PHOST Q&A Forum

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Tei

Post#31 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:58 pm

streu wrote: It means that "Max_allowed_by_fuel" is computed for the tower using tower's + towee's mass (because that's what affects the tower's fuel consumption), and using only towee's mass for the towee (beause that's what affects its fuel consumption when it moves alone).

It does matter whether it is stationary or moving, because when its stationary either by having warp-0 or a zero waypoint, the Movement_distance ends up as zero.
--Stefan
Got it. So the mass of the towee, is only important for calculating how far the tower can tow the towee if the fuel is limited.

Tei

Post#32 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Stefan, Were you able to make a change to to PCC2 to help with the planet battle simulation? Another game P Monster playing here is having this torp effect too!

Tks,

Tei
streu wrote:
Tei wrote:When simulating Phost battles I use PCC II Play VCR which has merged with Winplan. All is well except for a game that has planets using torpedoes. The PlayVCR doesn't simulate the torps.

Is this a feature of the program not yet developed or a bug?
Last time I heard this complaint it turned out that the game was using a pconfig.src file with 0 torps per tube, and torps get added only by experience. PCC2 currently does not simulate planet experience, but I added that to the next version which I will upload soon (not this weekend, which I spend at the Kirchentag :-) - really interesting even for non-churchgoers).

--Stefan

streu

Post#33 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Tei wrote:Stefan, Were you able to make a change to to PCC2 to help with the planet battle simulation? Another game P Monster playing here is having this torp effect too!
beta 14 (18/Jun/2011) can simulate planets with experience.

--Stefan

Six_Of_One

Post#34 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 am

My question to Cherek.......

How many stars does streu now have 8)
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cannibal

Post#35 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:48 am

streu wrote:
Tei wrote:Stefan, Were you able to make a change to to PCC2 to help with the planet battle simulation? Another game P Monster playing here is having this torp effect too!

--Stefan
The PCC2 beta 14 works great. I goofed in the P-Monster game here last turn and simulated an impending battle without taking planetary torpedos into account. I wont be making that mistake again. Thanks alot.

c

Tei

Post#36 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 pm

streu wrote:

--Stefan
Thanks Stefan, works great. ][avoc, suggest noting the new version in the side bar.

streu

Post#37 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Tei wrote:
streu wrote:beta 14 (18/Jun/2011) can simulate planets with experience.
Thanks Stefan, works great. ][avoc, suggest noting the new version in the side bar.
Just for the record, there is a RSS feed for updates on my toolchain linked on http://phost.de/~stefan/vgapage.html, I post PCC news on the (low-traffic) PCC mailing list, and on the alt.games.vga-planets newsgroup. I don't normally spam forums. A while ago, some guy wanted to "work out" something to push updates here faster, but hasn't answered to my reply.

--Stefan

Klauser

Re: PHOST Q&A Forum

Post#38 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:11 am

I've been reviewing the PHost docs looking for info on CPlayers.

Does anyone have insights about which CP work with PHost 4.x, and which ones won't?

Many thanks!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

streu

Post#39 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:14 am

Klauser wrote:I've been reviewing the PHost docs looking for info on CPlayers.

Does anyone have insights about which CP work with PHost 4.x, and which ones won't?
There is no CPlayer especially for PHost that I'm aware of.

I have already used Dominate in a PHost 3.x game. Of course, that's not a challenging opponent; it's just good enough as a drop in for dropped/un-taken races.

--Stefan

Silvestr Potash

Post#40 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

I have questions about phost 4.1e.Mainly about documentation.
1. The phost docs uses the term "ship slot". It also uses parameter NumShips in pconfig.src. The tie between this terms is not clear. As i read the docs , i assume the quantity of "ship slots" is the "NumShips" - "The number of ships is build already in the game". But it is not true. So, what exact formula to determine the shiplimit?
I have a game with the two player miss.the NumShips is 500 in this pconfig.src. But the shiplimit is 409 ship.
What number of ships must be build in the game to start collect the PBP points in the PBP build queue?
How it depends of NumShips ?
How can i calculate the shiplimit? What condition i must meet to be sure shiplimit=NumShips?
I must able to say "this is not a phost feature, this is an addon"

2. I use accurate fuel model. I must note that formula for fuel consumption is differ in phost 4.1 and phost 3.x.
The docs for phost 4:fuel usage =Total_ship_mass* (1.0 - Exp(-(Engine_fuel_usage * Distance) / (Max_dist * 100000)))
Max_dist =
Warp^2 ...for normal engines
Warp^2 * 2 ...for gravitonic engines

The docs for phost3: fuel usage= RND((FuellessShipMass+ShipFuel)
* (1 - EXP(-FUEL_CONSUMPTION_RATE * DistanceToTravel)))
If i assume "Distance=DistanceToTravel" then difference between formulas is in 1/Max_dist
Its completely wrong. May be you must use "remaining time" instead of "1/Max_dist".
I must note that Phost 4 uses formula for phost 3 doc. Not the formula in the phost 4 doc.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#41 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:08 am

Silvestr Potash wrote:I have questions about phost 4.1e.Mainly about documentation.
1. The phost docs uses the term "ship slot". It also uses parameter NumShips in pconfig.src. The tie between this terms is not clear. As i read the docs , i assume the quantity of "ship slots" is the "NumShips" - "The number of ships is build already in the game". But it is not true. So, what exact formula to determine the shiplimit?
I have a game with the two player miss.the NumShips is 500 in this pconfig.src. But the shiplimit is 409 ship.
What number of ships must be build in the game to start collect the PBP points in the PBP build queue?
How can i calculate the shiplimit? What condition i must meet to be sure shiplimit=NumShips?
I must able to say "this is not a phost feature, this is an addon"
ShipSlot is the actual slot of you ship and is equal to the Ship ID
NumShips is the limit of the total amount of ships that can be build. (Capital + Freighter = total)
You collect PBP points from the start of the game, but PBP are only used once the ship limit (e.g. shipnum) is reached.

With regards to the accurate fuel model I cannot say more than what the docs say. I normally do not use the accurate fuel model for the games here at C-M because most players complain that Winplan does not give the required fuel correctly then and for some reason they still like Winplan :shock:

Silvestr Potash

Post#42 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:00 am

BitMask wrote: NumShips is the limit of the total amount of ships that can be build. (Capital + Freighter = total)
I think so before. But why the shiplimit become 409 (= 500 *9/11) in the game with NumShips=500 and no addon?
No change in the pconfig.src during the all game. Any idea?

streu

Post#43 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:15 am

Silvestr Potash wrote:I have questions about phost 4.1e.Mainly about documentation.
The quantity of "Ship Slots" is "NumShips". That is, by default, there are 500 ship slots. Each of them can be occupied or not (that's what the term "slot" is intended to suggest). If you have "NumShips=500" in your pconfig.src, you will be able to build 500 ships, no matter how many players are in the game -- unless there is an add-on that interferes.
You collect build points all the time (this is the same as in Tim-host). You can use them whenever you want (this is different from Tim-host):
- you can spend points on a priority build even before the ship limit, although this usually makes no sense
- you are not forced to do priority builds after the ship limit, you can pile up points for the big gun if you wish

2. I use accurate fuel model. I must note that formula for fuel consumption is differ in phost 4.1 and phost 3.x.
The docs for phost 4:fuel usage =Total_ship_mass* (1.0 - Exp(-(Engine_fuel_usage * Distance) / (Max_dist * 100000)))
Max_dist =

If i assume "Distance=DistanceToTravel" then difference between formulas is in 1/Max_dist
Its completely wrong. May be you must use "remaining time" instead of "1/Max_dist".
I must note that Phost 4 uses formula for phost 3 doc. Not the formula in the phost 4 doc.
There is no difference. FUEL_CONSUMPTION_RATE is defined as Engine_fuel_usage / (Max_dist * 100000). Therefore, the formula is the same in PHost 3 and PHost 4. And as long as I'm maintaining PHost, the formula will never change, to avoid increasing confusion.

The values you're used to ("Transwarps, Warp 9 => 100.00") are Engine_fuel_usage / Max_dist.

--Stefan

akshamu

Post#44 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:54 pm

streu wrote:
The quantity of "Ship Slots" is "NumShips". That is, by default, there are 500 ship slots. Each of them can be occupied or not (that's what the term "slot" is intended to suggest). If you have "NumShips=500" in your pconfig.src, you will be able to build 500 ships, no matter how many players are in the game -- unless there is an add-on that interferes.
You collect build points all the time (this is the same as in Tim-host). You can use them whenever you want (this is different from Tim-host):
- you can spend points on a priority build even before the ship limit, although this usually makes no sense
- you are not forced to do priority builds after the ship limit, you can pile up points for the big gun if you wish

Max_dist =

There is no difference. FUEL_CONSUMPTION_RATE is defined as Engine_fuel_usage / (Max_dist * 100000). Therefore, the formula is the same in PHost 3 and PHost 4. And as long as I'm maintaining PHost, the formula will never change, to avoid increasing confusion.

The values you're used to ("Transwarps, Warp 9 => 100.00") are Engine_fuel_usage / Max_dist.

--Stefan
How do you "spend" the points that you have built up?
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

streu

Post#45 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:00 pm

akshamu wrote:How do you "spend" the points that you have built up?
By doing a priority build? (PBx fcode)

--Stefan

Return to “Intel”