Your epic race battle

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Which race would be the best to play in an epic battle of the same races?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 am

Federation
7%
Lizard
7%
Birds
No votes
Klingons
53%
Pirates
7%
Borg
27%
Crystals
No votes
Evil Empire
No votes
Robots
No votes
Rebels
No votes
Colonies of Man
No votes
Total votes: 15

BitMask
Site Admin

Your epic race battle

Post#1 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:21 am

We started the Rebels go Round game a while back where 5 Rebel players is battling for to top spot http://www.circus-maximus.com/AutoTroll/game289.htm

Which race would you most like to play in a similar game where all players play the same race?
Please vote.

Gilgamesh

Re: Your epic race battle

Post#2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 am

What else?????
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#3 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:16 am

:)

DarthHavoc2

Post#4 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm not voting because I don't have time to join any more games (now that Battlefield 3 is almost here) BUT I think a 5 way Empire game would be interesting. Pretty much everyone would know exactly where the other's HW and everything else is at all times.

On the flip side, an all Bird game would cool too with all out guerrila warfare. Nobody could be completely sure where the next attack would come from and certainly no freighter would be safe with all those cloakers skulking about.

My $0.02
"Space is a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death!"
- Armin Trott

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:31 am

It is looking like the Klingons are ahead with the Borg in a strong second place at the moment.
Get your votes in. This poll ends 7 Nov.

Supernagz

Post#6 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

I really like the idea of Fascists, Birds or EE because it clearly levels the playing field for the arguably weaker races. For a similar reason I was first to vote for Borg because it levels the field for early in the game for them where they can usually get picked off easily. Basically guarantees lots of Borg get to grow up and assimilate all natives in the echo cluster!

Cannibal

Post#7 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 am

Yea, an all fascist game would play well. Sneaking around and plundering the hell out of each other. The winner would be the one hat can remain hidden the longest :)

Cannibal

excaliburca

Post#8 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:18 am

If an all Klingon battle was done, I'd like to see the Alpha Quadrant 2.0 list used. It was pretty close to how the Klingon fleet looked and felt like in Star Trek.

Gavan

Post#9 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

An AQ2 list game is something I would be interested in.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Klauser

Post#10 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Gavan wrote:An AQ2 list game is something I would be interested in.
You're dangerously close to describing the setup for the "Klingon Civil War" scenario!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Cannibal

Post#11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:02 am

Klauser wrote:
You're dangerously close to describing the setup for the "Klingon Civil War" scenario!!
Yea, I came upon the Klingon Civil War scenario today when checking out AQ2 at it's designer's site. It looks interesting. Did it ever get much play here or elsewhere? Dont see any KCW games in the C-M game index, but it was made years ago.

Gavan

Post#12 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:41 am

Klauser wrote:
It also could be fun. :)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Klauser

Post#13 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am

Gavan wrote:
Klauser wrote:
It also could be fun. :)
When we played it in late 2005(?!?!) it held up as well as I hoped and all the Klingons seemed to enjoy it. Most of the Klingon races had the AQ Klingon shiplist as a rough base with a few Klingon ships from SFB, FASA and other sources thrown in for fun. When I built it, I wasn't familiar with PHost, so I initially tried SRACE for an all-Klingon game. I decided against it since SRACE forces all players of the same race to use exactly the same shiplist. So I took the longer route and tailored - as best I could - the normal 11 races into the different Klingon Houses. That gave them each their own strengths, weaknesses - which I think is a cornerstone of VGAP.
Klauser

Cannibal

Post#14 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:15 am

Ive been playing around with it, checking out KCW. Man, that had to take an hellatious amout of time to put together, but you did a great job. It wouldnt be a plunder-fest to the point nothing gets built, and it has a each race has a different Klingon ship list (that had to be a pain inn the ass). I would have like to have seen what it would have been like using P-Host. It has so many more variety in ship characteristics. A well thought out and (nearly) cannon based scenario, with an interesting objective. Hell, I wouldnt mind seeing this given a shot for a Fascist game.

Klauser

Post#15 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 am

Cannibal wrote:Ive been playing around with it, checking out KCW. Man, that had to take an hellatious amout of time to put together, but you did a great job. It wouldnt be a plunder-fest to the point nothing gets built, and it has a each race has a different Klingon ship list (that had to be a pain inn the ass). I would have like to have seen what it would have been like using P-Host. It has so many more variety in ship characteristics. A well thought out and (nearly) cannon based scenario, with an interesting objective. Hell, I wouldnt mind seeing this given a shot for a Fascist game.
Thanks for the good words. Yeah, it was a lot of work, but it was based on a simple version I'd done years earlier. I'd intended to eventually update it and "do it right". When ][avok announced his Scenario Design Contest that year, it came together - mostly with the impetus of a deadline. Overall, I was real happy with it - and IIRC it was the first time I'd used some of the ships I had in mind for what eventually became the Alpha Quadrant shiplist.

Based on BANE's recommendation earlier this year, I've recently been playing around with PHost. I'm very impressed - and a little awed - by the amount of flexibility in PHost. You have the options to change so many parameters that it's real easy to imbalance the game.

But PHost has already given me a few ideas ...
Klauser

Return to “Game Suggestions”