Interesting comparison

This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Havok
Site Admin

Interesting comparison

Post#1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Stumbled across this a few minutes ago.

This is a size comparison between to the two Death Stars... from Episodes 4 & 6. I always knew the 2nd one was bigger, but never how much. Nicely done.

Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#2 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 pm

WOW! That thing is a little bit on the big side.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:49 pm

...that's no moon.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#4 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Hmmm, I wonder how many torpedoes I will need to capture it?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#5 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 pm

No torpedoes... just 3 Lady Royals and one MBR!
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#6 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:13 pm

WEBs are more fun because sometimes, other ships will come and try to rescue it. :P
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#7 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Cherek!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Cherek!
Yes
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cardno

Re: Interesting comparison

Post#9 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 am

Havok wrote:Stumbled across this a few minutes ago.

This is a size comparison between to the two Death Stars... from Episodes 4 & 6. I always knew the 2nd one was bigger, but never how much. Nicely done.

you are a SUPER Nerd.....

JonnyDoH

Post#10 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Very cool. I wonder how much more mass it would take to build the DS2. I mean, if it took say, the material components the mass of the moon to build the first one, how many other worlds did they need to strip mine in order to get that second one going? Or did they just use a merlin...?

Cardno

Post#11 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:Very cool. I wonder how much more mass it would take to build the DS2. I mean, if it took say, the material components the mass of the moon to build the first one, how many other worlds did they need to strip mine in order to get that second one going? Or did they just use a merlin...?
I think its pretty obvious that the DS1 and DS2 are simply tardus's that are operating in reverse....

JonnyDoH

Post#12 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Cardno wrote: I think its pretty obvious that the DS1 and DS2 are simply tardus's that are operating in reverse....
Isn't it "Tardis"? On another note, I wonder what stats they would have in the Echo Cluster...

Meh, anyway... In some ways I was referring to Larry Niven's Ringworld-- his hypothesis was an alien race of sufficient technological savvy could take a planetary body (say, Jupiter) and use its mass to create something awesome (The Ringworld). If we go by the same comparison, then the Death Star would take the mass of x, while the Death Star II would take the mass of y.

Curiously enough, I'm an artist. I don't know why these things occur to me.

Cardno

Post#13 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Yes of course, you are right, it is 'Tardis'.

Omnius got it right - why go to the trouble of spending an entire Galaxy's annual income on a huge rock when you can can simply infect weak humans with a retrovirus. So much cheaper and quicker....and with a death rate of almost 50%, no civilisation can mount a credible defense after that taking hold.

JonnyDoH

Post#14 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:51 pm

It all comes down to what your goals are as an Evil Empire. Problem with a retrovirus is that you can infect the people you want to *rule*. Viruses can cause uncontrollable outbreaks. A Death Star can target a single troublemaker.

If, say, you're taxing Alderaan (moot point, the planet is bantha fodder) but want to also tax the hell out of Tantooine, you make an example of one to set the others straight and keep them in line. If Alderaan is rioting and not paying their taxes, you do a selective, surgical strike. Net result? Tantooine falls in line, and a bunch of others do too-- they don't want the hand coming around and slapping them.

If you do a retrovirus and it sweeps across Alderaan, then jumps to Tantooine, then jumps to another populated world (Never can control all the traffic going in and around the galaxy-- what with the smugglers and all), you end up killing your taxable base and ruining your entire economy (Or a segment of it, as the case may be).

If you're an evil emperor who wants to *control* the universe and keep it in line, it makes more sense to have a Death Star. If you're the evil maniacal genius that just wants to kill everyone and everything, well, the retrovirus is probably the way to go.
:wink:

Havok
Site Admin

Post#15 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:02 pm

We may as well go all out then... BTW, if you're asking where the Death Star is in the first picture, please refer to the 2nd picture.

(Cardno you can suck it!) :firedevil:

Regards,
][avok

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”