Other Epic 4x Multiplayer Games

Excited about that hot new video game? Wanna brag about your sweet new gadget? Here's a place for you to talk about it!

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Bossman

Other Epic 4x Multiplayer Games

Post#1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:39 pm

VGA Planets is one of my first loves so far as 4X Games go. Other favorites are Master of Orion 1 & 2, Ascendancy, Pax Imperia, Imperium Galactica, arguably Sins of a Solar Empire etc.

But aside from Moo2 and Pax, not a lot of turn based 4X Games are multiplayer or "epic" in scale. I do like play my email, or at the least server based turns.

Does anyone have recommendations or experiences with other PBEM or server based 4X scifi games?

Lately I've been playing Space Empires V, which is pretty solid multiplayer PBEM, but pretty overwhelming later on with micromanagement. I also hear that earlier versions (SE 4) are better.

Have also played some server based games such as Ultracorps, which is pretty fun but it's the exact opposite in complexity. Not much there except build, fight, rinse & repeat.

I've heard that Sword in the Stars isin't bad. Supposedly similar to Homeworld but more complex under the hood... especially with the expansions I'm told. I've read that there is a sequel being released by Paradox in a few months which has peaked my interest, Paradox is good at releasing in-depth strategy games. Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron being good non-scifi examples.

Still I haven't had any first hand experience with that game. So far aside from Space Empires 5 and maybe 4, nothing really comes close to the "epic" months on end multiplayer experience.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:01 am

Sword of the Stars isn't bad, but I got bored with it. Getting the addon with the "reaver" like race was hard to get in the states as well.

There is a Sword of the Stars 2 coming out, in fact it may already be out.

http://www.swordofthestars.com/
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Technology & Games”