How did you started in VGA Planets?

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Aleortu

How did you started in VGA Planets?

Post#1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:07 pm

I would like to know how all of you come to the game and your first experience.

I have a friend, co-worker in the office, who played before and told me about a turn game with different races with different and unique skills. He told me about robbing somebody''s big carrier using a small cloaked boat, mining planets and talking to other players to crush a third party together. He told me he used to play it in University (here in Argentina) by giving a diskette with the turn to the hoster, who run the game in his home and give you back the diskette with the new turn to be played a few days later (in those days).

It was year 2005.
So he brought me to THE LAST DOMAIN and I wanted to play the two races he know and he described to me: Privateers or Robots but thew were taken so I pick COLONIAL, and suddenly become my favorite race.

What do a newbie playing VGA Planets? I had a button in the planet screen "BUILD STARBASE": Oh, I need more money and duranium, I will move them here. Result: I had 3 SB at turn 11. My friend told me "No... that's not the way of playing". I think the other players were surprised watching the scores, what a bold player! But I was toasted quick and left the game early.

Later I joined other hosts, paid the full version to Tim, played other races and become skilled in Robots and Birdmen, right now I am enjoying the Feds, I think this is the right race for me.

Push your brains and remember how you discovered VGA Planets, started playing and something you remember from you first experience!
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

casebolt

Re: How did you started in VGA Planets?

Post#2 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 pm

We. Had a local group of 8 people that played Star fleet battles. And we all got together and bought VGA Planets when I spotted the game in a gaming magazine, many long nights telling friends to hurry up on their turn lol we loved it, needless to say star fleet battles went by by.

High Command

Post#3 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:02 am

In late 1997, I saw an announcement "VGAP: New games starting" at my ISP, which was CompuServe at that time.
My first race were the Klingons (surprisingly ;-) )
I will never forgot how proud I was, attacking the homeworld of the Privateers with 3 Ill Winds and 4 Vics, moving straight against him...and I never will forget the desaster when I found out, what a hidden fleet of MBRs can do with 3 Ill winds and 4 Vics ;-)

TheClerk

Post#4 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:36 am

My cousin brougth me the game in ~1992, I think. I was 7 years old and spent a lot of time loosing against cplayer :D

Then, around year 2000 I started playing some games at echocluster.com and started understanding the game. When Echocluster was shut down, I moved to rcworld.com and played something like 3 or 4 games there.

After 3 or 4 years break I was hit again by this incurable fever and started again at Havok's :D

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Desert-Fox (my original co-op) and I used to run BBS's back in the late 80's (Commodore 64) and early 90's (PC) and it was during that time that we discovered VGA Planets and used to play it via a Door on his BBS. Players would log into the BBS and download their RST file from the door, play their turn and then log back into the BBS and upload it before the hosting time.

Best $15.00 I've ever spent.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#6 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I was introduced to it by a guy at work in '97. Played at NAVGAP for a while and when that site went down I came to CM with a few games here and there at High Command and RCWorld.

Gotta agree with ][avok - best $15 investment ever.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Klauser

Post#7 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:25 pm

I've posted this story before, but it bears repeating ...

"I was playing in a shareware game back in the early 90s when I was still learning the game. I was playing the Feds, and I had snuck a NOCTURNE into Crystal space. Well, I got flushed out by an EMERALD BCR and zig-zagging back to my empire, but he was hard on my butt - clearly had me in his sights and I suspected he had the EMERALD set on intercept. I was still learning about torpedos and minefields when I had an epiphany. Sure enough, when I dumped my remaining torps (Mk 2s ???) into a small minefield, the EMERALD (still on intercept) plowed right into it, taking two minehits. It slowed him down enough that I made my escape. At that point, I decided I NEEDED to register this game."

Like ][avok said - best $15 I've ever spent!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

FireAge

Post#8 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:44 pm

I was introduced on the university by my brother, played one game as Empire and got destroyed, not understanding what to do at all. Played Borg after that, and won easily as noone knew that Borg needs to be stopped early.

Then I stopped until 5 years ago, when I found my trusty old floppy and decided to look around if this game still existed. Ended up at RCworld, and moved here when Ricky closed it down.

Will need to take a break soon, as it's hard to combine playing with baby + new house + 60 hours job. But will be back as soon as I can afterwards. It's good for my brain :D

Kid Khan

Post#9 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:08 am

I also was introduced to VGAP by a friend back in 98 I guess it was. We played with 4 guys in private games in the beginning. I will never forget my very first game, playing the Lizards. I thought the LCC was a VERY powerful ship, even more powerful with MK3 torpedoes and Mk6 guns, hell, I was going to conquer the universe! And even combining 4 or 5 of them to a cloaked fleet, I could take out anything.. I thought. So I attacked a Borg Bio.....
I guess some ppl learn by reading the manual, some others by sheer pain. When I saw the mess after opening the RST, it was... at bit like the "Red Wedding" in GoT, may be.
I kept playing on NAVGAP until it shut down and came over here then, with some offs and ons over the years.

Return to “Scuttlebutt”