Info about other players

What do you like about what's going on at Circus-Maximus.com? Or, if you're the whiny type, tell us what stinks! We may not fix it, but we'll listen...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

wasp

Info about other players

Post#1 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 am

Hi all

I would like to see a direct link to the level of the player in a game. Otherwise i don't know if i'm playing with newbies or veterans....

ricardo

B A N E

Post#2 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 am

Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:11 am

Just for discussion, is it always a good thing to play differently against newbies vs vets?

On the one hand, we don't want to scare new players away, but the vetran player on my right won't reward me for failing to take advantage of the player on my left, regardless of their level.

Besides, when someone signs up on CM - who knows how long they were playing else?

I know as a Klingon, playing with a standard shiplist, I need every advantage I can take. I'm not sure it's my responsibility to set myself up for an early exit so the newer player on my border has a positive experience. I'm also not sure what he will learn that way.

Like I said, just for discussion.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Raven2

Post#4 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm

If you fail to crush the weak player to your left, you can rest assured that the player to HIS left won't make the same mistake!
>>> Raven <<<

Vodenkugels

Post#5 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:55 pm

On a tangent-- I wonder the profile of the 'typical ' player? Military/ ex military? star trek geek? old board game enthusiast? ?????????????????????????????????????
Personally-- not military--not a star trek fiend--love strategy war games-old avalon hill stuff...anyone ever done a player profile of any sort?
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Hawkeye

Post#6 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Vodenkugels wrote:On a tangent-- I wonder the profile of the 'typical ' player? Military/ ex military? star trek geek? old board game enthusiast? ?????????????????????????????????????
Personally-- not military--not a star trek fiend--love strategy war games-old avalon hill stuff...anyone ever done a player profile of any sort?
Check this thread viewtopic.php?t=2680

Cardno

Post#7 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Just for discussion, is it always a good thing to play differently against newbies vs vets?

On the one hand, we don't want to scare new players away, but the vetran player on my right won't reward me for failing to take advantage of the player on my left, regardless of their level.

Besides, when someone signs up on CM - who knows how long they were playing else?

I know as a Klingon, playing with a standard shiplist, I need every advantage I can take. I'm not sure it's my responsibility to set myself up for an early exit so the newer player on my border has a positive experience. I'm also not sure what he will learn that way.

i always treat you like a newbie Gil. :wink:

Like I said, just for discussion.

AngryJohnny

Post#8 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't think we should treat newbies any differently in terms of game play. However, there is no harm in doing what ever you can to help that new player along (if they're indeed new to the game & not just the site). Sharing tips & tricks, information resources, etc. For me that was what kept me in the game when I started way back when. I got creamed on a really regular basis, (I still do, but it used to be much worse) but I had some veteran players help me along and share some tricks of the trade and that's what kept me from being completely discouraged - knowing that there was a way to improve and overcome nasty traps.

@Vodenkugels: I'm not ex-military. I am a fan of Star Trek & Star Wars, (I wouldn't say enthusiast, just fan) I used to play TW2001 & VGAP on a local BBS & I love strategy games.

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

wasp

Post#9 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:53 pm

Help is allways welcome. But time and RL is tough on VGAP.

Instead of a direct link to the player, maybe a database with all the games played and scores and history??? Even if they change alias....

ricardo

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:29 am

wasp wrote:Help is allways welcome. But time and RL is tough on VGAP.

Instead of a direct link to the player, maybe a database with all the games played and scores and history??? Even if they change alias....

ricardo
I'm afraid that won't be happening on my watch. :)
Regards,
][avok

Aleortu

Re: Info about other players

Post#11 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Everyone of us has been a newbie sometime. We have all learned there is no way to play this game without an allied.
So, that's what the newbie has to do, ask for help the first (and even the second too) neighbor he finds and if the veteran helps (regular emails with hints, strategy together and so) the newbie will learn a lot.

Not long ago I was playing Colonies and allied with a veteran Feds; since I already had experience I learned a lot because of the particular combinations of these races (and you have 11 X 10 = 110 possible combinations of races). Use of friendly codes to transfer fighter from Colonial to Fed, power of my ships in his hands, super-refit economy, etc. And he told me a lot of strategy, my way of play has changed since this game.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Info about other players

Post#12 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:59 pm

You don't necessarily need an ally. However in the past I have setup newbie games. New players are further and farther between than they used to be though.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Comments About Circus-Maximus.com”