Alpha Quadrant 7 - Interested?

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Alpha Quadrant 7 - Interested?

Post#1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 am

Hey everyone,
It's been a long time since I played in my favourite scenario so I thought I'd test the waters and see if anyone else would be interested in giving a new incarnation of the award winning Alpha Quadrant a go. I have scoured all the previous incarnations of AQ and have decided on AQ4 as the template with one addition - One Ally.

The game set up would be:

Description: Alpha Quadrant 7 is a Star Trek Race / Ship mod set in Next Generation / DS9 era. Game runs 3 times a week until turn 30, then twice a week or when all turns are in. This game is open ended with no set conclusion date.

Game Options: Mods: SB+, Teleport and One Ally. Classic HW's in a Circle / Long Range. Federation vs Empire map. Extra Rich HW. Random Normal Planets. High Pop. Very High Money. Starbase @ HW w/ 2 ships. TimHost 3.22.47. Rank To Join: Planetary Buccaneer.

You can check out the config details here on CM, on the home page click files/host files/scenarios for further details. With all the new gamers joining this year hopefully it will peak the interest of some new adversaries.

We can hold off on discussions about race choices and any other details until after we see if there is enough interest. Bitmask has assured me if enough of us want it, he will build it.

So come one come all, read the AQ endorsements that I'm sure will flood in here, and show your interest in playing what is in my opinion the best scenario, hell the best VGAP game, I have ever played in.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Rimstalker

Re: Alpha Quadrant 7 - Interested?

Post#2 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 am

endorsements? Is that the shiplist where Empire is way overpowered?
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

wasp

Post#3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 am

I might be interested, but only playing with the Romulans (sorry about that).

In what way is the Empire overpowered?
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

FLETCH

Post#4 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:05 am

wasp wrote: In what way is the Empire overpowered?
Ditto

The Empire are the Dominion, traditionally not known to be a stand out above any others in this one.
FLETCH

Klauser

Post#5 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:55 am

Hey Fletch! I am thrilled that you still like AQ - it was a labor of love and I'm a little in awe that it's someone's favorite mod.

If there is any race that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped it was the Maquis (Player 11). I envisioned them as a rag-tag rebellious race that specializes in fighter warfare. IIRC my first attempt at them made them too strong, and I think they're still not balanced quite right.

Please remember to make the recommended HCONFIG changes or the races can be off-balance.

My next several months are going to be busy - it looks like I'm going to be changing jobs - but I'm real tempted to jump in myself ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Rimstalker

Post#6 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 am

Did you check the shiplist?

Dominion has

- a supercheap 8/8 carrier with just enough mass to only get minimal fighter damage
- imperial assault
- a popper
- a 10/10 torper that is the 2nd biggest ship in the game and costs half of the borg 10/10 cube
- darksense
- a really usefull race+ ability (gravity well)

Raven2

Post#7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm in.
I've always thoroughly enjoyed the AQ games (I've played in several, with varying degrees of success from kicking ass to having my own handed to me).
Agree that the Maquis still have some issues.
As Klauser mentioned, it's imperative that HCONFIG mods be made per the scenario recommendations.
I agree with FLETCH that alliances need to be limited -- the AQ scenario seems to breed super-alliances for some reason. One-ally works for me.
Looking forward to another voyage in the Alpha Quadrant!
>>> Raven <<<

FLETCH

Post#8 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Rimstalker wrote:
Did you check the shiplist?

Dominion has

- a supercheap 8/8 carrier with just enough mass to only get minimal fighter damage
- imperial assault
- a popper
- a 10/10 torper that is the 2nd biggest ship in the game and costs half of the borg 10/10 cube
- darksense
- a really usefull race+ ability (gravity well)
Race+ isn't in use in this scenario. Maybe the players didn't take full advantage of the Dominion in the past but as I said, they were never overly powerful before. Klauser spent a great deal of time trying to balance this one.
FLETCH

Rimstalker

Post#9 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 pm

I played (and won) AQ 5, as Ferengi. Gavan was Dominion.

Any fight I went in, I lost heavily, even without him using poppers, I only won because of a massively better economy, and him being that much worse.

Raven might remember the angry messages, when Gavan repeatedly tried to darksense me :)

I can see the races working in some kind of scenario, but a regular game with the shiplist, I don't see working very well.

Raven2

Post#10 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Yet win you did. That would seem to indicate some semblence of balance.
I've always found all the races in AQ scenarios to be competitive, with the possible exception of the Maquis.
>>> Raven <<<

Gavan

Post#11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 pm

What a great idea Fletch

I would be interested.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Cardno

Post#12 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:03 am

Does any one remember my 'cameo' in mmmmm was it AQ5? I took over xtals for a few turns as 'mediator'. I dropped the game after it was thought 'balance' was acheived. But two VERY NAUGHTY boys decided to do something creative... [-X [-X [-X

Maybe its time for a return......

Rimstalker

Post#13 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:05 am

I'm pretty sure that was not AQ5. Was it Shardin in there that played even worse than Gavan, and back (butt?) stabbed me?

Cardno

Post#14 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 am

Rimstalker wrote:I'm pretty sure that was not AQ5. Was it Shardin in there that played even worse than Gavan, and back (butt?) stabbed me?
Dude i would go with 'back' and not 'butt', cause that is something i'm PRETTY SURE you would remember...

not sure - maybe it was AQ3. Fletch will remember... :mrgreen:

FLETCH

Post#15 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:29 am

Yeah Cardno it was probably AQ3,

Rimstalker this is a thread about those interested in playing the scenario.Your ability to play the game is well known, unfortunately so is your arrogance. This is a friendly game, I'm not interested in the poor attitude you have brought to this discussion. If all you want to do is criticise, call names and bad mouth others then please keep your comments to yourself and don't join the game.

Simple.
FLETCH

Return to “Game Suggestions”