Ubuntu, Ubuntu.... we all fall down.

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

Ubuntu, Ubuntu.... we all fall down.

Post#1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm housebound at the moment, a slave to the good lady wife who has just come out of hospital. Being a tad bored, i looked too far into my networkworld emails and followed a thread forever about windoze 7 finally being the death of Linux. :roll:

Needless to say the replies were venomous, sarcastic etc etc.

Bottom line is i now have Ubuntu dual booting with WinXP. Had to laugh though, as it took as long as XP to install and then had some 293 updates to be done that took almost 2 hours. On top of that i tried to do the enhanced desktop first, it needed to upgrade the video drivers. Well a windoze like experience that was. It did absolutely nothing for 5 minutes, so i tried to cancel it, still nothing, then eventually a program not responding window popped up with a "force to quit button"

Nothing stopped this seemingly failed instal, though eventually the window popped up again and it was 88% the was through the download :roll:

Ubuntu and Windoze have lots in common it seems :lol:

SSooooo....... the main reason for this post... what winplan replacement runs best on Linux, Ubuntu Linux to be precise. I see in the download section versions for debian, fedora and mandrake, and some say they are for phost only.

Any pointers would be appreciated, in the meantime i will attempt to learn how to instal some games i got from getdeb.net. One called Vegastrike looks good...

"Vega Strike is an Open Source 3D Action-Space-Sim that lets you trade, fight, and explore in a vast universe"

Cheers
Sixnux :shock:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:14 am

Ubuntu is based on Debian and as such any Debian install is the best.

You can also use JVC on Linux using a JVM if you like.

Six_Of_One

Post#3 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:53 am

Thanks 8)
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Return to “Ask Cherek”