Ultracorps........ sounds just like VGAP

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

Ultracorps........ sounds just like VGAP

Post#1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 am

Anyone else seen this :?:

http://ultracorps.sjgames.com/about.html

About UltraCorps
UltraCorps is a turn-based massively multiplayer online game of space exploration and combat. Starting with a single planet, you can expand your empire to dozens and even hundreds of worlds. But hundreds of other players are building their empires, too. The universe is so big that you'll never meet most of them except in the game forums . . . but you still compete against them for number of worlds conquered, total power of your fleets, and so on.

UltraCorps can also be played as a solo game, and in "PUB Game" mode. These "Private Universe Battles" are for two to six players, and can be run at any speed, from weekly turns to blitz. Registered players can create their own PUB Games, and either invite specific opponents or throw them open to everyone who is registered.

Because UltraCorps is a browser-based game, all you need is a net connection and any standard browser. You log in at your own convenience, review your empire, check out your neighbors, read your game mail, and enter your commands. At a specified time (typically, once a day) the turn runs, and the next time you log in, you'll see your results. If you think you'll have to miss a turn, you can enter long-term commands for building and movement.

The game rewards planning, tactical skill, and negotiation. There is no "twitch" element. There are random factors in combat, so that a small battle can be decided by fortune . . . but a large one will almost always come out according to the odds. And a solo version is available in which you conquer a small cluster, running turns whenever you want, in order to learn the game without pressure.

In the long run, we want to bring UltraCorps back as a full-featured, pay-to-play game. We don't yet have a timetable for this. Nor do we know how much we'll charge.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

lord vinny

Post#2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:31 pm

does sound familiar doesnt it?

ive never seen this game but there is another game called "stars" out there thats alot like vga too..i dont have a link to it but a buddy of mine showed it to me when i told him about vga. your start off with two ships and a planet with a sb and you play just like vga..ships, resources, weapons and combat was different but aside from that you play the game exactly the same.
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Nfredible

Post#3 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

I have a game called Sword of the Stars. It is turn based, but played in semi-real time in as much as if you are playing single player, the computer gets its turn and makes its moves and so on. It has network online capabilities as well, but I don't know if it can be turn based like VGAP. It is significantly more graphically oriented. It looked cool, and the graphics are good, but I can't say it held my interests... just a thought though.
Later,
Nfred'
Argue not with the dragon for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 pm

lord vinny wrote:does sound familiar doesnt it?

ive never seen this game but there is another game called "stars" out there thats alot like vga too..i dont have a link to it but a buddy of mine showed it to me when i told him about vga. your start off with two ships and a planet with a sb and you play just like vga..ships, resources, weapons and combat was different but aside from that you play the game exactly the same.
Star's is pretty much gone. Their authors site went offline a couple of years ago. (last I checked).
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Has anyone tried this yet?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:41 am

There are Thousand Parsec as well. Open source and still in dev., but it not VGAP 8)
http://www.thousandparsec.net/tp/

Six_Of_One

Post#7 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 am

BitMask wrote:There are Thousand Parsec as well. Open source and still in dev., but it not VGAP 8)
http://www.thousandparsec.net/tp/
Thanx fer the link, interesting reading though ithink the forums are fer programming geeks :wink: :P
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Return to “Ask Cherek”