC. Or else VPA will work. But yea, you're stuck.

Cherek

Post#22 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:52 am

Gilgamesh wrote::stars:

So -

Yes you can. If you move it to another computer, you'll need to make sure that the 3 DLL's are in the Windows/system directory. On my thumb drive I aslo have a copy of the three floppy disk so that I can do a quick install and then delete the c:\plan directory and run VGAP from the thumb drive.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#23 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:56 am

Since the machine at work are locked down find the DLL's and copy them into the windows\system directory.

*edit*
I believe the files are .vbx not DLL's.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#24 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 am

Gilgamesh wrote:OK maybe this won't work. Our machines at work are locked down pretty tight. If I could do everything from the flashdrive I might be able to play a turn or two at work if I was holding things up (like Hennef is right now :P ) but if I have to make changes to my machine here it's probably a non-starter.

Gil
As long as you copy everything to the flash drive (at home) then you play off the flash drive when you're at work. Unless they lock down the USB ports too. :)
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#25 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:24 am

Including the dlls/vbxs or do they have to go on the work machine's windows system directory? Do I set up a windows system folder on the USB stick?

Or do I install shareware winplan and then...... :shock: :( :P
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#26 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:24 am

Havok wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:OK maybe this won't work. Our machines at work are locked down pretty tight. If I could do everything from the flashdrive I might be able to play a turn or two at work if I was holding things up (like Hennef is right now :P ) but if I have to make changes to my machine here it's probably a non-starter.

Gil
As long as you copy everything to the flash drive (at home) then you play off the flash drive when you're at work. Unless they lock down the USB ports too. :)
You'll still need those VBX files on any other computer.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#27 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:28 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Including the dlls/vbxs or do they have to go on the work machine's windows system directory? Do I set up a windows system folder on the USB stick?

Or do I install shareware winplan and then...... :shock: :( :P
From Tim's site

Windows System Files:
FTP: vbx.zip c:\windows\system\*.vbx files that winplan uses

http://homepage.mac.com/ti2gr/.Public/p ... an/vbx.zip
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#28 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:32 am

Also, WinPlan user I had forgotten about those bitmap, you might want to check them out.

http://donovan.circus-maximus.com//winplan/wpvcr.htm
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#29 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:37 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: You'll still need those VBX files on any other computer.
OK then I'm probably sunk - I don't think I'm allowed to make that kind of change to the system folders.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#30 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:47 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: You'll still need those VBX files on any other computer.
OK then I'm probably sunk - I don't think I'm allowed to make that kind of change to the system folders.
The good thing about them is that they are not are not installed, just copied.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Ask Cherek”