H Config Starter Ships

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Krait

H Config Starter Ships

Post#1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

I don't remember, does HConfig allow the default tech setting for the given ships in a game?

I don't know about everyone else, but the reduced engine tech for those bonus ships is more pain in the ass than a starter bonus. I know you can recycle or colonize them if you don't like it, but I suspect most of us just bear it and make do.
been there, done that...

B A N E

Post#2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm

The starter ships are determined by one setting in master.exe,.

"Free ships Y/N"

Engine & Weapon tech is unchangeable.

Due to the inequity of the ships received, I prefer no free ships.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Zeus

Post#3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:22 pm

There exists some mastering tools which allow it to set the ships you want as starting ships

It's anyway better to use another mastering program as the original if you want to make fair games.

PsychoHawk

Post#4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 pm

The ships aren't really intended to be anything special, just a nice little bonus to help the game get moving. If you've ever read the background text for VGA Planets, you'd know that these two ships are the last of your Mega Fleet and were supposed to be the only ships space-worthy after your long exodus.

The worst race for starting ships is the Empire (Worthless Gunboat, needs a probe to start) probably followed closely by the Privateers(Outrider class scout, WOOHOO!), but since the Pirates can churn out MBRs quickly, it isn't a big disadvantage. The Rebels and Colonies of Man should tie for 3rd worst starting ships, as Taurus scouts are very silly ships but have some use still. Every other race's starting ship can be used decently via their race abilities.

I do think that the Small Deep Space Freighter is a waste of a ship and really needs at least 100 cargo room to even approach usefulness.

I look at it like this, the two free ships aren't the greatest but it's better than starting out via Wandering Tribes...

Return to “Ask Cherek”