Time for AQ9

Want a VGA Planets game with custom settings? Have an idea for a tournament? Post it here.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Fexer

Time for AQ9

Post#1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 am

Hi folks,

congrats for the AQ8 champs Raven2 and Logain.
They are a seasoned team and fun to play against!

I would love to participate in the next AQ game although I never played one before.
Havoc/Bitmask what are you thinking about setting up AQ9.
Take me as your first contender. Who else is interested in starting a new Alpha Quadrant?

Fexer
Last edited by Fexer on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

wasp

Re: Time for AQ9

Post#2 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:15 am

Count me in :D
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Raven2

Post#3 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks Fexer!
Mark me as a maybe on AQ9. Depends on the addons in use and the HCONFIG settings. The AQ8 addons and HCONFIG settings were considerably different than those called for under Klauser's AQ Scenario. Namely, Klauser's scenario did not allow races 9 and A (the Cardassian and Ferrengi) to build fighters in space. The only race that had that ability was the Maquis. It gave the Maquis that singular advantage to make them an attractive ally for a more powerful race that could protect them (ie Fed or Borg). Also, when you look at the cargo holds of some of the transports that have a fighter bay, it becomes obvious that the manufacture of massive numbers of fighters becomes relatively easy.
Also, I believe Klauser's scenario allows all races except the Maquis a certain number of free SB fighters each turn. I think this is intended to counter the beefed up firepower of ships like the Kllingon Battleship. In AQ8 there were no free fighters at SBs (much to my dismay as the Borg).
>>> Raven <<<

Gavan

Post#4 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:24 pm

I would also be up for another AQ game. =D>
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Fexer

Post#5 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:23 am

Raven2 wrote:Thanks Fexer!
Mark me as a maybe on AQ9. Depends on the addons in use and the HCONFIG settings. The AQ8 addons and HCONFIG settings were considerably different than those called for under Klauser's AQ Scenario. Namely, Klauser's scenario did not allow races 9 and A (the Cardassian and Ferrengi) to build fighters in space. The only race that had that ability was the Maquis. It gave the Maquis that singular advantage to make them an attractive ally for a more powerful race that could protect them (ie Fed or Borg). Also, when you look at the cargo holds of some of the transports that have a fighter bay, it becomes obvious that the manufacture of massive numbers of fighters becomes relatively easy.
Also, I believe Klauser's scenario allows all races except the Maquis a certain number of free SB fighters each turn. I think this is intended to counter the beefed up firepower of ships like the Kllingon Battleship. In AQ8 there were no free fighters at SBs (much to my dismay as the Borg).

Well I think you guys have the most experience playing the AQ series. In my opinion it would be best if you just decide upon the scenario layout. Just make some proposals on the hconfig settings and I'm sure Havoc or BitMas will take care of it...
I would play any AQ layout...

:D

casebolt

Post#6 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:55 am

I would consider another run, if its a team game need a teammate and setup should be circle so 2 don't end up in mid.

Fexer

Post#7 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:03 am

casebolt wrote:I would consider another run, if its a team game need a teammate and setup should be circle so 2 don't end up in mid.

Team game is fine with me as well. :mrgreen:

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#8 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:40 am

It sucks being in the middle, but at least you know you won't be alone (for long)...
Nothing worse than a boring game in Planets

Raven2

Post#9 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I've never played an AQ "team game." Most AQ games seem to end up in teams due to alliances, and I've seen some end up in 3 and 4 way alliances. That's why One Ally was used in AQ 8.

That's not to say you need an alliance to do well in AQ. In my first AQ game I went solo with the Klingon and kicked ass. It took an alliance of 3 or 4 to finally take me down!
>>> Raven <<<

Raven2

Post#10 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:57 pm

If you use a wrap-around map then everyone's in the middle!
Also tends to keep things interesting....
>>> Raven <<<

Klauser

Post#11 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Since you're drumming up support for a new AQ game, I will crack upen the data files and incorporate the changes suggested in the following thread: http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 427&t=5485

I should have it knocked out and packaged for ][avok by next weekend.

[edited to add] If anyone interested in AQ has additional comments and/or suggestions, please post them in the linked thread!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Logain

Post#12 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:35 am

You guys are killing me! My wife didn't realize I went straight from SFB4 to AQ8 so she thinks I've been playing one game for the past two plus years 8) I finally get through and start planning the rebuild on the sports car sitting in the driveway and you're already dangling the bait to go again =P~

Must resist AQ9... Must resist AQ9... Must resist AQ9 [-X #-o [-o<

Fexer

Post#13 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:15 am

Logain wrote:You guys are killing me! My wife didn't realize I went straight from SFB4 to AQ8 so she thinks I've been playing one game for the past two plus years 8) I finally get through and start planning the rebuild on the sports car sitting in the driveway and you're already dangling the bait to go again =P~

Must resist AQ9... Must resist AQ9... Must resist AQ9 [-X #-o [-o<

Hey Logain,

as we all know. "RESITANCE IS FUTILE" :borgs:
If she didn't realize the game switch from SB4 to AQ8, why should she realize the seamless extension to AQ9! :mrgreen:
It's just the logical consequence...

Caligula

Post#14 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:10 am

I would like to participate, too :)

Raven2

Post#15 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Klauser wrote:Since you're drumming up support for a new AQ game, I will crack upen the data files and incorporate the changes suggested in the following thread: http://www.circus-maximus.com/forums/vi ... 427&t=5485

I should have it knocked out and packaged for ][avok by next weekend.

[edited to add] If anyone interested in AQ has additional comments and/or suggestions, please post them in the linked thread!
That's awesome Klauser. Thanks!
>>> Raven <<<

Return to “Game Suggestions”