Google Going Ga Ga

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Google Going Ga Ga

Post#1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:30 am

Hello to all you techies out there.

I realise you all probably come here to escape the endless mundane questions thrown at you either as part of your jobs or just because you are intellectual power houses.

Well I have another said mundane question that hopefully one or more of you may be able to help me with, just out of the goodness of your hearts.

Enough sucking up??? Ok here it is...

I have some sort of trojan or worm or something that is screwing up my search engine... namely Google.
I can search any topic I like but when I click on a link I get sent to random sites that may or may not have anything to do with the original search.

Anyone got any ideas how to clear this annoying weed out of my machine?
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Hawkeye

Post#2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:43 am

It looks like you've got the Google Redirect virus. Try downloading and running Hitman Pro 3.5

PsychoHawk

Post#3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Here's some great tips for keeping your system clean.

1) Never use Microsoft's Internet Explorer to browse the web. Use anything else and you'll avoid a large chunk of problems. Use Firefox (It'll use your old bookmarks!) and throw on some ad-blocking add-ons to be safe. Accidentally clicking on ads is the easiest way to end up with a virus.

2) Keep your Windows up to date with patches and security fixes.

3) Use a good spyware/malware/adware blocker and remover. Spybot Search and Destroy , or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are two excellent freebies. Check your system once a week minimum.

4) Use a good anti-virus program. Windows Defender is supposed to be great but I use AVAST! (it's free!) and it kicks ass just fine. Check your system once a week to be safe.

5) Use Dogpile or some other meta-search site: it'll run your search through 3-4 different search engines at once with the same accuracy as the hosting search engines.

6) Be aware that some viruses can spread via Thumb/Jump/Mini/USB drives. Just like sex, if you don't know where it's been, you might want to think twice about plugging into it.

I hope this helps, just try not to send in any bad turns!

FLETCH

Post#4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks for the tips guys.

I will install Hitman Pro 3.5 and see how that goes.

FYI I used to use Opera as my browser but some time ago I switched to Firefox. Don't care for EI.

I have been using CCleaner to keep things tidy and Spyware Terminator to keep an eye on some undesirables. More recently I installed Spyware Doctor as well.

I have been using NOD32 as my anti-virus for some time and up until this little hicup I have had no problem.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Logain

Post#5 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Shoulda boughta Mac :D

Six_Of_One

Post#6 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Or, convert to Ubuntu Linux and run windoze in a virtual box or use wine to run win apps.
No anti virus, no malware/spyware etc etc required.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

the.Ant

Post#7 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:15 pm

I don't know Hitman Pro, but other good programs to try are
"Spybot Search and Destroy" and "Hijack This".

If all this fails, try a bootable anti-virus CD with which you can scan your system without the need to boot it.
there are several of those around, just to name some options:

http://www.techmixer.com/avira-antivir- ... d-malware/

http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

http://www.techmixer.com/free-f-secure- ... d-malware/

good luck!

BTW, six is absolutely right, I'm running Ubuntu already a few years now and it works like a charm.

Return to “Technology & Games”