Another Randmax question....

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#16 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

It's been another learning curve - I started up with this months ago and left off for a while. The came break has given me a chance to play around with it again. I'll start experimenting with it in Destitute starting next turn but the best thing would be a new game to start off from scratch. I won't be doing that for a while....

Cheers!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#17 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:04 am

Gilgamesh wrote:OK - you have to do a maketurn to apply the Randmax changes, right?

I was thinking nothing was working..... :?
No, you have to run RandMax or RandMax_win first then maketurn.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#18 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:OK - you have to do a maketurn to apply the Randmax changes, right?

I was thinking nothing was working..... :?
No, you have to run RandMax or RandMax_win first then maketurn.
Sorry - yes that's what I meant. I was running Randmax_win and seeing nothing. I expected it to change the planets before making the turn, the way you would if you were changing the planets manually.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#19 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Reload the rst file. When you open RandMax_win, you should see three screens, a top right and left and the bottom screen. When you select your vpworkX directory, press the Randmax button, and in the bottom screen you should see the results.

Randmax doesn't remember the last vpworkX that you ran, you have to select the game directory every time you run it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#20 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:48 pm

I did all that, it was just the maketurn thing I was missing. It's looking good now. I have to fiddle with the planets a bit to get what I want (I wish it would build the first f15 m20 d15 before spending extra to get a 16th factory and making the planet detectable) but otherwise I think I'm on track now. It will be a while before I join a new game to test it out in a "real" situation though.

Thanks for the help!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#21 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:31 pm

That is why I only do the f15 m20 d15, then use EchoView to set up each planet after the planet reaches those build points.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Now there's an idea. It does mean you lose a little of the ease of use that Randmax is supposed to provide though.

It would be a good enhancement to give you a switch that allowed you to choose to build ahead of the level you are in or not.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#23 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:54 pm

why only 15dp's? If you are going to spend the money on them, might as well step up to 21dp's.
I started using Randmax mid game, just put in the Randmax.ini, then use Echoview to go through your planets. Setting the order of builds, as well as the number of each. As well as the tax rates. Then using the prediction feature, you can tweak things. Using EchoView you can go through your planets pretty quickly.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Gilgamesh

Post#24 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Depends on the planet and what you want to do with it but 15 is the number that will shield you from sensor detection with more than 15 factories and/or 20 mines. 21 DP will make your native races undetectable by enemy bio-scanners.

On a planet that I feel is relatively safe, no natives and has good minerals, I'll go to 15 defence and concentrate on getting the factories and mines running, for example.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#25 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:06 pm

If you set the default to 15 and if it has natives, you can always adjust it in EchoView to 21 to hide them. I feel that d15 is a good default, but each has their own way of doing things.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#26 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:11 pm

That is true. For the extra 60mc's, building to 21 not only hides it, but protects it from annoying probes.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#27 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Now there's an idea. It does mean you lose a little of the ease of use that Randmax is supposed to provide though.
It is still better than doing each planet each turn. Each turn you run Randmax, it builds what you set to for each planet, automatically.
Gilgamesh wrote:It would be a good enhancement to give you a switch that allowed you to choose to build ahead of the level you are in or not.
Agreed or the shift-F3 function in EchoView would auto build.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#28 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:46 pm

I would like to do a lot of things in Echoview, than just use it as a map, resource tracker and prediction for next turn.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#29 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:It would be a good enhancement to give you a switch that allowed you to choose to build ahead of the level you are in or not.
Agreed or the shift-F3 function in EchoView would auto build.
I have found a way to simulate RandMan in EchoView. Go under Tools >> Prediction and put a check in autobuild structures, simulate RANDMAX taxation and External Randmax simulation. You will be able to your future builds using the shift-F3 keys.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#30 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:53 pm

That was posted sometime ago, and using precition with Echoview, to test Randmax settings has been preached about a LOT.
:twisted:
President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Ask Cherek”