I have in my hand...

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Trillian

Post#31 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:50 pm

So you live in some exotic vacation paradise with lots of aquatic life and dancing aborigines? Is New Zealand really as impressive as it's tourism video?

Oh that second video is so sad. I may not know exactly what continent each country is on, but I certainly know most of the major pieces of architecture. Why do all videos portray Americans as stupid? Because the majority of them are. The average American is amazingly stupid and illiterate.

Too bad the kids aren't older. I would have them each write me a paper about New Zealand. That would be worth reading!
Trillian

Cardno

Post#32 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:10 pm

Trillian wrote:So you live in some exotic vacation paradise with lots of aquatic life and dancing aborigines? Is New Zealand really as impressive as it's tourism video?
I've done a bit of travelling - Europe, North America, China, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, (even Australia), quite a few Pacific Islands. I think for square mile, we probably do have one of the most beautiful countries in the world with very diverse landforms and climates within a relatively small area.

The scenery in Lord of the Rings is all real.

I really want to get to South America and to spend more time in Canada.

Trillian wrote:Oh that second video is so sad. I may not know exactly what continent each country is on, but I certainly know most of the major pieces of architecture. Why do all videos portray Americans as stupid? Because the majority of them are. The average American is amazingly stupid and illiterate.
No comment :lol:
Trillian wrote:Too bad the kids aren't older. I would have them each write me a paper about New Zealand. That would be worth reading!
What the heck, I thought Jedis had special powers. Get those kids onto it!

Trillian

Post#33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Ok, I just did some power reading. The kids are making far too much noise for me to really concentrate.

It really does look beautiful in all the pictures I saw. Almost too good to be real. I guess I'm too used to seeing pictures of places like New York (gag).

I forgot that Lord of the Rings was filmed there, and we even have two of the movies check out right now.

The two older children are learning to read right now. They are surprisingly late readers (Zap and I both read early and were very advanced in our reading skills). So we are a bit confused by this late reading thing. I suspect they can actually read more than the let on, and just don't want to. Which is really baffling for me, because Zap and I read constantly (articles on the net and books). Why wouldn't someone want to hurry up and read?

I now know where New Zealand is located by the way. I've seen the flag and the coat of arms. I was curious what continent it was on and now I see that it's not. It's odd though, while Hawaii is not a continental island, we still call it part of North America. New Zealand appears to be on the continent of Zelandia, which is NEVER mentioned in American schools. We are only taught 7 continents (unless something has changed in the 16 years since I graduated). I now understand WHY I didn't really know where New Zealand is located, and it was because of the continent issue.

Sorry for the long post. Have to run, the baby is crying.
Trillian

hennef

Post#34 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:15 pm

quite interesting reads - thanks for that. One thing about continents though: there are 7 if you include antartica.

A, A, E, A, A, A and A! somebody really got a favourite letter there!

There are a lot more continental plates that are not considered continents but are all part of the plate tectonics system. The number is varying over time. Right now it should be 13 different items moving across the earth.

In general: if there are mountains, there is a border of plates, or there has been one earlier.
have fun!

hennef

Cardno

Post#35 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Interesting posts re continents and continental plates.

That jogged my memory about Gondwana - a prevoius super continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana

This site might also be of interest

http://history-nz.org/discovery.html

In the most dramatic and clear evidence that there is an all powerful God, as the link above states, that New Zealand, once joined onto Australia, drifted off from it some 80 million years ago. :lol:

FLETCH

Post#36 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Yes Thank Christ for that...... :roll:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Post#37 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Well, everyone is happy then....

Return to “Ask Cherek”