Doing an ally's turn

What do you like about what's going on at Circus-Maximus.com? Or, if you're the whiny type, tell us what stinks! We may not fix it, but we'll listen...

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

TheClerk

Doing an ally's turn

Post#1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Hello Folks,

I have one question: Is there anything to consider when I want to do a turn for my ally? This is necessarry because is on vacation and has no access to the internet.

Regards,
Simon

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Doing an ally's turn

Post#2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Did your ally give you a copy of his game folder or are you playing his RST in your own game folder?
Regards,
][avok

TheClerk

Post#3 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:00 am

I copied my game folder and did his turn in the copy of my folder to prevent mixed data.

I am doing my turns with VPA and maketurn with CC.exe.

One turn was send in now. The next turns can be done by himself but end of May I will have to do one or two turns again.

FireAge

Post#4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm

You need to make the two turns at the same time with one command. If the turns have different timestamps but with the same registration you will get into trouble with the Tim Continuum.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:40 pm

TheClerk wrote:I copied my game folder and did his turn in the copy of my folder to prevent mixed data.

I am doing my turns with VPA and maketurn with CC.exe.

One turn was send in now. The next turns can be done by himself but end of May I will have to do one or two turns again.
FireAge is correct.

Since this person is your ally you can play both turns in the same folder. The the Maketurn process will put the same time stamp on both .TRN files as they'll be made at the same time.
Regards,
][avok

TheClerk

Post#6 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:41 pm

Ok, thanks for the answers.

Would doing his turn with his registration key also ok? I know the Tim Continuum can't notice but Havok said something about one player, one registration key...

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:05 pm

TheClerk wrote:Ok, thanks for the answers.

Would doing his turn with his registration key also ok? I know the Tim Continuum can't notice but Havok said something about one player, one registration key...
If you're playing with your ally's registration key then your ally's game must be in it's own folder with that key.

If you're going to play both turns in your game folder, than you only need your key, and of course the maketurn process will provide the same time stamp to both TRN files.
Regards,
][avok

TheClerk

Post#8 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:08 am

Ok, thanks for the clarification :)

streu

Post#9 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:41 am

If you're playing your ally's turn with their key, and you are using VPA or PCC, you should place both in different directories. You will then run Maketurn twice, and it will generate two different turn files with two different keys, and everything will be fine.

Winplan and planets.exe make it difficult or impossible to play different folders with different keys. That's why it is often adviced to play both races in the same folder, so both turn files are created at once with the same key. However, if you do that, you'll later have to separate the two again, i.e. remove your ally's files from yours.

Thus, a simple flowchart:
  • Winplan, Dosplan users: play ally and own turn in same directory, with same key, run Maketurn at the same time and always submit both turns
  • PCC, VPA users:
    • if you have their game directory (and key), play ally and own turn in different directories with different keys, as if they were playing on two different computers.
    • if you don't have their key, and no key to spare, play in same directory, with same key, run Maketurn at the same time, and always submit both turns

--Stefan

Return to “Comments About Circus-Maximus.com”