VGAP (Risk Missions)

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

B A N E

VGAP (Risk Missions)

Post#1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:51 am

This is a concept I'm going to fiddle with over the summer with a
possible start date in the fall. I want to determine if this is viable
or too big a pain to mess with.

This concept was pondered after reading a post on CM's fb page.

Here's the concept:
The board game Risk had an alternate game method called missions
or secret missions. It's been so long I don't recall exactly. Players
were given secret missions that they were to try to fulfill to win the
game. This was instead of "global victory".

There would need to be a list of missions to be perhaps randomly
selected by the game host for each player. Only the player and
the host know which mission the player has. I am undecided on
the diplomatic framework for this game. There are different merits
to setting it up as a cutthroat game versus a limited or no-ally game.

So, the first batch of "missions" that I've come up with are:

Race A must exterminate Race B.
Race A must capture and hold X# number of enemy home worlds.
Race A must own X# of planets for Y# of turns.
Race A must own X# of warships above tech level Y.
Race A must destroy #### tons.
Race A must stockpile #### kt of NTDM minerals.
Race A must have $$$$ stockpiled.
Race A must have #### kt of supplies.
Race A must fire the Tantalus device against X# of races.

The secret missions should not allow a random start to enable
a ridiculously early victory. ie: Player X must own Planet Y.

Upon completion of a mission, the player would need to contact
the host to check to see if fulfilled and then game would end or not.

#1: Is there interest in this sort of game?
#2: Suggestions for missions are welcome.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Rimstalker

Post#2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

the mother of all boardgames - Twilight Imperium, 3rd Edition - has secret missions that give an additional 2 victory points. The big problem there is that the missions are quite different, and some of them are basically impossible to accomplish, and/or everyone will know what mission you have with some of them. So generally, I dislike them.

What does work however, is the public objectives that you can claim.

There is easy ones that yield one point, and more difficult ones that give 2 or even three.

So my suggestion would be to have 5 1-pointers, 5 2-pointers and 3 3-pointers publicly known, and whoever gets 12 points first wins.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

B A N E

Post#3 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Have not played Twilight Imperium, so I am unfamiliar but working
with what you have said, how would you translate it into vgap missions?
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Rimstalker

Post#4 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:04 pm

well, you already made half a list :).

You can even go the easy route

and give one point for 20 000 supplies on one planet (host gets contacted once you have it and removes them via campaign editor)

and two points for 50 000 supplies

and three points for 100 000.

Part of twilight imperium is also that you can not score inifinite points per turn. You can only fulfill one objective per round (two if you choose a specific strategy card).

Also stealing from Thomas Klebes' scenario, every player gets X score planets around their HW, you get 1/2/3 points for holding x/3//x/2//x

or 1/2/3 points for holding x/5 from 2/3/5 players. possibly 2/3/5 must be different players or planets.

another point source (that keeps the game moving) would be to sacrifice Neutronics and Merlins. 1 point for 2 neutronics and 2 merlins, 2 points for 2 of each with transwarp/heavy phaser and 3 points for 10 of any.

Homeworlds taken of course give points.

Kt lead at turnx and after that most kts sunk in the following 20 turns (NOT cumulative!) gives points, extra points if you keep first place here.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

JonnyDoH

Post#5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 pm

Of course, the public missions might be a tad more difficult in VGA planets-- In Twilight Imperium, your actions and what you're after are more or less public knowledge. If you need to claim five "red" planets, for example, all the other players know what you're angling for (or can make educated guesses at). In VGA planets, if one of the public objectives is to own, say, 5000 supplies on one world, no one can really tell.

Unless, of course, you make certain public goals with public objectives-- Perhaps you could come up with a map with only 10 100 degree temperature worlds. One of the public objectives would be to own all ten. The docs for the game would make the names of these ten planets public knowledge.

Or you could have only 10 bovinoid worlds, or only 10 worlds with a temp of 0 degrees, etc.

In any case, you would have a very mad scramble for whichever planets you deem to be the "prizes" of the game, from the beginning of the game.

Mostly, you can't have victory win conditions that favor any particular race.

I like this idea concept!
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:18 am

I think it is a nice idea, but implementing it will need to take some though (and some programming I think)
To make it a bit more transparent you could keep score (to help others counter it).
For instance you can indicate the % of a special mission completion rate as part of the score each turn.

Some other options might be:

* to build SB at certain planets inside a enemy area and keep it for X turns.
* for Lizards you could add a ground attack (and take) of X amount of planets of race B
* for Fascists you could add a Pillage of X amount of planets of race B
* for Pirates you could add a steel X freighters and Y capital ships from race B.
* for Crystals you could also add a steel X freighters and Y capital ships from race B.
* for Empire you could add a Imperial Assault of X amount of planets of race B
* for Rebel you could add a RGA of X amount of planets for Y amount of turns of race B

All these and your suggestions you can keep score of (% complete), which will help with the end conditions as well.
Manually it might be a lot of work and also hard for the opponents to accept if they cannot see a score progressing.

JonnyDoH

Post#7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:28 am

BitMask wrote:I think it is a nice idea, but implementing it will need to take some though (and some programming I think)
To make it a bit more transparent you could keep score (to help others counter it).
For instance you can indicate the % of a special mission completion rate as part of the score each turn.

* for Lizards you could add a ground attack (and take) of X amount of planets of race B
* for Pirates you could add a steel X freighters and Y capital ships from race B.
* for Crystals you could also add a steel X freighters and Y capital ships from race B.
* for Rebel you could add a RGA of X amount of planets for Y amount of turns of race B

All these and your suggestions you can keep score of (% complete), which will help with the end conditions as well.
Manually it might be a lot of work and also hard for the opponents to accept if they cannot see a score progressing.
That's an interesting thought. Actually, if you combine it with a mod like Jupiter, you could add in victory conditions for each of the special ship abilities:

* Cyborg, Planet Strip x amount of planets by race B
* Crystals, Remotely Heat up x planets to 100 degrees of Race B.
* Bird, Planet cloak X planets for y turns, simultaneously.
* Fed, Sweet Talk x ships of race B (no Cyborg versus this mission, since Cyborg are immune to Sweet Talk).
* Robot, keep x ships of race B under viral fields for y turns simultaneously.
* Colonials, Attack x Bases of Race B with Fighter base Attack.

Don't know how you would code it though...
Your go-to source for bargain basement, high quality cardboard armored war ships!

B A N E

Post#8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:50 am

Looks like I need to dig up another related thread and link it.

BM,
A programmed victory condition monitor would be great.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 am

BitMask wrote:I think it is a nice idea, but implementing it will need to take some though (and some programming I think)

I was also thinking "add-on".
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Game Suggestions”