Civilization V

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Civilization V

Post#1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Anyone else playing Civ5 yet?

If you're up to a challenge you can find me on Steam as "][avok"
Regards,
][avok

Akalabeth

Post#2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't think my computer can hack it, or starcraft for that matter. But I'd like to check it out. Looks better than Civ IV. I played the demo for civ iv and the combat turned me right off.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#3 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Akalabeth wrote:I don't think my computer can hack it, or starcraft for that matter. But I'd like to check it out. Looks better than Civ IV. I played the demo for civ iv and the combat turned me right off.
Mine's having a tough time... The game is buggy. In fact it's the buggiest game I've even seen produced from Firaxis... I've had to drop the graphics down from Direct-X 10/11 to DX9. The game is slow, and in later stages of the game it's almost unbearable. I've also experienced several freezes and many more crashes... Plus they force you to join Steam which I never wanted to do. IMOP they released it to early. They should have held off another month. They still could have put it on the shelves in time for Xmas.
Regards,
][avok

SunTzuX

Post#4 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:22 pm

I was thnkng of buying it, I've owned every version since the original DOS. I just built q new computer so I'm not worried about the speed but I'm seeing so many mixed reviews.

All the game sites love it obviously, they would never dare speak against Sid or Firaxis. I guess that's a good thing in a way considering there are fewer developers taking a risk on PC games today.

Still reviews on forums an communities like civfanatics seem pretty mixed. I saw that they removed religions and alot of cultural aspects. A friend said it plays alot like Civnet and another said it's like Civ2...

Having played it awhile now what's your take on it? have you tried multi yet? Did they include a simultaneous turn function?

Assuming I get the ok from the wife I'll probably grab it this weekend. Problem is she knows that she will lose me for awhile following.. "another civ, great this is gonna be just like the last one and Starcraft and that Europa universalis game". I said well on the bright side it'll be q great time to catch up on your reading in peace. ;)

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:35 pm

SunTzuX wrote:I was thnkng of buying it, I've owned every version since the original DOS. I just built q new computer so I'm not worried about the speed but I'm seeing so many mixed reviews.

All the game sites love it obviously, they would never dare speak against Sid or Firaxis. I guess that's a good thing in a way considering there are fewer developers taking a risk on PC games today.

Still reviews on forums an communities like civfanatics seem pretty mixed. I saw that they removed religions and alot of cultural aspects. A friend said it plays alot like Civnet and another said it's like Civ2...

Having played it awhile now what's your take on it? have you tried multi yet? Did they include a simultaneous turn function?

Assuming I get the ok from the wife I'll probably grab it this weekend. Problem is she knows that she will lose me for awhile following.. "another civ, great this is gonna be just like the last one and Starcraft and that Europa universalis game". I said well on the bright side it'll be q great time to catch up on your reading in peace. ;)

There's a lot of stuff in the game that gives me a feeling of "it wasn't broken why fix it". They made some very strange changes to the Civ game and it's not the kind upgrade that Civ 3&4 were to Civ 2. (4 IMOP was a more polished 3). Civ 5 places WAY to much emphasis on City States. The AI really seems about the same.

The Steam forums are over flowing with people's technical complaints. For example I'm stuck in a game now with a city I'm trying to take over. Every time I do, and no matter the unit (Modern Armor, Mech Inf, etc.) the game crashes as soon as I win the skirmish. Kinda ticked about that as I'm at the point of the game where I've really turned it around. Seems a lot of people are having this same problem.
Regards,
][avok

JonnyDoH

Post#6 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:19 am

Cons:

The graphics are pretty intensive, even for minimum requirements. I've taken to playing the game in "minimalist" mode (hit F10 if you have it). Even so, this mode works just as well and I've found that I'm itching for "one more turn" with the flat graphics that could have been from a version a decade ago.

There does seem to be some graphical glitches, but as long as I play in F10 mode, I don't seem to have any of those problems.

No more massive armies. Well, maybe not-- I have yet to explore the Autocracy Civics. The last time I went to war in Civ 5, I could only field about one army per City without going into negative gold reserves. If you go to war, you either need a large war chest or your economy *must* be churning.

Some of the Ethnic races kind of have a bad advantage, in my opinion.

Montezuma, for example, have Jaguar Warriors to replace the starting warrior. Without a burgeoning economy and more than two cities, however, you're only ever going to be able to field 2-3 of them.

You get spearmen and archers if you research the appropriate techs quicky enough and, with Cities now being able to defend themselves, the Jaguar Warriors seem to have a raw deal. It's like the Aztecs were destined for failure.

...I don't think enough balancing went into the cultures.

Pros:
Yeah, they removed religions, but I'm kinda happy about that-- Too often I played Civ 4 at an advanced level and the computers would beat me (often by one turn!) to a religion I was researching. Instead, now culture is a point value that is saved to buy various civics that enhance your civilization in one way or another.

You can basically customize the way you want your civilization to flourish on the outset of the game. Of course, this may make things difficult if you want to switch policies later.

Armies block movement now. Only one army unit and special unit (like worker, settler, air or great people). This worked to my advantage-- even though I had an open borders agreement with Washington, for example, I could block his settlers from trying to move through my territory and try to settle beyond me. Plus, you can do that whole "300" thing.

Cities can defend themselves. This makes up for the mostly "one army per city" rule. While not as effective as garrisoning a unit in a city, you don't necessarily need an army protecting a city all the time.

Conclusions:
On the whole, I like the game. I wish I had a better computer to run it though. The graphics are one of the draws of the game and, without that, it loses a lot.

There's a lot of strategy to be had for the game play itself though, so that's a good note.

As was mentioned, a lot of emphasis was placed on City States. I kinda like that-- you have something to do to build toward (you can, for example, liberate City states from other empires that have conquered them) and build allies when the rest of the world is against you.

In any case, I'd give the game around an 8.5. It's good, but other Civ games can easily surpass it.

Rimstalker

Post#7 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 am

I was sceptical about Steam as well, but then a Diablo Clone (Torchlight, made by the guys that designed Diablo) was only to be had via Steam and I gave it a shot.

It does not misbehave, and can be turned off easily.

Civ 5 I won't touch until I hear from a trustworthy source that the bugs have been fixed and that it's super stable. Had my share of grief from games like Heroes of Might and Magic V.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Klauser

Post#8 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:54 am

I'm with Rimstalker.

I've owned Civ -> Civ4, including their predictable/inevitable add-on packs. I learned after Civ3 to wait until the first expansion hits, that's when they usually get most of the bugs and gameplay issues ironed out.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Return to “Technology & Games”