Windows 7

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#46 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:09 am

I just have to check it out, it does sound promising, if it works the way in should..
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Wintermute

Post#47 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:15 am

Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:If WinPlan works with the XP mode, I'l be ordering another 4 Gb of RAM.
I wouldn't get to carried away until Win7 is actually released in Oct.
Ehh RAM is cheap these days. Though, it wouldn't suprise me to have MS remove the option due to support issues.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#48 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:24 am

I think the 64bit version of Ultimate will recognize up to 128gb of RAM.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#49 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:32 am

Wintermute wrote:
Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:If WinPlan works with the XP mode, I'l be ordering another 4 Gb of RAM.
I wouldn't get to carried away until Win7 is actually released in Oct.
Ehh RAM is cheap these days. Though, it wouldn't suprise me to have MS remove the option due to support issues.
As of this morning write up it is still there and was working, you're right, it may work for a while.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Ins and Outs of Downloading Windows 7 RC1

Post#50 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:40 pm

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Get_Your_Co ... dows_7_RC1

There's a note in the article I want to bring to everyones attention.

Virtual "XP Mode" which will allow you to seamlessly run Windows XP applications in a virtual environment, right alongside your newer Windows 7 applications. Although XP Mode is available with the release candidate, it will be a separate download. It will also be a separate download for Windows 7 Ultimate and Professional users when the final versions ship.

I've no idea where to get this XP Mode software for RC1 so keep your eyes open guys.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#51 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:14 pm

The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#52 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Hmm just a name change... Swift one there MS...

Thanks Cherek.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#53 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Another important step..

How to confirm your PC can run Windows XP Mode

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... -bios.aspx
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

So far so good

Post#54 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Ok, posting this right now from Win7 64bit. I'm up and running with minimal issues...

Still have to add XP Mode, probably won't get that done until tomorrow. But it's looking good and it's very "snappy" in it's responses. I'm impressed.

More later

][

Cherek

Re: So far so good

Post#55 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Havok wrote:Ok, posting this right now from Win7 64bit. I'm up and running with minimal issues...

Still have to add XP Mode, probably won't get that done until tomorrow. But it's looking good and it's very "snappy" in it's responses. I'm impressed.

More later

][
It's a piece of cake.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#56 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:39 pm

My issues on this end mostly dealt with downloading it to the VGAP server from work, then I had to transfer if once I got home and finally after that burn the ISO to a CD.

It wouldn't file copy for some reason between the PC's, so I ended up putting the ISO on a thumb drive... moving it over. (getting interrupted 15 times) and finally got it to install. I thought the hardware detection was a little slow, but it's worked flawlessly once it was setup. It's very fast etc.

So far I've installed Firefox, Trillian, AVG Free and Skype. Just finished an 1.5 hour chat with a friend in Philly and everything is working smoothly.

Will do the XP mode tomorrow.

Latz
][

Wintermute

Pre Order Win7 at 50% off

Post#57 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:18 pm

For those looking to upgrade to Win7 when it comes out, MS is offering 50% off of Home Premium and Professional upgrade versions if you pre-order before July 11 starting tomorrow. $49 for Home Premium and $99 for professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/of ... order.aspx

There's lots of complaining about no upgrade for Ultimate but Win7 Ultimate doesn't appear to offer more than BitLocker and Languages according to the chart.

Cherek

Re: Pre Order Win7 at 50% off

Post#58 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:49 pm

Wintermute wrote:For those looking to upgrade to Win7 when it comes out, MS is offering 50% off of Home Premium and Professional upgrade versions if you pre-order before July 11 starting tomorrow. $49 for Home Premium and $99 for professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/of ... order.aspx

There's lots of complaining about no upgrade for Ultimate but Win7 Ultimate doesn't appear to offer more than BitLocker and Languages according to the chart.
But the offer doesn't start until June 26th.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Wintermute

Post#59 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Sorry, I meant to put that in there but then I saw MJ was dead and .... Nah I just forgot to put it in there.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#60 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Wintermute wrote:Sorry, I meant to put that in there but then I saw MJ was dead and .... Nah I just forgot to put it in there.
Children are safe the world over. Nuff said.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Technology & Games”