Calculation bug VPA3.63 + DOSBOX 0.74

There is where you can ask Cherek anything that's on your mind.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Super Tech

Calculation bug VPA3.63 + DOSBOX 0.74

Post#1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Cherek,

I installed DOSBOX version 0.74 which runs VPA version 3.63.

Fairly frequently the calculated values in VPA such as distance / fuel usage & taxing effects show insanely high numbers.
If I exit VPA and restart sometimes it works OK again.
Other times I have to exit DOSBOX then restart it which fixes the problem again (for awhile).

The only DOSBOX setting I changed was to force display to 2X zoom. All other settings are default.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Last edited by Super Tech on Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireAge

Re: Calculation bug VPA3.63 + DOSBOX 0.74

Post#2 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:52 am

Yes, I noticed that too.

I was using the game setups from Bitmask to do some testing, and indeed trying to fly 50ly already gave me a "too long" message. It made the things I wanted to test rather troublesome.

I have not had the problem with any of the real games I am playing in.
So I never felt the need to dig deeper into it.

Using DosBox 0.74 and VPA 3.64-beta4 by the way.

wasp

Post#3 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

It's 'normal'. If you enter vpa and then exit and then go again and stay with dosbox open too long, you'll get that.

Sometimes it also happens that when show connections is on, he connects all planets... it's pretty actually :D but not practical
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Quapla

Post#4 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am

Yes I can confirm this. It is strange. If I stay in the DOSBOX too long even the clocks goes crazy.

I keep on working, but I cannot exclude a memory leak somewhere in the code...

Quapla
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

wasp

Post#5 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 pm

It happens with different games, i mean, i'm playing one, then change to another game and it can happen in that one or yet in another one....
After it happens, it happens in all
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Quapla

Post#6 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:54 pm

well, what I say. It's either a bug in Dosbox or a memory leak in VPA which causes the bug in Dosbox. Who knows. Just restart the box and everything will be OK.
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

Super Tech

Post#7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm

The solution I used was to have a different DosBox conf file for each game. In each conf file it auto-runs the game then closes DosBox on return. So a double click on the icon launches DosBox straight to the game and Alt-X closes VPA then DosBox will close.

No problems at all with this setup and nothing to type other than VPA commands. I just love VPA!

Also helpful is to delete most of DosBox keyboard short cuts. Before doing this I hit the wrong control keys with F9 and DosBox closed without saving anything! The only one I kept was Crtl-Alt-F10 to release the mouse.
Last edited by Super Tech on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireAge

Post#8 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 am

I use the same method of configuration files. But it still doesn't solve the bug.
It only makes it less work to deal with the bug :)

I'm going to guess the problem is in DosBox as I've never encountered it before switching to the box.

Return to “Ask Cherek”