In general what turn do you consider building a second SB?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

akshamu

In general what turn do you consider building a second SB?

Post#1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 pm

I am curious when in most games the rest of you look at building a second or third starbase?
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Gilgamesh

Post#2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Depends on the game but if the planet is decent or can be supported from nearby planets and it's not so close that it will tempt me to divert resources from my homeworld, then...

If I'm the Fed- Humanoid

Pretty much anyone else - Ghipsodals
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

wyvern

Post#3 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 pm

When to build a second starbase is a function of your race and game circumstance. Generally, fighter races can not afford early starbases, but the lizard, fascist, fed and pirate need more bases quickly. Fighter races in general are cash poor and must almost fully tech up a base in order to build a useful ship. If building a second base early as a fighter race would deny a build of a heavy carrier either because of cash or minerals, then you are building the base too early. However, as way of example, the lizard can build a hiss ship at very low costs of minerals and cash, which can increase cash flow and therefore increases future builds.

Therefore, I generally build a second base when it will not interfere with continued important builds at my primary base. Race and game circumstances dictate the answer as to what turn. Just having a second or third base does not enhance your position unless it is functional or possibly defensive.

My theory anyway.

Akalabeth

Post#4 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:51 pm

As soon as possible/appropriate

B A N E

Post#5 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Borg are the ideal candidate for a very early 2nd base to double up
early probe building. This can make a big difference on borg power.
It's a ~$900 investment + minerals to double the assimilation rate.

All other should only do it when the 2nd base doesn't undermine the
first.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

akshamu

Post#6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:17 pm

wyvern wrote:When to build a second starbase is a function of your race and game circumstance. Generally, fighter races can not afford early starbases, but the lizard, fascist, fed and pirate need more bases quickly. Fighter races in general are cash poor and must almost fully tech up a base in order to build a useful ship. If building a second base early as a fighter race would deny a build of a heavy carrier either because of cash or minerals, then you are building the base too early. However, as way of example, the lizard can build a hiss ship at very low costs of minerals and cash, which can increase cash flow and therefore increases future builds.

Therefore, I generally build a second base when it will not interfere with continued important builds at my primary base. Race and game circumstances dictate the answer as to what turn. Just having a second or third base does not enhance your position unless it is functional or possibly defensive.

My theory anyway.
Does this assessment change when you consider the free fighters that the Empire gets each turn from its SBs?
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Raven2

Post#7 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Fed, Lizard, Empire can all benefit from an early buildup of starbases.
Fed can crank out hulls to be refitted later.
Liz can build hissers.
Empire obviously wants free fighters.
Of these, I think the Liz benefits most. Liz needs to be cranking out ships everywhere, every turn. If he can't build an LCC, he needs to build a hisser (I like the Eros for this because they can cool while they hiss). They pay HUGE dividends later.
Both Fed and Liz have to take care, though, not to invest so much in SBs that they end up defenseless. A fleet of empty Fed hulls is a sitting duck to an ambitious neighbor.
Facist and Priv are also good candidates for an early SB buildup. Their ships have low cash/min requirements, and it doesn't take much investment for a SB to start crankiing out useful ships. Facist can always build a low-tech popper if he lacks resources for anything else. Facist needs to build his entire inventory of poppers before the ship limit hits, because he's likely to be building Vickies afterward.
For these races, I would almost always build a second and third SB as soon as I have the money and mins to do so.
>>> Raven <<<

wyvern

Post#8 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 am

Yes the Empire should build new bases as soon as they have the cash and minerals available in order to get their free fighters. However, you must still keep an eye on the mineral balance to not undermine important ship construction.

wasp

Post#9 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Birdmen should build as early as possible to build swift hearts to attack early on.
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Aleortu

Re: In general what turn do you consider building a second SB?

Post#10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Like Wasp said, Bird must try to find a Gypsoldal planet asap and make it produce swifts every turn, that needs not tech upgrades, unless you want better beams.

I agree with all of you guys, but for an answer to the question, if I have not a second SB at turn 18-20 I really worry and focus my resources to build two SB asap., no matter the race I am playing.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Return to “Intel”