Towing a cloaked

Here you will find the VGA Planets veterans helping out new players. This is a great place to learn battle tactics, logistics and more.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Aleortu

Towing a cloaked

Post#1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:10 am

I have read that a ship can tow an enemy cloacker if they perform the mission in the same turn. That is: the cloaker is visible, the enemy locks tow on it and then the other ship cloaks.

I am playing in a game where my ships move around cloaked and suddenly they are towed away by my enemy. I assume he can't see me because he does not attack nor rob my fuel but he is towing me around the echocluster.
I
How can this happen?

Even if he was watching my ship turns earlier before it cloaks (to see where it was going) the mission can not perform because he can't pick the ID of a ship who's out of range.
Ale Ortu
from far away planet Argentina
My races are Birds and Colonials.

Caligula

Re: Towing a cloaked

Post#2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:24 am

Maybe your ship just had a cloaking fauilure. The probability for this usually is 1%. Your enemy simply took the opportunity to lock the tow beam. I guess your ship's cloak mission is active again, so it cannot be attacked.
If this has happened to several of your ships then you either had really bad luck or your enemy is controlled by the computer player Q, who is able to put a lock on ships even if they are cloaked.

Aleortu

Post#3 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

We know the Q can do .... amazing things :evil:

But not, he's a human and is towing two or three of my ships. If it was a cloak failure he should have robed my fuel instead of towing me around.
II do not know if he is aware of that! I will ask him when the game ends. :?:
Ale Ortu

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:01 am

Do you trust your ally? If the enemy can see your ships through an rst shared he should be able to tow your cloaker.

Marcel

Post#5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:29 am

Hi Aleortu,
I think I know which game you talking about ;)

To understand, you must know the "lock towbeam" mechanic:
In the very early stages of the hostrun, the towbeam is locked onto the intended towee. This happens before ships cloak, so if you try to tow an enemy ship that cloaks the same turn, the cloaking does not disable the towing. The same goes for towing cloaked allied ships. As long as they are visible when you give the order, the towbeam will be locked. You can tow your own ships regardless of them being cloaked or not. To lock a towbeam as defined in this description, a ship does not need to have fuel onboard. It does need fuel to actually tow(capture) a ship. (http://www.donovansvgap.com/)

Once you set the lock (I catched you uncloaked) and don't change the ships mission, the lock will be activated again (before cloaking). BUT as mention, the cloak will be also aktiv and I can't attack :(

Hope that helps ;)
Marcel (alias Priv in NF140)

Aleortu

Post#6 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 am

Marcel! 8)
I tried to give little information to avoid my enemy to know, but you are here!

I know the info you posted, that made me wonder how that happened and more than once, thank you for giving me the answer: "I catched you uncloaked".

I don't know how it happened because I was cloaked since before arriving the conflict zone,it must have been a cloak failure and I have not payed attention to the warning message. #-o

Thank you for the ride anyway :lol:
Ale Ortu

Return to “Mentoring”