Your epic race battle

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Poll: Which race would be the best to play in an epic battle of the same races?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:21 am

Federation
7%
Lizard
7%
Birds
No votes
Klingons
53%
Pirates
7%
Borg
27%
Crystals
No votes
Evil Empire
No votes
Robots
No votes
Rebels
No votes
Colonies of Man
No votes
Total votes: 15

BitMask
Site Admin

Re: Your epic race battle

Post#16 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Klauser wrote: Based on BANE's recommendation earlier this year, I've recently been playing around with PHost. I'm very impressed - and a little awed - by the amount of flexibility in PHost. You have the options to change so many parameters that it's real easy to imbalance the game.

But PHost has already given me a few ideas ...
If you need help with all the PHost settings, just let me know. I have pushed the limits of most settings with the UnNatural series and I think we have a nice playable stable scenario now.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#17 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:40 pm

At this rate is seems like the Klingons will have an easy win in this poll...

excaliburca

Post#18 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 pm

So as it looks like the Klingons have it, when are we going to see a Klingon Civil War? :)
Last edited by excaliburca on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#19 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:37 pm

Keep watching this space :D

In a mean time there is still 1 Klingon slot and a few other torp slots available in Federation War.

Klauser

Post#20 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:41 am

excaliburca wrote:So as it looks like the Klingons have it, when are we going to see a Klingon Civil War? :)
Based on discussions with Bitmask and Cannibal, I cracked open my developer notes from KCivWar and am seriously looking at modifying it for PHost. I had some unexpected luck - I located my archive folder from 2005 with the mastered game before running host - which will make the project MUCH easier.

I'm currently reviewing the data and deciding what changes I want to make to keep the original scenario flavor while still adding some shiny PHost toys for the players.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Gilgamesh

Post#21 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Speaking just for myself, if I was going in I'd actually prefer if it was as un-Phosty as possible. The more Phost games I play, the less I like it.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gavan

Post#22 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I am with Gil, less Phost is better and no Phost is best.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

excaliburca

Post#23 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 pm

So would a scenario have players using the same ship list and abilities or would you be seeing variations with different factions (or houses I would assume in this case)?

Klauser

Post#24 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Gil & Gavan,

One of the things I like most about PHost is it's default settings are to emulate THost. If I do release a PHost version of the Klingon Civil War, it will be based on the data files used to master the original - so that means it will be close to THost. In PHost terms, it will be primarily a "Compatable Configuration" as opposed to an "Incompatable Configuration".

Now that I have all the guts of the scenario spread out all over my desk, I hope to do a "patch" version of the Thost Klingon Civil War. SInce it was released in 2005, I have learned how to modify the WPVCR.DLL file for Winplan Combats - so I will be building that as well.
Klauser

Klauser

Post#25 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm

excaliburca wrote:So would a scenario have players using the same ship list and abilities or would you be seeing variations with different factions (or houses I would assume in this case)?
Definitely variations. A good example is Player 3 - The House of Duras. Like all players, they have a Klingon-centric ship build list, but they also have several Romulan ships in their shiplist, and also has the Romulan Race Abilities.
Klauser

Cannibal

Post#26 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Klauser wrote: I located my archive folder from 2005 with the mastered game before running host - which will make the project MUCH easier.

I'm currently reviewing the data and deciding what changes I want to make to keep the original scenario flavor while still adding some shiny PHost toys for the players.
Thats a good bit of luck finding that after 6 years. Im lucky to find stuff I was using last week, and only checking both computers. Hopefully it will make for a relativly easy patch to be made for P-Host.

excaliburca wrote:So would a scenario have players using the same ship list and abilities or would you be seeing variations with different factions (or houses I would assume in this case)?
It would be pointless to play if everybody had the same Fascist abilities. The ground attack advantage would cancel each other's out. And I could see a game where everybody can plunder would degenerate into a morass of stagnation where no objectives could be met. Definitly a good choice K.

Good Luck with it,
Cannibal

Klauser

Post#27 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Started work on the Klingon Civil War WPVCR.DLL file today (for Winplan Combats). Since I will be using the same shiplist for both THost and PHost versions of the scenario, this file will work for both hosting options.

Speaking of which, right now I am leaning towards doing a single update release that will have both THost and PHost versions of the scenario. The provisional name will be KCivWar 2.1.

Getting back to the point of this thread - I do have a question. How many players out there are interested in playing in a PHost version of KCivWar? The reason I ask is that a THost version could be ready to play in very short order. If there's enough interest in a PHost version, it will take some time to get it ready for play.
Klauser

Cannibal

Post#28 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:36 am

Not trying to make it more of a burden for ya. But I think P-Host would make for a better game.

Klauser wrote:Started work on the Klingon Civil War WPVCR.DLL file today (for Winplan Combats). Since I will be using the same shiplist for both THost and PHost versions of the scenario, this file will work for both hosting options.

Speaking of which, right now I am leaning towards doing a single update release that will have both THost and PHost versions of the scenario. The provisional name will be KCivWar 2.1.

Getting back to the point of this thread - I do have a question. How many players out there are interested in playing in a PHost version of KCivWar? The reason I ask is that a THost version could be ready to play in very short order. If there's enough interest in a PHost version, it will take some time to get it ready for play.

Gilgamesh

Post#29 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm full on games otherwise I'd be in for the Thost version. Unnatural Selection 5 has pretty much sealed the deal for me on Phost - I'll stick with Thost from here on in.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Gavan

Post#30 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 pm

I am in for the THost version.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Return to “Game Suggestions”