XP service pack 3

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

XP service pack 3

Post#1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Anyone know a site i can download it from, so far 3 times it has tried to download and instal from MS and each time it failed to instal properly. Worked fine on the wifes pc.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Re: XP service pack 3

Post#2 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:Anyone know a site i can download it from, so far 3 times it has tried to download and instal from MS and each time it failed to instal properly. Worked fine on the wifes pc.
Yeah.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
Regards,
][avok

Six_Of_One

Post#3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Thankyou sir.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Six_Of_One

Post#4 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:42 am

Btw, it still had the same problem, tells me the instal was interupted or some such thing and then uninstalls itself ffs :roll:

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Gavan

Post#5 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:27 am

I assume this is the link you are using

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Six_Of_One

Post#6 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 am

no, i downloaded the service pack after several failed instal attempts from MS update site

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cherek

Post#7 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 pm

What error code is it giving you?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Six_Of_One

Post#8 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:19 pm

none, when it reboots after instal it simply says setup was interupted and it will go back to previous config, or words to that effect.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 am

Do you have a custom image of XP installed on that PC? If so, you may need a specific SP3 download from the PC manufacturer/image creator.
Last edited by Havok on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
][avok

Six_Of_One

Post#10 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:56 am

Thanx for the suggestions but i think my Xp is not playing with a full deck of cards :lol:

I built the pc,
Gigabyte quad royal mobo,
2 gig ram
P4 Dual core 3.4 gig
nVidia 7600gt 512
1x 120 gig sata hdd
1x 500 gig sata hdd

And even tho the board has 8 channel audio i still run my 5-6 year old SB Platinum card as its so much easier to use with the cambridge surround sound system... yeah yeah, ok i'm lazy :roll:

XP home is an original bought from my pc supplier cd. I had XP Pro, (also a bought from the supplier cd) but it didnt seem to handle my games as well for some strange reason, and that was also on the previous pc (an AMD system).

Anyways, once i back up all my data or simply put in the 640 gig sata as the main drive, i will reload xp pro and Ubuntu. This time xp pro so i can use MS virtual pc to play with win7 or load 98se for some retro gaming.

I cant seem to justify a pc upgrade as it does everything i need it to, and has for a few years. The good lady wife has a core 2 duo system, and i may go down a similiar path one day if anything fails on this one.

One question tho Havok, Ubuntu obviously has no problems with NTFS file systems, but is it better on a linux partition for performance and security reasons. I guess you will tell me is actually creates a linux section when it installs, as XP can find ubuntu anywhere :lol:

Still learning, very rusty 8)

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:37 am

Yes, run it on a the Linux partition. Basically let it do what it wants when it asks about the drive. You just tell it the amount of space to partition for itself.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Technology & Games”