Confusing Darksense

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#31 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm

One of those alliances was the same guy playing two races. He was shown the door by ][avok. No other alliances fall into that category - so far...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Supernagz

Post#32 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:09 pm

It's a little surprising that a "no ally" mod doesn't go the extra distance and actually "strip" any in-game commands (FC's, orders, etc.) that are CLEARLY indisputably an action between allies.

Clear examples like gsX, miX, btX, etc.

Nothing of course will ever really do away with it if somebody really wants to bend the rules... but these steps would definately make it a little more difficult.

Thoughts?

Who can author a "No Ally Plus"?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#33 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Supernagz wrote:It's a little surprising that a "no ally" mod doesn't go the extra distance and actually "strip" any in-game commands (FC's, orders, etc.) that are CLEARLY indisputably an action between allies.

Nothing of course will ever really do away with it if somebody really wants to bend the rules... but these steps would definately make it a little more difficult.

Thoughts?

It's an old mod and doesn't even have any docs. You get those by running the command line. It does strip FFx commands. However when someone wants to be enterprising enough to operate outside of those parameters it can be done.

Someone want to write something new?
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#34 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 pm

I do believe we have some resident coders...
Warpedboard, BitMask & Albatross come to mind.

I think an enhanced fcode stripping no-ally no-coop mod would be great!

It only took 20 years for someone to state the obvious.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

akshamu

Post#35 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Havok wrote:
Supernagz wrote:It's a little surprising that a "no ally" mod doesn't go the extra distance and actually "strip" any in-game commands (FC's, orders, etc.) that are CLEARLY indisputably an action between allies.

Thoughts?

It's an old mod and doesn't even have any docs. You get those by running the command line. It does strip FFx commands. However when someone wants to be enterprising enough to operate outside of those parameters it can be done.

Someone want to write something new?
It is a shame that you have to go that far in the first place. I understand the NAP issue, but I could have sworn I saw something from you Havok early on stating the intent of this game was a free for all. Which is how I have been playing it so far as Gil can attest, but to have actuall alliances or coordination between races seems to me to be cheating whether there is a program in place to limit the chance or not.

I look at some of Fexer's and Caligula's posts on this and really have to wonder, because it seems clear to me the intent of a no ally game without any additional rules from Havok clearly does not allow the coordination discussed by those two. I do see that a NAP would clearly be a grey area since a NAP is only a promise to not do something, not a coordination of efforts which by its very nature is an alliance even if not formally made one within the game.
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

casebolt

Post#36 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I disagree with you all and that goes double for Gilgamesh and Bane. :D

Gilgamesh

Post#37 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:11 pm

So - If Fexer and Caligula won't give up on their alliance, and if another alliance is out there - what do we want to do with this game?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

akshamu

Post#38 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 pm

casebolt wrote:I disagree with you all and that goes double for Gilgamesh and Bane. :D
What are you disagreeing with? Integrity, Sanity ............... the spirit of fair play?

akshamu

Post#39 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:So - If Fexer and Caligula won't give up on their alliance, and if another alliance is out there - what do we want to do with this game?
I guess if we follow their or Casebolt, then we would e-mail each other outside the game and team up to destroy their empires as quickly as possible.

B A N E

Post#40 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:20 pm

casebolt wrote:I disagree with you all and that goes double for Gilgamesh and Bane. :D
I love you too...ever the lovable troll you are...
:lol:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

casebolt

Post#41 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Vote to end by score :D

Can Bane vote? :D

B A N E

Post#42 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm

casebolt wrote:Vote to end by score :D

Can Bane vote? :D
No, my voter ID card was terminated.

:rip1:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

casebolt

Post#43 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Whoever came up with the NAP word is a genius bullshiter, anyone know where it came from? :D

Shardin5

Post#44 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 pm

casebolt wrote:Whoever came up with the NAP word is a genius bullshiter, anyone know where it came from? :D
Take it out on Callias, from Athens, about 450BC(BCE), he pioneered one of the earliest known NAP's between Athens and Persia.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#45 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:55 am

This issue also came up in the UnNatural series games. UnNatural are also a every man for himself scenario, so the rule was then put in that a NAP is allowed until turn 20 and then it is all open season.

Return to “Messages From Old Games”