VPA V3.66 Beta 3 released

This forum is for discussion of the VPA client.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Quapla

VPA V3.66 Beta 3 released

Post#1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Hello folks,

here it is - only 2 massive news today:
1. I tried to implement a visual Build-Q (See B, L, N right next to the planet name)
2. I tried to fix the mentioned bug, that VPA doesn't memory overtaken planes by ground attack (did not check this very well)

Take care to use the new VPA.MSG

Take Care: I changed the VPAx.DB structure for the Visual Build-Q. Although nothing should happen, please make a backup first. You can even read the new DB with old VPA versions.

PS. Maybe we should open a own VPA section....

Quapla

Changelog:
2013-04-09 - 2013-04-14 Quapla (3.66b1)
+ Shows bases that built, lastbuilt and are supposed to be to build next
+ Reads Distress Call messages and puts correct planet owner

2013-04-14 Quapla (3.66b2)
! Bugfix in calculation of of Ground Attack simulation

2013-04-20 Quapla (3.66b3)
! Bugfix in calculation of Pillage/RGA forecast
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

BitMask
Site Admin

Re: VPA V3.66 Beta 3 released

Post#2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 am

Created a VPA forum under Projects for you.

wasp

Post#3 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Congrats on the new release.

But i think you should consider moving it to java or c and do something like ,well, like VPA but without the need of dosbox.

You seem to understand the inner workings and you know programming for sure.

With Javafx or opengl and other technologies, shouldn't be hard, if you have the time that is.

Ricardo
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Quapla

Post#4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 pm

wasp wrote:Congrats on the new release.
At first - thank you - i try to to my best.
wasp wrote:But i think you should consider moving it to java or c and do something like ,well, like VPA but without the need of dosbox.
But - there will never ever be a compilation of VPA under Java, C or what ever to run under modern OS 32/64bit. At least not by me, or any other remaining member of the VPA team.
wasp wrote:You seem to understand the inner workings and you know programming for sure.
Here I have to admit and say a strictly: NO.

I do neither know about the "inner workings" of VPA, I can try to understand some of the functions - but most of them are still a miracle for me. Nor do I know deep programming - I am an economist, not a programmer :mrgreen:
wasp wrote:With Javafx or opengl and other technologies, shouldn't be hard, if you have the time that is.
Well, time may be a problem. And knowledge. But: Some others are far more enhanced to the planets project, like PCC2 or Web-PCC, or hate to say this: NU.

So please take it as it is: I''ts a f... damn DOS program, and it stays a DOS program. And at least: I am happy with it, the way it is.

If you want to contribute, please do make improvements.
or
Tell me what to improve, where are bugs, what are the ideas to make it better/easer.

I still have some more "tricks" in the pipeline...

Steffen

streu

Post#5 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm

wasp wrote:But i think you should consider moving it to java or c and do something like ,well, like VPA but without the need of dosbox.
[...]
With Javafx or opengl and other technologies, shouldn't be hard, if you have the time that is.
This has been suggested a billion times, but the answer always has been the same: No.

VPA is a happy DOS program doing what happy DOS programs do: hooking interrupts, writing into video memory, poking around the main memory, and ignoring the operating system if it wants to. Nontrivial DOS programs cannot be ported. This applies to PCC 1.x as well. And to planets.exe or master.exe.

What can be ported is "business logic", and most of this already exists in PCC2 (or JVPC, JVC). All the interface has to be re-done. And I hear VPA addicts like VPA for its interface style.

It is much easier to port an old Windows program (like Winplan) to a new operating system. Heck, even to Java. Because it already written in a cooperative style for nice modern GUI programs, and all nice modern GUIs work almost the same ("dear operating system, please make me a window, tell me when I'm allowed to paint in it, and when the user clicks it").

--Stefan

wasp

Post#6 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 am

Ok, I understand it.

Do you know if i can use netbeans to compile the source? I've never used mingw and netbeans is what i use at work, so i'm more familiar with.

Thanks
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Quapla

Post#7 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 am

wasp wrote:Do you know if i can use netbeans to compile the source? I've never used mingw and netbeans is what i use at work, so i'm more familiar with.
As far as I have tried you can only compile the sources with Borland Pascal V7.0 (maybe the french fork V7.1 would do it, too).

Nothing else. No Turbo Pascal, no free Pascal or anything else.

If you are keen enough to the change to code you may have success, but would not bet on it.

wasp

Post#8 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 am

sorry for the misunderstanding. I was talking about pcc2

streu

Post#9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:44 am

wasp wrote:Ok, I understand it.

Do you know if i can use netbeans to compile the source? I've never used mingw and netbeans is what i use at work, so i'm more familiar with.
I don't know -- in particular because I don't have a feeling what Netbeans actually is (does it come bundled with a C++ compiler?). For example, Visual Studio is an IDE like Netbeans, but it DOES come with a compiler, librarian, and make utility.

PCC2 (and VPA, for that matter) uses Makefiles to control the build process. In the case of PCC2, there are Makefiles for Linux/Unix, MinGW, Borland (probably does not work anymore), and Visual Studio. The latter allows you to compile it using Microsoft's C++ compiler, so in one sense, yes, PCC2 can be built with Visual Studio. On the other hand, you cannot load the Makefile into the IDE to see a clickable list of files. So, in another sense, PCC2 cannot be built with Visual Studio.

So, if Netbeans comes with a compiler, all you'd have to do is to whack the makefile a little to call your compiler. I could offer to reintegrate your changes into the Makefile generator so a Netbeans Makefile would come with all future releases.

If Netbeans does not come with a compiler, you'd have to install one. And then you could as well choose MinGW :-)

None of this would give you IDE integration (clickable list of files, etc.). I don't care about such things, and they're sufficiently different from Makefiles that I cannot maintain them "blind".

In any case, building PCC2 requires Perl, so that would be another package you'd need. But then, Perl is handy to have anyway.

--Stefan

wasp

Post#10 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Wow. That goes beyond my knowledge. Netbeans is an IDE and it has a compiler and it also builds executables. not sure about the C++ version though.

Perl is something i've never messed with...

Will have a look into it.

BTW, how can i use the phost PDK? is it only for phost?

thanks

streu

Post#11 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 pm

wasp wrote:Wow. That goes beyond my knowledge. Netbeans is an IDE and it has a compiler and it also builds executables. not sure about the C++ version though.
Netbeans is primarily an IDE for Java, and the Java Development Kit includes a free compiler. So it's not unreasonable that Oracle, the company who owns Java, ships an IDE with a Java compiler.

Eclipse started out the same way, as a Java IDE, but now supports most programming languages under the sun (but also only includes a Java compiler, if any compiler at all).
BTW, how can i use the phost PDK? is it only for phost?
Same thing: start by getting a compiler that can be driven by Makefiles :-)

The PDK should support either host, but PHost support has been tested more.

--Stefan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#12 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Netbeans is primary for Java, but also for PHP, C/C++ & HTML5.
You can download different versions/bundels. Just take the one with everything.
Unfortunately that is where my knowledge of Netbeans ends. :(

wasp

Post#13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

I've installed netbeans with C++ option and tried to compile it but got into too many problems.

First it needs a compiler. I've tried mingw but there were problems because it couldn't find an exe. And several files were not installed. Then i tried cygwin and that problem went away. Then it started complaining that couldn't find the include cstlib . I0ve managed to solve that. Then it wanted perl as well. I've installed it. Then it started complaining about a mak file could not be found, started to run some configure and then failed when loading the SDL lib and the others. I couldn't find where i had to define the libs folder. Finally i've started to look into the code, but it seemed to confusing which is logical since i never programmed in C++.

Well, maybe i make a new on with java, or maybe not....

Even if i can make it run i think it's too complex to understand it...

Thank you for your patience

streu

Post#14 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:06 pm

wasp wrote:First it needs a compiler. I've tried mingw but there were problems because it couldn't find an exe. And several files were not installed. Then i tried cygwin and that problem went away. Then it started complaining that couldn't find the include cstlib . I0ve managed to solve that. Then it wanted perl as well. I've installed it. Then it started complaining about a mak file could not be found, started to run some configure and then failed when loading the SDL lib and the others. I couldn't find where i had to define the libs folder. Finally i've started to look into the code, but it seemed to confusing which is logical since i never programmed in C++.
I'm not sure where you turned wrong, but the file "INSTALL" (a text file) should describe in detail what you need to have, and what you have to do (be careful to skip the chapters that don't apply to your compiler).

For Windows, the procedure is running the "config.bat" file telling it what compiler you have ("config mingw"), and then editing the file "acdefs.mak" to tell it your path names. Under Unix, this file is created by configure, but I don't expect configure to work at all under Windows.

I haven't tried Cygwin yet, because I don't see much point in making a PCC2 for Cygwin (it couldn't do anything a MinGW PCC2 couldn't do, but it would be harder to use). The whole point of PCC2 for Windows is to get a program that doesn't need any emulation, like VPA, PCC 1.x or Winplan do.

Of course, a little experience with C++ compilation comes in handy. Modularisation and linking work totally different (some say: weird and prehistoric) in C++ than they do in Java.

--Stefan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#15 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:04 am

If C++ is to complex, you can always join the JVC (Java) client development. http://sourceforge.net/projects/jvc-client/

Return to “Project 7: VPA”