Minefield Identity

Here you will find the VGA Planets veterans helping out new players. This is a great place to learn battle tactics, logistics and more.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Aleortu

Minefield Identity

Post#1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I have never used the fcode to lay mines under other race's identity. I need to do it now to stop an enemy advance.

My question is: What happens if I lay mines under identity of an enemy race (I mean not allied)? :?:
The obvious answer seems "your ships will explode the same way your enemy's do". Please confirm this info, I have found nothing in help pages after searching for it.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Donovan

Re: Minefield Identity

Post#2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

The minefield will just be an enemy minefield, as if they laid it themselves. So basically, your ships will explode the same way your enemy's do. Also, the enemy minefield will destroy your minefield if they overlap.

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Outside of provoking a war between two other races, I've never seen much value in this ability. Does anyone have a tactical reason for doing this?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Raven2

Post#4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 pm

If you're allied, you can use the ability to lay minefields under your ally's identity. This will allow you to lay fields within fields, essentially doubling the chances of an enemy hitting a mine.
>>> Raven <<<

High Command

Post#5 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:00 am

Ship movement happens after mine laying, so as Donovan said: Say farewell to your ships.
The only reason I can imagine: if you don't move and stay inside the minefield...but in this case, you can also lay a field of your own race. Maybe to double it also in the name of your allies race (fc: miX, with X = race ID).

streu

Post#6 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:28 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Outside of provoking a war between two other races, I've never seen much value in this ability. Does anyone have a tactical reason for doing this?
You can find out whether two races are allied by dropping a minefield owned by A inside a minefield owned by B.

You can get rid of an own or allied minefield quickly by counter-laying an enemy minefield.

--Stefan

Gilgamesh

Post#7 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 am

I like the first point.

Second point - if I needed to clear my own minefield (not sure why I would need to do that) I would rather sweep with msc FC, if I had the capacity with the ships at that location.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

High Command

Post#8 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:40 am

streu wrote:You can find out whether two races are allied by dropping a minefield owned by A inside a minefield owned by B.
Nice idea. Never thought about that...

Return to “Mentoring”