BSG

This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

BSG

Post#1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:05 am

It's just getting stranger....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 am

Nah. They're just setting things up for the grand finale.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 am

Tighe and Caprica is just creepy.....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:10 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Tighe and Caprica is just creepy.....
She's better looking than the crazy one he's married too. :)
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#5 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 am

I thought the two-parter concerning the mutiny on the GALACTICA was some of the best work they've done since the first season.

Caveat: I choose to ignore the fact that the basis for the mutiny - Adama cooperating with the "rebel" Cylons - makes little sense. These are the Cylons that are willing to work with the coloniial survivors.

Having said that, I agree with Gill that the last couple episodes have reverted back to their convoluted and drama-centered format. But like ][avok said, I think that's becaused they're building up to the finale.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Shardin5

Post#6 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm

I am very Happy I have a DVR, so I can just Rush through some of the this crap. Last 2 Episodes have lost the steam of the begining of the season, and reverting to what has ruined the series from the last season and a half.
There just isn't enough time to fix the crap they are now doing again, with a Series ending final.
1st 2 seasons of BSG are OUTSTANDING, the rest of it is really off the mark.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:I am very Happy I have a DVR, so I can just Rush through some of the this crap. Last 2 Episodes have lost the steam of the begining of the season, and reverting to what has ruined the series from the last season and a half.
There just isn't enough time to fix the crap they are now doing again, with a Series ending final.
Season 3 started off so promising with the rescue on New Caprica. Downhill from there (the rest of season 3). I think 4 has been better. But now they're trying to cram so much into this last season that it often feels rushed to me.
Regards,
][avok

Shardin5

Post#8 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Havok wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:I am very Happy I have a DVR, so I can just Rush through some of the this crap. Last 2 Episodes have lost the steam of the begining of the season, and reverting to what has ruined the series from the last season and a half.
Season 3 started off so promising with the rescue on New Caprica. Downhill from there (the rest of season 3). I think 4 has been better. But now they're trying to cram so much into this last season that it often feels rushed to me.
1st 3 episodes of Season 3, had you thinking this was just going to be awesome, and then phfffft, they forgot how they started the season. Season 4 was just a filler, sorry it had its good points, but just drifted the series. They have just a few more Episodes, sure hope they go out like they started in season 1
President Ronald Reagan

Shardin5

Post#9 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:10 pm

This series is beginning to remind me of Star Trek:Enterprise,
Good start, and then it fell apart.
Producers forgot what they had, and have gone out on some wild tagent they thought was cool.
Granted Rick Berman is a real idiot, and thinks space time continumem, is a them for a show. It gets OLD quickly, and all this stuff with Earth, Cylon, and Hybrds, is getting old too. I love a thinking Sci-Fi, Bab5 is still my favorite, but BSG has lost its marbles.
President Ronald Reagan

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:This series is beginning to remind me of Star Trek:Enterprise,
Good start, and then it fell apart.
Producers forgot what they had, and have gone out on some wild tagent they thought was cool.
Granted Rick Berman is a real idiot, and thinks space time continumem, is a them for a show. It gets OLD quickly, and all this stuff with Earth, Cylon, and Hybrds, is getting old too. I love a thinking Sci-Fi, Bab5 is still my favorite, but BSG has lost its marbles.
ST was dead and buried after Voyager. Why in gods name did they even make Enterprise. Sure, there was some good parts, but really they were few and far between, plus it totally screwed up Trek continuity.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#11 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm

I actually thought Enterprise started off weak, got weaker (the long mission in the Expanse) and was starting to get good when they ended it.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Klauser

Post#12 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I actually thought Enterprise started off weak, got weaker (the long mission in the Expanse) and was starting to get good when they ended it.
I'm a long-time Trek fan, so you're bringing up a major sore point with me.

Voyager was a continuing disappointment for me - each season would have a handfull of episodes that were worth watching, but week-to-week it just wasn't worth bothering to watch.

Enterprise started out about the same - during the first two seasons it had some episodes that were worth watching, but just as many that were poor. Then the abomination that was the third season hit. With maybe 2-3 exceptions, that entire season was a descent into crap television. I kid you not - when the cliff-hanger hit at the end of season three aired, I threw my remote at the TV. It was THAT bad.

However I'm with Gil (again). Enterprise really turned it around in Season 4. Once they got past resolving the horror from the end of the third season, they had a string of real strong episodes - most of them mutli-episode arcs, that rivaled the best of the O/S, TNG and DS9. The "Augment" story arc - following up the genetic supermen hinted at in TOS' "Space Seed". The "Vulcan" arc, which tied together how the arrogant, patronizing Entrprise era Vulcans changed to the cerebral peaceloving Vulcans of the TOS era. The three episode arc that actually showed the beginnings of the humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites working together - with the shadows of the Romulans in the background - staring towards the formation of the Federation. The outstanding two-part Mirror story. Great stuff (... right up until the abortion that was the series finale. Courtesy of Mr. Berman himself).

However good Season 4 was, by then it was too late. Paramount pissed away whatever chance they had with their viewers and the seres got the axe.
Klauser

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Agreed - great Klingons think alike....

I missed most of DS9 when it first came out and am catching up in re-runs. For me, when the Dominion Wars start to loom, it's the best Trek of all for sustained story line.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Shardin5

Post#14 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:00 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Agreed - great Klingons think alike....

I missed most of DS9 when it first came out and am catching up in re-runs. For me, when the Dominion Wars start to loom, it's the best Trek of all for sustained story line.
NOW that was a VERY good storyline. Probably the best story line for any of the Star Treks.

Season 4 of Enterprise, is were Season 1 should have gone, and was kind of heading that way, until Berman decided to leave Star Trek lore behind and create the Sulaban. WHAT A WASTE.

BSG has kind of gone the same way, Season 1, darn right awesome, season 2 still kicking, Season 3 WTF, and Season 4 tried a few times to fix things, but they just aren't doing it. Current season, is down right screwy, and I am afraid that they will do some Crazy and the end and ruin the series, just like Enterprise did.

On a side note, anybody see the new Bones, in the upcoming movie? Looks like the creaters of the Movie, never ever saw a Episode of TOS
President Ronald Reagan

Klauser

Post#15 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:02 am

While there were some individual episodes that were better, I have to agree with E1 that it was the best story arc done in Trek.

The Dominion War arc did tend to wander some, and there was the occasional filler episode that "forgot" the war was going on. But all-in-all ... good stuff.

Of course, there really hasn't been that many other story arcs in Trek. TOS and TNG were largely episodic with the occasional two-parter thrown in. Voyager had the Year of Hell mini-arc (there may be others - I missed alot of Voyager). And of course the Xindi arc (spits on floor) from Enterprise.

One thing I never fully understood - DS9 fans seem sharply divided on the Dominion War arc. One camp appears to treats it like it was a a betrayal of DS9's original concept - and that adding Worf to the cast somehow made it worse. The other camp (me included) thought it made for some great television - and some of the best Trek made.

Those years were a great time to be a sci-fi fan. You had some great Trek being aired ... and Babylon 5 to boot!!
Klauser

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”