So with the first Team Game filled are...

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

BitMask
Site Admin

So with the first Team Game filled are...

Post#1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 am

Perhaps if we have an interest in a second team game then I should share my idea for a scenario I got earlier.

In short the scenario is a 3x3 teams game with a double Lurkers twist.

What is the biggest problem with Lurkers? If you can sum all the complaints, the end would be that the Lurkers can't think and are not dependable enough to Lurk :)

So my idea is to have 2 players play the extra slots. Their purpose is not to win, not to ally, but to harass. They must play the Lurkers so to speak.

The Team map will have all 3 teams positioned per team in a square or circle map with the 2 Lurker players in their own clusters very far away from the rest. There will be 3 or multiples of 3 one directional Wormholes from each Lurker cluster going to somewhere in the space of each team. The Team will not be able to scan for the wormholes while the Lurker players will be able to.

The Lurker player will either receive the 2 remaining races to play after the other teams have picked, or they will get customized Lurker races/ships. I still have to figure this one out. Cloaker races will make better Lurkers in my opinion, but they are also some of the more valuable races to pick in team games.

Oh. And this will be a PHost game naturally :D

For the Lurkers I need specific players that can easily fit into this scenario. Player that can harass in and out of the game even if the odds are against them. 'Evil Rude Bastards' types :twisted:

So with the teams filled for the first Team Game, are any of the rest of you interested in my double "Lurker" Team Twist scenario?
Or do you want to do a normal team game instead?

Left over possible interested players?:
Cardno
Rimstalker
James T Plagerism
Armendariz
Akshamu
Casebolt
Vodenkugels
PsychoHawk
Last edited by BitMask on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rimstalker

Post#2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:23 am

I think the lurkers will either directly influence who wins, or will be utterly harmless, can't see a middle ground, especially not on the first try.

having said that, I might consider playing a lurker, but not in one of the teams.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Cardno

Post#3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 am

Rimstalker wrote:I think the lurkers will either directly influence who wins, or will be utterly harmless, can't see a middle ground, especially not on the first try.

having said that, I might consider playing a lurker, but not in one of the teams.
Ditto.

Sorry Bitmask - the Lurkers option doesn't really entice me. If it's going to be a team game 3 x 3, I woudl prefer that that be the focus, rather than having variables such as human lurkers in the mix.

Donovan

Post#4 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:17 am

BitMask wrote:So my idea is to have 2 players play the extra slots. Their purpose is not to win, not to ally, but to harass. They must play the Lurkers so to speak.
Sounds very interesting, but I think it will give a lot of discussion and irritation.

Computer-lurkers are random. Human players are not random, or will at the least be considered not to be random enough.

Team A plots a scheme to take on team B, and the Lurkers just happen to attack team A at the wrong time? Lurkers will get accused of harrassing team A, helping team B or not attacking team C often enough.

Also, what would the lurkers have to do once they have a foothold in a team's homecluster? Should they keep attacking there, or should they retreat just because they would otherwise be too big an influence on the outcome of the game?

It will be very hard to balance this. You want the Lurkers to be annoying and dangerous enough not to be ignored, but also weak enough not to influence the game too much.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 am

I agree. The Lurker players should not be to strong. For that purpose I think custom ship list for them is the better option.
We might also think of imposing a rule that the Lurker players make not build planets in the main cluster (e.g. Only take planets and steal the resources)

For this to work you need a Lurker player that can do the mind shift of harassment and not winning. (Should be a good scenario for Fascist players :lol: ) You should send equal amount of ships to each team space to harass. Lurkers should not try and build a big fleet to go and attack, but frequent harassment to all sides. Perhaps it will work better with only one Lurker player allowed.

None of these restrictions are enforceable with add-ons, so we do really need a special player that understand the scenario.

Thanks for all your feedback. Any other comments / suggestions / likes / dislikes?

Cardno

Post#6 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 am

Can I ask - if they are going to harass everyone equally - what's the actual point? Just go team against team against team.

Rimstalker

Post#7 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 am

if I were to harass, any planet with natives I'd take would end up at around -70 hp.

I'm racking my brain, but I can not come up with any kind of hostile outside interference that would be beneficial for the game.

You either end up with teams turtleing hardcore, or completely useless lurkers.

One idea that just popped into my head right now to mix things up:

There is a 10th player, and he has two bases in each team's sector. Humanly controlled, with a very limited shiplist, those bases are set to unload, fc is known. As long as slots are available, the base will build stuff for you.

possible shiplist entries (since privs are out anyway):

br4
mbr, with steep costs, and no tubes
lady royale with 400 cargo

the special ability ships of the 11th race
the tech10 battleship of the 11th race

Quapla

Post#8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:51 am

If there is any need in lurkers - i can play one ;)
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#9 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:56 am

This does not need to be a team game.
We could always make this a normal game with a Lurker race, but would players in a normal game not also think only they are being attacked and no one else?

Also, I like Rimstalker idea of the bases. So if I read it correctly there will be planets with SB in each team area. This is the Lurkers base of operation and the team can decide to take it out first or take on the other team first...
Privs was also my first idea for a Lurker race. We can set them to Rob but cannot Tow Capture. That would be a nice harassment to Rob fuel and stuff :D

Rimstalker

Post#10 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:08 am

nononono. it's a friendly base that builds stuff for you if you dump minerals/cash onto it.

maybe after you take out a fleet protecting it....

James T. Plagerism

Post#11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:15 am

I have no strong preference, I'm wiling to play in a team game with or without lurker(s), and I'm happy to play either as part of a team or as a lurker.

Quapla

Post#12 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 am

Due to lack of time i would prefer to be a lurker - or at least a race without membership to any team ;))
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

Cardno

Post#13 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

BitMask wrote:This does not need to be a team game.
We could always make this a normal game with a Lurker race, but would players in a normal game not also think only they are being attacked and no one else?

Also, I like Rimstalker idea of the bases. So if I read it correctly there will be planets with SB in each team area. This is the Lurkers base of operation and the team can decide to take it out first or take on the other team first...
Privs was also my first idea for a Lurker race. We can set them to Rob but cannot Tow Capture. That would be a nice harassment to Rob fuel and stuff :D
I'm out guys - enjoy.

Return to “Game Suggestions”