Interesting comparison

This is a forum for us Sci-Fi geeks to discuss all things Sci-Fi related. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cardno

Post#16 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:19 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:It all comes down to what your goals are as an Evil Empire. Problem with a retrovirus is that you can infect the people you want to *rule*. Viruses can cause uncontrollable outbreaks. A Death Star can target a single troublemaker.

If, say, you're taxing Alderaan (moot point, the planet is bantha fodder) but want to also tax the hell out of Tantooine, you make an example of one to set the others straight and keep them in line. If Alderaan is rioting and not paying their taxes, you do a selective, surgical strike. Net result? Tantooine falls in line, and a bunch of others do too-- they don't want the hand coming around and slapping them.

If you do a retrovirus and it sweeps across Alderaan, then jumps to Tantooine, then jumps to another populated world (Never can control all the traffic going in and around the galaxy-- what with the smugglers and all), you end up killing your taxable base and ruining your entire economy (Or a segment of it, as the case may be).

If you're an evil emperor who wants to *control* the universe and keep it in line, it makes more sense to have a Death Star. If you're the evil maniacal genius that just wants to kill everyone and everything, well, the retrovirus is probably the way to go.
:wink:
Man - where in VGA have you noticed that you can take over enemy colonists?? You always need to import your own. Exception is pirates when robbing and coercing crew to jump ship. With that in mind, the retrovirus is the best thing you could use. And I think in one of the add-on's kicking around somewhere, there is such facility.

However, with that condition noted, your points are valid. It pays to keep the populace at a 'tension' point where you can exploit and utilise them in building your economy without tipping them over into rebellion.

Perhaps better however is forced migration - you conquer an area and send a lot of the populace to another conquered area. Result, population that is less likely to revolt. Essentially, 'assimilated' into the empire. Rationale: longterm happy population is more productive than short-term oppressed one. Nebuchadnezzar was pretty good at that.

JonnyDoH

Post#17 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Man - where in VGA have you noticed that you can take over enemy colonists?? You always need to import your own. Exception is pirates when robbing and coercing crew to jump ship...
Actually, I had the Unity Add-on in mind:
NATIVE GIFTS: Natives remember who treats them badly and who regards them as full size citizens. If you overtax a planet, the news will be sent via wide broadcast to all planets with natives within the echo
cluster. The rules are simple:
i) overtaxing species A will lower the happiness of all your
species type A.
ii) taxing several species A with 0% will raise all of your
species A happiness. Taxing a participatory with 0% will
be more regarded than taxing anarchy with 0%.
iii) natives dislike being taxed higher than your people, this
will make them unhappy.
iv) if you keep your natives happy over several turns, they will
grant you "native gifts".
But that covers another aspect of the game entirely, and i concede I was being facetious and silly. :wink:

Cardno

Post#18 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:43 pm

You had the utility add-on in mind eh? yeah yeah!!

Your points re taxing natives and colonists is refractive and does not address the point I am making.

In fact, your points are only of merit in the situation where you CHOOSE not to kill an enemy's colonists for a period of time, because you want the subsequent taxing of natives on that world to continue, confident (large assumption here that you can be confident) that said taxes will not be utilised by the enemy in such a way that provides an overall more negative outcome than if you had not allowed him to do so. The supposition here is that you have a confidence level of being able to utilise those funds for yourself. This is also suggestive that not other more favourable option is available ie being able to bring in large numbers of your own colonists at a cost / neutronium expense / opportunity cost of ship utilisation that would be an overall more advantageous option.

p.s this is why I love the teleport add-on.

JonnyDoH

Post#19 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Cardno wrote:You had the utility add-on in mind eh? yeah yeah!!

Your points re taxing natives and colonists is refractive and does not address the point I am making.

In fact, your points are only of merit in the situation where you CHOOSE not to kill an enemy's colonists for a period of time, because you want the subsequent taxing of natives on that world to continue, confident (large assumption here that you can be confident) that said taxes will not be utilised by the enemy in such a way that provides an overall more negative outcome than if you had not allowed him to do so.

Not entirely. You could be fascists and pillaging the enemy planets. Or, yes, you could hope that they are taxing the natives, have a Quietus in orbit (with the Nemesis or Jupiter Add-on) or a SSD and take over the planet directly a turn later (assuming that the enemy in question is known for none of the "slash and burn" strategy).

In any case, didn't I say I was just being facetious and silly? You can take my posts with a grain of salt and treat them as... well, a joke post. No need to get so serious about things. :roll:

Cardno

Post#20 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:59 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:
Cardno wrote:You had the utility add-on in mind eh? yeah yeah!!

In fact, your points are only of merit in the situation where you CHOOSE not to kill an enemy's colonists for a period of time, because you want the subsequent taxing of natives on that world to continue, confident (large assumption here that you can be confident) that said taxes will not be utilised by the enemy in such a way that provides an overall more negative outcome than if you had not allowed him to do so.

Not entirely. You could be fascists and pillaging the enemy planets. Or, yes, you could hope that they are taxing the natives, have a Quietus in orbit (with the Nemesis or Jupiter Add-on) or a SSD and take over the planet directly a turn later (assuming that the enemy in question is known for none of the "slash and burn" strategy).

In any case, didn't I say I was just being facetious and silly? You can take my posts with a grain of salt and treat them as... well, a joke post. No need to get so serious about things. :roll:
I wasn't taking you seriously - I was dead panning it... :wink:

Return to “Sci-Fi Communicator”