Cloak intercept and battle order

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Hawkeye

Cloak intercept and battle order

Post#1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:47 am

Hi Cherek

In a game I'm playing in, I set 2 darkwings to cloak intercept the same ship, with PE set on both to attack the intercepted ship. The one I wanted to fight first (ship ID 179), I set FC to 232 and the one I wanted to fight second (ship ID 262), I set FC to 565.

However the ship with ID 262 (FC 565) fought first, not second. Any thoughts on why they fought out of order?

TIA, Hawkeye

Gavan

Post#2 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:49 am

Donovan's Says

"
The highest ID ship with a cloaking device on an intercept mission attacks before lower ID ships with a cloaking device on intercept missions.
"
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:20 am

So that would mean that the FC has nothing to do with the battle order when cloakers are on an intercept... :?

hennef

Post#4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:12 pm

that is the point of cloaked intercept ;)
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post#5 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:48 pm

Hawkeye wrote:So that would mean that the FC has nothing to do with the battle order when cloakers are on an intercept... :?
Cloaked interecpt ignores battle order all together, thats why cloaked ships on a intercetp mission will fight the ship they are set to intercept instead of having to fight all the ships at the x,y in battle order.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:20 am

Enemy#1 wrote: Cloaked interecpt ignores battle order all together, thats why cloaked ships on a intercetp mission will fight the ship they are set to intercept instead of having to fight all the ships at the x,y in battle order.
And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks 8) (cause I did not know this one)

Hawkeye

Post#7 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:32 am

BitMask wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote: Cloaked interecpt ignores battle order all together, thats why cloaked ships on a intercetp mission will fight the ship they are set to intercept instead of having to fight all the ships at the x,y in battle order.
And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks 8) (cause I did not know this one)
Guess this applies to us young dogs as well :D

Cheers all!

Captain Blood

Post#8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:43 am

Once let say 2 DW´s killed the 2 ships they intercepted, I would like to know if it is correct they will then fight due to the numerical FC and not higest shipnumber anymore?

Since some of you apparently have the answer right at hand I decided not to look into Donovan before asking.

Perhaps I should try the Birds in my next game.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Gavan

Post#9 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 am

Yes as far as I know, when the cloaking intercept is finished for all ships, then the standard battle order applies.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Shardin5

Post#10 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:58 am

Captain Blood wrote:Once let say 2 DW´s killed the 2 ships they intercepted, I would like to know if it is correct they will then fight due to the numerical FC and not higest shipnumber anymore?

Since some of you apparently have the answer right at hand I decided not to look into Donovan before asking.

Yes.

Cloakers, it doesn't matter what race, will fight in numerical order based on FC, after all cloaked intercept battles are over. Mix up your cloaked DW's with Intercpting DW's, remember to use Ship ID, for the intercepting ships as a quasi numerical fightting order.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#11 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Captain Blood wrote:Once let say 2 DW´s killed the 2 ships they intercepted, I would like to know if it is correct they will then fight due to the numerical FC and not higest shipnumber anymore?

If they survive the cloak/intercept attack then they will follow normal combat rules and fight in the normal combat.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

streu

Post#12 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:So that would mean that the FC has nothing to do with the battle order when cloakers are on an intercept... :?
Cloaked interecpt ignores battle order all together, thats why cloaked ships on a intercetp mission will fight the ship they are set to intercept instead of having to fight all the ships at the x,y in battle order.
NO NO NO! Cloaked ships cannot intercept! (Since that's confusing for many people, I agitate for using the term "intercept attack" or, if you insist having "cloak" in it, "cloaker intercept", but "cloaked intercept" is just plain wrong, because it is not cloaked.)

That aside, cloakers doing intercept-attack will honor battle order in recent PHosts due to player demand. That is, first all intercepting cloakers will fight their targets in battle order, and then all remaining ships fight in battle order. This allows people to intercept a target with several ships and still configure a battle order. Earlier PHosts behave like Tim's host and resolve intercept attack in reverse Id order.

--Stefan

Shardin5

Post#13 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Ah,
the latest version of PHOST allows you to set ships to Intercept, and use FC battle order instead of Highest ship ID, that is good news to hear.
Yes the term Cloaked Intercept, is a misnomer of sorts.
President Ronald Reagan

Hawkeye

Post#14 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Awlrighty then, here's another one for ya

Two cloakers, lets call them A and B are set to intercept two freighters, lets call them 1 and 2. A is set to intercept 1, and B is set to intercept 2.

If freighters 1 and 2 travel together, will A fight 1, followed by B fighting 2, or will one of the cloakers fight 1 then fight 2 afterwards...?

Cherek

Post#15 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Two cloakers, lets call them A and B are set to intercept two freighters, lets call them 1 and 2. A is set to intercept 1, and B is set to intercept 2.

If freighters 1 and 2 travel together, will A fight 1, followed by B fighting 2, or will one of the cloakers fight 1 then fight 2 afterwards...?
A will fight 1 and B will fight 2. All the intercept attacks will will be resolved before regular combat.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Ask Cherek”