max distance

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

jemmini

max distance

Post#1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi, all!
Hi, Stefan.

Stefan, my question for you.
I now play on this server in the game 350, on the PHost 4.1f, Wrap
I still can't understand, and a gamemaster never answered me...
HOW is it possible that an ordinary sort of boat flew distance 86,3 light years ???
the ship to fly from one planet to another.
it too much, even if to consider the effect of a gravitational well!
as a result, for this reason, I lost my planet.

maybe it's a bug?
could you please comment on this.

WBR, Max.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: max distance

Post#2 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:35 pm

If I missed an email I apologize. It sounds to me that maybe the ship crossed the edge of the map. Just an assumption by the way you explained it. If you have your edge map borders setup incorrectly in your client then that would explain the longer distance perceived by the ship movement.

We need to know the ship #, the planet numbers involved, the turn numbers it happened on, and did the ship in question cross the edge of the map?
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#3 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 pm

The first thing that came to my mind was the presence of an ion storm strong enough to drag the ship in the same direction.

jemmini

Post#4 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:14 am

Havok , here are the figures for this situation:

Game 350, turn 33

Ship 121, planet 54.
the ship was flying from the planet 395
the distance between the planets 86,3
at first I assumed that was used a special ship. however, this caused a lot of doubt, in the future has not found confirmation.

it seems that it is not located on the edge of the map.

My game client: VPA
map.ini :
Wrap = Yes
Explore = No
Size = 2000

FireAge

Post#5 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Any ion storms nearby?

What is the distance from the departing planet to the closest point in the warpwell?
Warpwell not set to old 5 ly value? Warpwell not set as a box instead of a circle?

No special features set which allow chain-towing?

jemmini

Post#6 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:33 pm

1. ion storm was not
2. distance from the planets to the gravity well - 83,5
3. the ship was there absolutely one

> Warpwell not set to old 5 ly value? Warpwell not set as a box instead of a circle?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
don't know what it is. setting the standard, default phost 4.1

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I believe gravity wells / warp wells are 3LY not 5LY. I'll follow-up.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#8 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Can we get the XY coordinates of the start and end locations please? :)

jemmini

Post#9 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 am

end location: planet 54 = 1097,1116 (nearest corner of the gravity well = 1050,1047)
start location: planet 395 = 1048,1045 (nearest corner of the gravity well = 1095,1114)

Hawkeye

Post#10 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:50 am

Phost utilises a square warp well that extends 3 light years in each direction, which is slightly different to that of Tim's original host program. Based on this, and seeing as how the ship is approaching on a near 45 degree angle, the closest warp-well grid location to the starting point would in actual fact be located at 1094, 1113 which is only 82 light years away from the starting location. Given the way either (a) math was calculated on the early computers, or (b) Phost calculates stuff, if some form of rounding up occurred, this could account for the single missing light year.

So to recap, the ship flies 81LY which due to some sort of rounding actually ends up being 82LY, placing it in the warp-well, which then moves it another 4.3LY onto the planet. At least that's the best theory I can come up with :?

Any Phost propeller-heads out there have any further insight?

Hawk

streu

Post#11 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Phost utilises a square warp well that extends 3 light years in each direction, which is slightly different to that of Tim's original host program.
I believe Tim's original host program, 20 years ago, had square gravity as well, and was later changed to round. PHost offers both types using the RoundGravityWells option. The default, if the option is not specified, is square. Don't ask me why.
Based on this, and seeing as how the ship is approaching on a near 45 degree angle, the closest warp-well grid location to the starting point would in actual fact be located at 1094, 1113 which is only 82 light years away from the starting location. Given the way either (a) math was calculated on the early computers, or (b) Phost calculates stuff, if some form of rounding up occurred, this could account for the single missing light year.

So to recap, the ship flies 81LY which due to some sort of rounding actually ends up being 82LY, placing it in the warp-well, which then moves it another 4.3LY onto the planet. At least that's the best theory I can come up with :?
PHost always rounds up. So if your distance-to-move is 81.00001 ly, PHost rounds that up to 82. This is so nobody can complain that it rounds down, "my ship only moved 80.95 ly, but the docs say I can go 81, I want my money back!".

--Stefan

jemmini

Post#12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Stefan, you can answer specifically on the topic? That for bugs? This phenomenon contradicts the rules.

Hawkeye

Post#13 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am

Hi Jemmini

Could you try this please:

Take one of your ships with Transwarp drives, set it to warp 9, and give it a waypoint into open space exactly X=49 light years, and Y=71 light years away from its starting location.

Once it has moved, please provide the starting and ending coordinates.

Cheers, Hawk.

streu

Post#14 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Take one of your ships with Transwarp drives, set it to warp 9, and give it a waypoint into open space exactly X=49 light years, and Y=71 light years away from its starting location.
The game's configuration would be interesting, too.

A waypoint of 49/71 gives a movement of 46.0083/66.66, which rounds to 47/67 (or 2/4 away from the actual waypoint). This definitively does not work with standard-sized warp wells. So far I have no evidence for a miscomputation in PHost here.

--Stefan

jemmini

Post#15 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm

in this game 350 I found another one, precisely the same situation: biocide flew 86,0 ly. in this case, the starting point was in space, and the destination on the planet.
as a result of a bird, not counting on this situation, he lost two spacecraft and the planet.

in both cases, the angle of trajectory is very similar

admire:

turn 32

turn 33

bird in shock from such nonsense. as a result of swift and white falcon lost.

pconfig.src
GravityWellRange: default (3)
RoundGravityWells: default (No)

p.s. I noticed that in both cases, the gravity wells attracts the ship at a distance of 4 light-years from planet (vertical).
Last edited by jemmini on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Intel”