Getting Started

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Rogach

Getting Started

Post#1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:07 am

Hey all!
So i'm new here and i really wanna start playing VGAP 3.5. But i have no experience what so ever and am completly lost here. I made a forum account and an Auto-Troll account. What do i do now to join a game? Are there any newbie friendly games? Can i find any tutorials?

EDIT: i forgot to mention, i also have WINPLAN installed already

cheers, Rogach

P.S.: i was looking for a thread like this and i couldn't have find it, if there is one i'm sorry

Hawkeye

Post#2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:21 am

Welcome Rogach :welcome:

There arent any games currently in the "joining" phase, but new games aren't too far away. If you like you could ask Havok to make the EE available in NF83, as currently its being run by SpaceLord. Or you could also look through the games list for open races that other players have abandoned.. :?

To join a game, click on the game itself, and then look for the Join Game hyperlink on the page. fill in the details and you'll then get an email to confirm you've been successful, plus another email with your first RST file and any accompanying game files like the map for example

A "No Frills" game would be the best one to go for as its the least complicated, and avoid playing the borg / crystals / privateers if you're a newbie to the game. The Robots / Colonies / Rebels / Empire make good first choices to learn the game
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cardno

Post#3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Rogach

You need to join a game which is accepting players. Currently there are none, but an advisement has come out recently from ][avok that there will be some soon.

If you haven't found it yet, here is the place on the website where you join (once there are games avaliable for joining)

http://www.circus-maximus.com/AutoTroll/games.htm

There are also tips and strategy advice located under the 'Strategy' area on the file menu on the Home Page. One article for beginners is here:

http://www.circus-maximus.com/egstrat.htm

Good luck!

Cardno

Post#4 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:24 am

Yeah what he said. :lol:

Hawkeye

Post#5 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 am

Hey Cardno, isn't it past your bedtime? :P

Cardno

Post#6 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:29 am

Hawkeye wrote:Hey Cardno, isn't it past your bedtime? :P
It's only 9:30pm over here Hawkeye - Queensland doesn't have Daylight saving - they have decided against it due to worries about how the cows will cope with the clocks being put back due to not wearing time pieces......

Hawkeye

Post#7 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 am

Cardno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Hey Cardno, isn't it past your bedtime? :P
It's only 9:30pm over here Hawkeye - Queensland doesn't have Daylight saving - they have decided against it due to worries about how the cows will cope with the clocks being put back due to not wearing time pieces......
Yup just as I thought, well past your bedtime :twisted:

Cardno

Post#8 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 am

Mate - i'm only 45, nowhere NEAR as old as Gil.....

Rogach

Post#9 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am

Thenks for the answers guys!

Ok so if i summarize:
-wait for a game to open
-choose lets say colonies
-play the game following Early Game Strategy guide
-get killed as late as possible

I have some more questions tho:
-when i make my .trn file, where do i send it to if i am in a game?
-are players taking turns simutaniusly or does each player take a turn and the next player gets RST with the actions of previous player included in?
-how long does an avrege game last?
-can i ruin other player's game with my noobines? (don't get me wrong i don't want to, i just want to be sure not to break any games)

Cardno

Post#10 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 am

Rogach wrote:Thenks for the answers guys!

Ok so if i summarize:
-wait for a game to open

-are players taking turns simutaniusly or does each player take a turn and the next player gets RST with the actions of previous player included in?
-can i ruin other player's game with my noobines? (don't get me wrong i don't want to, i just want to be sure not to break any games)
You choose what race as part of the sign up process
Reply to: host@circus-maximus.com (you receive yoru game files via this email address)
Simultaneous turns - all files must be sent in by a pre-defined time, generally 3 times a week
Average game - if you hang in there until near the end - 6 to 12 months (although some shorter games are being planned by the Host)
No you can't ruin other players games through your newness - generally you will simply get fed upon early :)
Try the lizards for a start at this game - it will help you last a bit longer usually (due to cloaking ships)

Cardno

Post#11 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 am

Right, i'm off to bed.....

Rogach

Post#12 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:49 am

Thank you and good night :D

EDIT: i also wanted to ask what's up with VGAP4 and 5?
Is v4 being played at all?

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 am

Cardno wrote:Mate - i'm only 45, nowhere NEAR as old as Gil.....
HEY! Respect your elders sonny..... 8)

Welcome Rogach! Be sure to check out all the race gudes to see what interests you and to get familiar with what your enemies will be up to. ][avok says new games are coming soon, and this forum is always a good place to ask questions. Everyone is pretty helpful here.

Good to have you aboard!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gilgamesh

Post#14 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:55 am

Rogach wrote:Thank you and good night :D

EDIT: i also wanted to ask what's up with VGAP4 and 5?
Is v4 being played at all?
As far as I know, very few people are playing VGAP4. I'm not even sure it was fully Beta tested. I tried it and found it way too complex and cumbersome.

VGAP5? I didn't hear anything about that. I thought that Tim was kinda out of the VGAP development business now.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Hawkeye

Post#15 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Rogach wrote:Thenks for the answers guys!

Ok so if i summarize:
-wait for a game to open
Yup pretty much. Be sure to read the strategy guides on this website pertaining to your race of choice, and also the general guides that relate to all races, esp economy-based guides. There's nothing like playing against a race you've played before, so get to know your enemy by having played their race in a past game. Also some races might not suit your playing style, so try out different races to see which ones you like. Many newbies go for the Evil Empire because of the Gorbie (Death Star) and Imperial Assault, but be aware that the EE is considered to be one of the weakest races, and very rarely wins games. There are some very good players on this site, so treat your first games as a learning exercise, and don't be afraid to ask questions - the better you get,the better VGAP gets.
Rogach wrote:
VGAP is a play-by-email game. Simply reply to the email that sent your results (RST) file and attach your turn (TRN) file.

Players play their turns simultaneously - quite often this is like playing rock-paper-scissors in that you have to guess what your enemy is likely to do, while he is doing the same

On average games take about 90-130 turns to establish an inevitable outcome, but they can go beyond 250 turns if the sides are fairly equally balanced.

You won't ruin someone else game due to newbieness, but you may do something they weren't expecting and take them by surprise. Don't consistently be the last to get your turn in, and don't underestimate the importance of diplomacy. Very rarely does the lone-wolf win against an alliance of seasoned players.

As for VGAP4, its exactly as Gilgamesh says - over-engineeered and just too complicated for its own good. VGAP3 is by no means perfect, but it doesnt suffer from the intricacies, complexities and paradox of options that is VGAP4.

Return to “Ask Cherek”