Hosting Cementery

Why not lay off the home team for a second and spend some time discussing the good and the bad that you've seen at other VGA Planets sites on the web?

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Aleortu

Hosting Cementery

Post#1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:12 am

What hosting sites do you remember you enjoyed to play but have fallen down?

The Last Domain:
I started playing there and it had great guides and help pages, specially the ship lists and advices to build it or not.
Fortunately these guides are still in Donovan's site.

Planets-Server:
The best site of all.
You could configure the settings of a game, invite players or watch them joining and make it start!
I was on my 6th own made-up game (Foundation6) when it had server problems and never come back. All my games were named Foundation 1, 2, 3 etc because I am fan of Asimov's Foundation.
Some of my games were with hidden map, other with rounded map (you travel west and appear in the east), different ship lists, etc.
You could submit your turn in the site, no email needed.

Robo, the Canadian site:
They were exigent with the players skill, very professional, but they have disappeared too.

A hosting in Spanish language:

I joined since I am from Argentina but when my game was in turn 10 it stopped working.

Do you remember other hostings that are not running anymore?
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

streu

Re: Hosting Cementery

Post#2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Aleortu wrote:Do you remember other hostings that are not running anymore?
To add to the cemetery:

RCWorld closed, I think, last year. PBEMzone, EchoCluster.com and Gishost went away suddenly each during the last years. All of these are not focused, but probably still centered a bit in Germany.

To add to the maternity room (to counter your claim that there were only two hosts alive):

PlanetsCentral tries to be a successor-in-spirit to PlanetsServer, i.e. a host that can run without admin intervention (and thus does not die when the admin has no time). It's still lacking a configure-your-own-games interface, but's that's just because I haven't yet made the interface, the engine can do it already. There are currently three games plus one replacement open for joining.

--Stefan (Robots in Foundation3 :-))

Havok
Site Admin

Post#3 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 am

There are many old hosts that have gone away spread across the globe. In fact I probably need to update my links page again as it's been a year or so.

I believe High Command is still hosting games - http://www.high-command.net/

Blutmagie.de is still up, however no games at the moment. His games are usually private via invite. - http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/~h3s/

SpaceCraft Portal still has their site up, not sure what's going on there - http://www.spacecraft-portal.de/

Looks like vgaplanets.dk is offline. They were pounding out games pretty regularly for a while.

Same goes for http://www.thestarbase.net/. Not sure what's happening there. I talked to the admin about a year ago and he was busy doing a lot of traveling for work, I guess that hasn't slowed down.
Regards,
][avok

Quapla

Post#4 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh my god, looking at the past days I recognize how old I've got ....

All hosts above sound like musik, I used to play a lot at echocluster.com (vgaplanets.de) after planetsserver.com closed. I started at the LastDomain.com. May his beloved harddrive rest in peace for ever....

Nowdays I play a lot here, i even have some games running at high-command.net (although host Matthias wants to quit, too).

And still my hope is a colabroation with NU - Stefan knows what I mean. :D

Meanwhile his PlanetsCentral makes a really good start!

Quapla
...still playing VPA in a box...
latest VPA: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpa/

Aleortu

Post#5 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Havok wrote:
Same goes for http://www.thestarbase.net/. Not sure what's happening there. I talked to the admin about a year ago and he was busy doing a lot of traveling for work, I guess that hasn't slowed down.
The messageboard in this site is fine, many threads and posts, but the last activity was YOU ASKING IF THEY WERE ALIVE, back in 2013. :!:
The site seems to be dead, the menu frame is there but it does not work.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Gilgamesh

Post#6 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 am

NAVGAP.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Aleortu wrote:
Havok wrote:
The messageboard in this site is fine, many threads and posts, but the last activity was YOU ASKING IF THEY WERE ALIVE, back in 2013. :!:
The site seems to be dead, the menu frame is there but it does not work.
It's a shame. He ran a really good site. I wish some others would pick up the mantle. I could be taking this place down any day...
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

I hope you're kidding, ][avok..... :shock:
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I hope you're kidding, ][avok..... :shock:
I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't. We hit 10 years last March and I could use a break.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Well - nobody has earned a break more than you. It would be unfair of me to try to talk you out of it, I just hope you know how much we all appreciate what you do for us.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

casebolt

Post#11 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:11 am

Not many sites out there, would this be a bad time to get into a new game?

B A N E

Re: Hosting Cemetery

Post#12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:48 am

Havok wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I hope you're kidding, ][avok..... :shock:
I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't. We hit 10 years last March and I could use a break.
I would regret seeing that happen...but I'd understand.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 pm

So from a purely practical standpoint, should we expect games like NF 143 to go forward?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 am

If it is there, it will go forward. Except if no player accept the chalenge

Gilgamesh

Post#15 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:41 am

Good to know - let's fill 'er up!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Comments About Other VGA Planets Sites”