This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

PaladinCyborg

Post#1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 am

Avatar is awesome. See it in 3D.
Duis digrissim ipsum in rana unicornis!

Akalabeth

Post#2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 am

I saw it in 3D

I thought it was a three hour movie that bordered on boring.

To sum it up it was "okay"

FLETCH

Post#3 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:00 am

To each his own but I have to agree with PC. I thought it was great. Cameron's attention to detail blew me away. The wildlife was very well done and the 3D just added to the impact of the movie so much more (height and depth perception) then just a 2D would.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

hennef

Post#4 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Great movie!

Well rounded chars, brilliant effects, very good choreographics.... "normal" story ;)
have fun!

hennef

Klauser

Post#5 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:28 pm

I thought it was a good movie, with parts bordering on outstanding. And yes I saw it in 3D.

* * * SPOILERS BELOW IN "INVISO-TEXT" * * *

For what it's worth here's my take:

SFX/CGI - A+. I'll get this out up front. I think Cameron whatever he was after from a CGI standpoint - he nailed it and then some. Phenominal doesn't even come close. I'm a sci-fi movie fan and I have never seen a movie that convices me more that I'm in an alien environment. Even beyond that, I totally bought into the alien characters being alien - but with each having their own charactistics. Brilliant, and I think the Oscar for Best Special Effects has just been locked.

Plot - C. Here's the part I had some problems with. I think the central concept - corporate greed over a rare-mineral-with-magic-powers, found concentrated where the alien tribe had their home "tree" was stereotypical and contrived. My wife made a comment after the movie that nailed it - the central theme was very similar to "Ferngully". Not that Ferngully was bad - it's just that it's a good children's tale. The plot resembled nothing more than Ferngully on some serious steriods.

Pacing - A. A long movie, but like the Lord of the Rings movies, paced well enough that only your bladder cares that you're running longer than normal.

Acting - B. Good solid acting, some of the roles were again, somewhat stereotypical, but solidly performed.

Despite it's flaws, I was entertained and immersed in the movie. I think it's the best science-fiction movie done this year - and probably the best done in recent years.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

lord vinny

Post#6 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:47 pm

"caution spoiler in invisio-text" :lol: come-on u know if u wirte something like that ppl are gonna have to read it!

im gonna check it out next weekend in a Imax 3-d theater..hoping for a good show :D
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Wintermute

Post#7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm

This movie made me feel ashamed to be a part of the imperial corporate capitalistic military complex. As previously mentioned, Ferngully but now the military plays a part. It is funny that a movie with such an obvious anti-corporation message would advertise on the sides of aluminum cans for Coke Zero.

As a movie, I was mildly entertained and found myself wondering why we still don’t have mechs in the military. The CGI and colors were pretty much just eye candy. I think the film could have easily been cut to 2 hours.

Bottom line, I probably won’t be buying the DVD of this one (or blu-ray 3d).

PaladinCyborg

Post#8 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I've seen it again in 3D. Still awsome.

BTW, our military attempted to use mech suits in the 1960s - for moving cargo. There were too many accidents, so we went back to fork trucks and cranes. People forgot. They reappeared in the movie "Aliens". Because this was forgotten technology, people thought they were looking at something new.

Akalabeth

Post#9 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 am

PaladinCyborg wrote:I've seen it again in 3D. Still awsome.

BTW, our military attempted to use mech suits in the 1960s - for moving cargo. There were too many accidents, so we went back to fork trucks and cranes. People forgot. They reappeared in the movie "Aliens". Because this was forgotten technology, people thought they were looking at something new.
reference?

PaladinCyborg

Post#10 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm trying to run down a good refernce now - especially on the later 1960s models. Our first powered exoskeleton was built by General Electric in 1965. That one was called Hardiman, but it's not the one I was thinking of earlier.

Shardin5

Post#11 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 am

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Akalabeth

Post#12 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:22 am

Ah so they tried and failed. That makes more sense.

Hawkeye

Post#13 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:18 am

Have just come back from the 2D version - you'd be a tough man to please if you didnt enjoy this movie. Weta Workshops did an impressive job on the graphical effects that's for sure. Plotline was somewhat predictable with no real twists, but overall not bad at all 8)

Shardin5

Post#14 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Have just come back from the 2D version - you'd be a tough man to please if you didnt enjoy this movie. Weta Workshops did an impressive job on the graphical effects that's for sure. Plotline was somewhat predictable with no real twists, but overall not bad at all 8)
Damn good movie. Sometimes the plot can be predictable, its the flow thats more important. I like to be entertained for my money sometimes, more than looking for all the twists in a movie.

Last twist in a movie I didn't see coming was the Star Trek movie. Kept thinking they are running out of time to fix history line. BEST damn twist EVER for Star Trek.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

akshamu

Post#15 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

FLETCH wrote:To each his own but I have to agree with PC. I thought it was great. Cameron's attention to detail blew me away. The wildlife was very well done and the 3D just added to the impact of the movie so much more (height and depth perception) then just a 2D would.

Did the 3D version require glasses? What kind?
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”