VPA and Android?

This forum is for discussion of the VPA client.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

wasp

VPA and Android?

Post#1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Sooooo, Any plans for a VPA for Android????

It would be nice to play on the tablet....
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

wasp

Re: VPA and Android?

Post#2 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Any examples on the net for a game that looks like VPA? For ideas....
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

albatross

Post#3 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:45 am

Basically it is possible to run any sort of code in Android. At work I did a project recently where a piece of embedded c-code designed to run in a vehicle control unit has been wrapped into a library which in turn has been created using the NDK. You may run such a wrapped code by including the lib into a regular App, yet you still have to design a native Android front end via SDK to handle any sort of user interaction.

Have seen bits and peaces only from the VPA code, so can't say if the math is completely separated from the gui (unlike in the original Winplan for example). If there is such kind of separation, including the math into an App wouldn't be the difficult part, instead making such a cool piece of client actually finger-friendly would require the big thinking.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:41 pm

You could probably run it in DOSBox Turbo or something of that nature.

Here's a video as well from youtube

Regards,
][avok

streu

Post#5 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:54 pm

wasp wrote:Sooooo, Any plans for a VPA for Android????
Have you tried my web-based combat simulator already? It runs on desktop, tablet, and phone.

I'm currently building a client based on the same technology. (Not the existing PCC2 Web, which sucks.) Don't hold your breath, but I'm making progress :-)

--Stefan

B A N E

Post#6 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Streu,

When you get close to test time speak up, I'd like to help by test driving etc.
I am sure others here would also like the same opportunity.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

wasp

Post#7 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:07 pm

streu wrote:
wasp wrote:Sooooo, Any plans for a VPA for Android????
Have you tried my web-based combat simulator already? It runs on desktop, tablet, and phone.

I'm currently building a client based on the same technology. (Not the existing PCC2 Web, which sucks.) Don't hold your breath, but I'm making progress :-)

--Stefan
Looks good. But it's web, right?

What technologies are you using, if i might ask?

streu

Post#8 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:36 am

wasp wrote:
streu wrote:Have you tried my web-based combat simulator already? It runs on desktop, tablet, and phone.

Looks good. But it's web, right?
Yes, it's web, because that's the only technology that runs on everything. If I'd be making an Android app, I'd make the iFans angry, and vice versa, and I cannot do both (and then I haven't even started with BlackBerry and Windows). The only disadvantage I see is that it requires an internet connection (but a slow one is pretty much ok).

The simulator actually doesn't access the 'net after you've played your first sim (except for image resources).
What technologies are you using, if i might ask?
Application servers in C++, redis as data store, and a little perl to glue it together. The front-end is in JavaScript (what else?). The difference between the "new" battle simulator and the "old" PCC2 Web is that I'm now actually speaking modern JavaScript, the old one was pretty clumsy.

--Stefan

wasp

Post#9 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:05 pm

They play on their phones? ok...

Java web start allows to put a 'desktop' application in the web, but haven't tried it yet...

Return to “Project 7: VPA”