High Command back online again

Why not lay off the home team for a second and spend some time discussing the good and the bad that you've seen at other VGA Planets sites on the web?

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

High Command

High Command back online again

Post#1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 am

Qapla!

High Command is online again ....I believe I never did post it anywhere.

Well, here it is! System is running error free for more than a year now.

Thanks to ][avok and the other hosts for being around all these years.
Keep the spirit alive!

Matthias, running "High Command"

www.high-command.net

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:01 pm

I posted it when you came back online. It's just cycled off the homepage at this point. It's also been on the Link's page here and at Donovan's for quite some time.
Regards,
][avok

High Command

Post#3 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:54 am

Hello,

ups, you're right...sorry.

So you can delete the message if you want to.

Regards, Matthias

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 am

No worries... The more hosts the better. :)
Regards,
][avok

wasp

Post#5 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Actually, you should all agree on some ranking system. If i start playing there now, i'll be a recruit... not good :D
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Cardno

Post#6 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:44 pm

wasp wrote:Actually, you should all agree on some ranking system. If i start playing there now, i'll be a recruit... not good :D
Its the same as when you join the French Foreign Legion - everyone starts at the bottom

High Command

Post#7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:34 am

Cardno wrote:
wasp wrote:Actually, you should all agree on some ranking system. If i start playing there now, i'll be a recruit... not good :D
Its the same as when you join the French Foreign Legion - everyone starts at the bottom
I remember being part of the RCC Ladder...a good system, but submitting the results took much more time than hosting the game :wink:
I think, better is to compare the players at a specific host (at least, I would hate to see my ranking becoming less important...it took ages to get all these images :D )
I believe my ranking system to be quite fair, as I consider not only the scores. Your way from raw meat to Filet Mignon should not be too hard :wink:

wasp

Post#8 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 am

High Command wrote:
Cardno wrote:
I remember being part of the RCC Ladder...a good system, but submitting the results took much more time than hosting the game :wink:
I think, better is to compare the players at a specific host (at least, I would hate to see my ranking becoming less important...it took ages to get all these images :D )
I believe my ranking system to be quite fair, as I consider not only the scores. Your way from raw meat to Filet Mignon should not be too hard :wink:
Is RCC Lader still active? Maybe the hosts can agree on something???

The system has to be simple to send in the results. Just a txt file and a way to post it on a website...

Streu can be a good candidate for the programming. Look at all the code he has allready made :twisted:

The admin of http://www.thestarbase.net/ is also a good candidate. He has put a beta site with lots of tables. http://www.thestarbase.net/theStarbase/mainIndex.php

Something like the average of the points on several sites could be used....
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

High Command

Post#9 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 am

Hello,

RCCL is still online, but not active:

http://www.home.aone.net.au/~neilgrigg/ladder.html

Last submitted results are from end of 2005 and I don't believe THIS system will come back again. As I said before: much to much work.

If using a general ranking system, it would be necessary to make sure all submitted results are based on equal processes. You can't compare the ranking system of Starbase with Circus Maximus or High Command. As different would be the submitted points.
This means, beside my own ranking system I maybe would have to support a second, "official" one. Only possible, if the very most of it could be done by routines.

In general, I don't see this coming. RCCL has failed at a time, when much more players and hosts were active.

Qapla!

wasp

Post#10 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:45 am

Do we really need a rank system that must have a common base for the points? I mean, In soccer a win is worth 3 points, a draw is worth 1 point and a defeat is worth 0 points.

So, the first place is worth 3 points, the second place is worth 2 points and the 3rd place is worth 1 point... what about the other 8 races? Maybe the first position is worth 11 points , the second 10 points and so on.

Or like F1 championship. The first gets...25 points? the second 18 points? the third 15 points , etc... non linear.

The fulcral point is Do we need such a accurate rank system or does a simple one is sufficient? Maybe we could start with a simple one, and then add modifiers, according with the add-ons or even the quality of the players. Experience in phost does that. More points earned if a ship fights a better ship.

On the other hand, that means nothing if we don't fight them or if we don't use add-ons.
For instance, in any game there are times when one race doesn't even see another race because they are too far away, so even if one is the best player, the other one will get points because he's one the same game as the best one, but he didn't even saw a ship.
And if we add a modifier for add-ons and we don't use them.. then it shouldn't count..

This is why i'm sugesting 11 points for the 1st player, 10 for the second, etc.... a simple system. Maybe with time we can add a more complex one.

High Command

Post#11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 am

Qapla!

You're right, this could be a way. It's very easy to handle and the results could be sent to the administrator of the ranks within a few minutes after games end.
Every host could still do its own ranking system, but the global system would not depend on that. I have not thought yet about all pros and cons, but it looks like a way we could follow.

][avok, what you think about it?

Aleortu

Re: High Command back online again

Post#12 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:53 am

Just to let you know, High Command is still running. =D>

In fact it is the only other host I know, only this and Circus-Maximus are alive. :cry:
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Return to “Comments About Other VGA Planets Sites”